Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Price increase??

Options
  • 21-01-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

I just received an email to say that my monthly Subscription is going up €14 a month from €144 to €160, this equals a 10% price increase!!!!

What the hell are UPC on??

UPC_zpsfc184a7c.jpg

Keep the increase to a miminum my ARSE....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

In my opinion, its a bit of a dirty trick, in 2013 they roll out the Horizin system, hoover up a big share of the market and then bam! increase the prices.
    The only grace for them is that most customer who have all 3 products with them (TV, Phone & Broadband) are still getting it cheaper that any of the competition.

Or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

celticbest wrote: »
    I just received an email to say that my monthly Subscription is going up €14 a month from €144 to €160, this equals a 10% price increase!!!!

What the hell are UPC on??

UPC_zpsfc184a7c.jpg

Keep the increase to a miminum my ARSE....

Are de making up these prices off the top of there heads??Cause mine is going up by £5.51 when my UPC account discount is applied.Have the Horizon 100mb package with multiroom,Sky & Setanta Sports Package in HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

I was a very satisfied UPC customer but that loyalty is wavering now and I'm going to take a look at the competition.

There have been a few price increases, each time trumpeting some fabulous new aspect of the service. Last year it was the Horizon App now its Horizon Free Wi-Fi. It's insulting to the intelligence of their customer base.

They have been doing well and now they want to squeeze a bit more out of the customers. It's now at a price point beyond what I want to pay for broadband and TV so even if I it means an inferior service I will switch.

My broadband with UPC isn't what it used to be anyway. I once got 30mbps now down to 2mbps at times.

tostao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I am moving house very soon.

I am on the middle Horizon package.

Since they have changed the terms and conditions of the contract, can I:

A) Leave without penalty

B) Open a new account with them when settled in new house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I am moving house very soon.

I am on the middle Horizon package.

Since they have changed the terms and conditions of the contract, can I:

A) Leave without penalty

B) Open a new account with them when settled in new house?

A - Yes ... it says it in the email:

"Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

B - not 100% sure ... possibly no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yosserhughes

What everybody should do (,as I do for all non essential services) is to tell them to stuff it and cancel the contract..As long as people put up with these endless price increases the more these companies will saddle the hard pressed people of Ireland...If enough people followed this advice they would soon drop their prices....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Haven't received anything yet. I wonder if that's because I didn't go onto any Horizon bundle after the trial finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

who_me wrote: »
    Haven't received anything yet. I wonder if that's because I didn't go onto any Horizon bundle after the trial finished.

Ahh you had more sense to stay away from Horizon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

who_me wrote: »

No, I was on the trial but didn't go onto a regular contract either; yet I got the email today too. Net increase of €7 per month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The new effective requirement to sign up to My UPC is very unfair to older customers who might not be as au fait with the internet. You shouldn't be charged for not taking up what until now has been an optional service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wolfman123

You can cancel the service if within the 30 days of date on the letter not when you got it..and also no fee to cancel if you move to area where upc is not available ..not your fault upc might not be there

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Has anyone rang up to cancel? Did they offer you anything to stay. A 10% price increase is taking the p*ss in this day and age especially with all the increased competition from Sky, Eircom etc

Be mindful sky are putting there price up also on the 1st feb...the regulator says a company can have as many price increases in a year as long a customer gets 1 months notice..and if they are not happy can cancel any service without penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

i don't think it is just a horizon price increase as the inlaws have just regular upc cable with multiroom and their increase is €5, i don't know how it breaks down as they are currently paying €23 a month which is digital value €17 and multiroom €6

i will do my nut if my dad gets a price increase as he is an mds customer and as i quote from their email,

Over the past 12 months, UPC has introduced superb new products to bring the best digital experience to our customers including Fibre Powered Horizon TV, superfast broadband and phone services. Through our network investments to date and our ongoing investments in programming, content and technology, we are focused on delivering quality and value for money to all of our customers

this certainly doesn't apply to those on third world mds!!

Mmds service get nothing but price increase soft targets is what they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

RQ2013 wrote: »
    Has anyone rang up to cancel? Did they offer you anything to stay. A 10% price increase is taking the p*ss in this day and age especially with all the increased competition from Sky, Eircom etc

I did. They said they couldn't do anything about the price increase and I already have all the available discounts but they did give me Sky Sports free for 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

I was on €47 inc VAT per month for BB & TV - agreed with their loyalty dept last month.

Got the robot email yesterday indicating €7pm increase.

Rang loyalty dept today - shouted at them a bit (sorry about that Sharon) - net result is they have reduced my bill to €45pm but renewed contract for 12months, starting today.

Actually the net result is my contempt for UPC is strong. What a crass way to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Spoke with them this morning - had spoken to them last week because the horizon box was quite poor - wifi signal is about 1/4 as good as was with the separate modem. I told them I was looking at alternatives, but would like to stick with them for broadband and phone. They are trying to persuade me to stick with the horizon box for tv - and they will give me half price for the next three months ... not a bad little deal tbh - as long as the broadband improves significantly with the new router. if it doesnt, then I am out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

deravarra wrote: »
    Spoke with them this morning - had spoken to them last week because the horizon box was quite poor - wifi signal is about 1/4 as good as was with the separate modem. I told them I was looking at alternatives, but would like to stick with them for broadband and phone. They are trying to persuade me to stick with the horizon box for tv - and they will give me half price for the next three months ... not a bad little deal tbh - as long as the broadband improves significantly with the new router. if it doesnt, then I am out :)

But if you take the "half price for three months" offer, that will tie you into a 12-month contract.

kooga wrote: »
    i don't think it is just a horizon price increase as the inlaws have just regular upc cable with multiroom and their increase is €5, i don't know how it breaks down as they are currently paying €23 a month which is digital value €17 and multiroom €6

i will do my nut if my dad gets a price increase as he is an mds customer and as i quote from their email,

Over the past 12 months, UPC has introduced superb new products to bring the best digital experience to our customers including Fibre Powered Horizon TV, superfast broadband and phone services. Through our network investments to date and our ongoing investments in programming, content and technology, we are focused on delivering quality and value for money to all of our customers

just rang UPC and the price increase for my inlaws works out as follows

loyalty digital value €17 up to €20
    multiroom €6 up to €8

Mds went up in january
    multiroom up €6 to €8

so a little over a year ago multiroom was only a €5!
    Hard to justify UPC for Tv only now. While on the phone they offered me horizon, i politely declined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

full breakdown of price increases....

3 euro extra for sky sports????? WTF

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

full breakdown of price increases....

3 euro extra for sky sports????? WTF

laugh sky sports goes up minus espn, reduction in the amount of football and no aviva premiership rugby! makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kooga wrote: »

Might be the quickest way to move MMDS subscribers off the network prior to it switching off in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

wolfman123 wrote: »
    Mmds service get nothing but price increase soft targets is what they are

Any word on an official announcement from UPC regarding the ending of the MMDS service in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm on Horizon max with no sports or movies, multiroom (basic silver Pace box in the bedroom), 150MB Broadband and 'Digital Telephony - Basic' which used to be called 'Anytime World' - my monthly charge is going down by 63c and my BB is going to be upgraded to 200 mbps on March 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

The net effect of the last 6 months with UPC for me: several subscription channels removed, subscription cost increased. :mad:

Moving house soon, bye bye UPC

Edit: And god knows how much they pay Craig Doyle to keep saying the word "Extraaawwwwwdiny'. Pay Doyle less and stop charging me more....

The Cush wrote: »
    Might be the quickest way to move MMDS subscribers off the network prior to it switching off in 2 years.

for many getting them off mmds is of no benefit to upc, for may in mmds land the alternatives are either sky or fta as there is no upc cable option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I am on the basic 50Mb package with phone and unlimited use. They are upgrading me to 120Mb on march 1st and my costs are going up by 0. Still trying to figure it out but wooooo

The licence was renewed last year for 2 years..it looks like they are trying to push all mmds customers towards sky..because if upc was in a position to cable the areas and a customer left then any provider could use the cabling that upc paid to install...

• Advertisement

Markx wrote: »
    The net effect of the last 6 months with UPC for me: several subscription channels removed, subscription cost increased. :mad:

Moving house soon, bye bye UPC

Edit: And god knows how much they pay Craig Doyle to keep saying the word "Extraaawwwwwdiny'. Pay Doyle less and stop charging me more....

To be fair and I looked into this ..if a channel stops broadcasting say like espn they sold the rights to bt sports nothing a broadcaster can do to stop this..also like mgm hd stoped they have different shareholders than mgm standard definition thats why that is still broadcasting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement