Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Hi Chris,
    Just what I imagined.
    Bit too late for you but think I will steer clear for a few months

I think I'll cancel the service if it doesn't improve over the next few days. It doesn't seem fit for purpose at present. To be fair, when it does work it is amazing but it's dropped out twice today and takes around 20-30 mins to recover.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I think I'll cancel the service if it doesn't improve over the next few days. It doesn't seem fit for purpose at present. To be fair, when it does work it is amazing but it's dropped out twice today and takes around 20-30 mins to recover.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    Amazing, why ?

I got eVision installed today. When it works it is amazing - but it's dropped out twice today and has taken around 20-30 mins to recover each time (down again at present). Even the installer had to call the support team who said 'the platform is down at present' (I made sure that I wrote down that quote).

It uses around 20Mbs of my eFibre connection but the picture quality is excellent. There seems to be a problem with HDMI syncing to my Philips TV through my Denon switch - picture flicks on and off while at the eVision boot screen. This really looks unfinished and not ready to launch.

Again, a vast improvement over our Sky system but really feels unreliable.

Chris

Why cancel? Simple, it doesn't feel reliable. I'm surfing at present because the system isn't working - third time today if you include all the problems the installer guy had getting the system to start in the first place.

You mentioned that you had Sky - we do too (as well as a Humax HD Freesat) - the eVision system blows them both out of the water. It really looks superb (worth the 20Mb/s hit on my eFibre connection) but isn't reliable enough at present.

I'll give it a day or two to get it sorted but then I'm cancelling the service. Obviously if it gets better I'll keep it and update this thread.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    Why is the eVision amazing, the speed,interface, usability of the evision box ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

What the channel change speed like compared to SKY?

Way faster at switching channels and having the left-hand channel scroll is very cool. Unfortunately it's crashed three times today. Tech support are talking about 'platform problems'

ONE MASSIVE PROBLEM - Eircom dropped my profile without telling me from 50Mb to 40Mb to ensure that eVision would work. That really <annoys> me. I told them that this alone was reason to dump the service.

If you get eVision installed, make sure that you are still on the broadband profile that you think - Eirocom may have changed it without letting you know.

Just discovered that my profile was dropped from 50Mb (which connected reliably and delivered 48Mb/s for months now) to 40Mb (we're now getting 39Mb/s) to ensure that eVision worked reliably. Nobody mention that this was going to happen. I only discovered that by accident when complaining about the unreliable eVision service (three outages today - no TV!). The nice tech support person told me that this was to ensure that the eVision experience was smooth - ironic really.

Chris

All of the above - seriously this would be a no-brainer except that it doesn't work reliably. Each time the system is powered on, it's taken a random amount of time to start up with the minimum being 20mins and the max now at about an hour an counting.

I just got an eVision system installed - it's hooked up to my old reliable Denon receiver. Unfortunately switching inputs on the Denon causes the eVision to reset - a process which may or not complete (sometimes as 'fast' as 20 mins, other times who knows).

If anyone has an idea how to resolve the problem, please post here.

Chris

• Advertisement

Ok. Had enough. I'm cancelling this. It just doesn't work reliably. I've posted more on the 'Talk to Eircom' section.

Ok. Had enough. I'm cancelling this. It just doesn't work reliably. I've posted more on the 'Talk to Eircom' section.

Seen your posts on the talk to section, good luck with cancelling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I know its no excuse, but it is early days and bound to have teething problems, however they shouldn't have launched it until these problems were ironed out. I cant believe that you say its better quality than either Sky HD or Freesat HD ! I will have eFibre in my area soon and you have me intrigued enough to want to try it,despite the problems. Im sure these issues will be sorted, but the lack of ITV/UTV is a major issue.

PS, is it too late for you to post pictures of the EPG etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I got eVision installed today. When it works it is amazing - but it's dropped out twice today and has taken around 20-30 mins to recover each time
    :eek:

Again, a vast improvement over our Sky system
    :eek: again. I find that hard to believe somehow. Sky are the top satellite broadcaster on the planet.

Certainly not too late to post some pics. I'll take some snaps when it comes back up - it goes down if I switch inputs on my Denon receiver!

Really pretty nice interface but some huge bugs and some small ones e.g. the lovely scrolling channel display which pops up on the left side of the screen doesn't make it clear that some channels can't be selected (not in your package) but the net effect is that the pressing up or down on the remote causes the selection to mover along apparently at random. Annoying but you could live with it. You can't live with it losing connection to the backend platform.

Chris

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged multiple threads. ChrisMcCauley, I realise your not happy with your eVision experience, but starting two threads and hijacking a third (as well as posting in this one) is carrying it a bit too far. Can we keep the eVision talk to this thread please, for now at least.

Certainly no intention to hijack threads. Each thread had someone asking about eVision. I have it and just responded to each person.

By the way, no need to shout

I'm a little confused TBH. You have said it's all of these:

Amazing, slick, buggy, and unreliable. ??????????/

Mr.S wrote: »
    But the difference between 50Mb and 40Mb is unnoticable, a few extra seconds to downloads if you can even find a decent connection!

Agreed if you are only running one or two services at a time but factor in one or two Netflix sessions, eVision, the usual few browser sessions (or worse, streaming HD from iTunes) and losing 20% becomes a pain.

Regardless, it's the fact that they did it without consulting the customer, that's what annoys me.

Chris

7upfree wrote: »
    I'm a little confused TBH. You have said it's all of these:

Amazing, slick, buggy, and unreliable. ??????????/

Yes and it is all those things. Amazingly fast with superb quality of picture and slick animations on the channel changes but spends ages trying to reconnect to the back-end services (buggy & unreliable) on restart. Multiple failures today - even switching inputs on the Home Cinema system causes it to restart.

Someday it will be amazing and slick but today it is that plus buggy and unreliable.

Chris

• Advertisement

Yes and it is all those things. Amazingly fast with superb quality of picture and slick animations on the channel changes but spends ages trying to reconnect to the back-end services (buggy & unreliable) on restart. Multiple failures today - even switching inputs on the Home Cinema system causes it to restart.

Someday it will be amazing and slick but today it is that plus buggy and unreliable.

Chris

I'll take your word Chris!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 namrod28

Hi Chris or anyone who could help.
    Im moving to a new house next week and thinking of getting the whole eircom bundle but the only problem for me would be the lack of info on how good evision is, teething probs etc. The price does look good but the lack of channels and lack of knowledge on if and when itv sky1 ss3,ss4 and ssnews will be available does worry me.
    Just not sure what to do so any advice would be great Thanks...

Hi,

In order of my preference ...

UPC seems to be the best overall package so go for that if you can (it isn't available where I live).

I've had excellent experience with Eircom's field staff so I recommend them as a telephone & broadband provider but eVision failed badly for me so skip that for now.

Sky TV worked fine for me but given their previous attitude to Irish customers, I would use them only if you needed RTE or lots of sports channels (not me). A reasonable alternative is a Freesat system such as the Humax ones. I have a HD box and love it, you get the BBC and UTV HD channels for free but you need a satellite dish - maybe you are moving to a house with an existing Sky dish and that would be fine.

I had really bad experiences with Vodafone so cannot recommend them.

Don't forget that if you aren't using a cable system, your phone and broadband are probably going to run over eircom lines so you either end up as an eircom customer or a customer of an eircom customer - guess which of the two get better service from the eircom field team.

Regardless, get an Apple TV if you get a decent broadband connection. Netflix works well with it and you have the option to purchase or rent movies.

Good luck with the move!

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Don't forget that if you aren't using a cable system, your phone and broadband are probably going to run over eircom lines so you either end up as an eircom customer or a customer of an eircom customer - guess which of the two get better service from the eircom field team.

Chris

In theory, that shouldn't happen anymore. They've become really, really, really careful about separating Eircom Wholesale and Eircom Retail as ComReg is watching them like a hawk on it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I have had evision installed about 2 weeks now.. so far so good. Have seen none of the issues with connecting described above.. Once in the 2 weeks the screen stalled for half a second but other than that its been faultless.

I have a second TV connected as well which is done using Devolo homeplugs. I already had a pair of homeplugs installed and it didnt interfere with these.

Interestingly each TV gets its own switch port on the router.

They do seem to try and make the speed of the line stable so my 50M dropped to 43M just before the install. I cant be sure if its related but it is a big co-incidence. It doesnt make a lot of difference in reality in my house anyway where I would normally have up to 5 streams running in parallel most evenings (nextflix, plex, etc)

The QOS they have on the routers seems to work well and no matter what other downloading is going on has no effect on the TV quality

Some of the family miss ITV but hopefully thats only temporary. I hear they are awaiting a license

So, all I can say is...at half the price I was paying UPC (€15 vs 30)I'm pretty happy so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It has no Sky channels.... Granted Sky owns a shed load of channels and probably put a hefty sum on them but still.
    The more choice for the consumer the better I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 namrod28

Thanks for the help, still no closer to making a decision though... time will tell I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

No sign of Vodafone even hinting at such a service? I guess it would probably just piggyback off the Eircom network anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

namrod28 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, still no closer to making a decision though... time will tell I guess

My latest year with UPC is up and so my loyalty discounts have expired. My monthly bill for TV and Broadband is now over €100 ( I have non-HD sky sports) and it's a lot of money every year = 2.5k gross from my salary.

Is there no website that allows easy comparison of the offerings on sale from the now 3 TV providers? Or are their offers so convoluted, that they cannot be compared!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doesn't UPC drop your broadband when using TV? Also eircom have not nationally started selling this, its available but not being actively sold outside of Dublin. Phased roll out, hence no advertisements anywhere.

This seems to be aimed at a particular part of the market, providing the most popular channels. I remember doing a RedC survey on this ages ago about eircom and tv. Not taiolred for everyone I guess.

Advertisement