Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine-year-old girl who gives birth to baby is then sterilized by doctors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There is so much wrong with that story :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Surely the girl should have been taken into care. Her mother is a sex worker and refuses to cooperate with police regarding the rape of her daughter. I don't know how those things work in Mexico though, so perhaps doctors felt it was the least worse option for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

so perhaps doctors felt it was the least worse option for her.

if thats true its so depressing in so many different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Every line in that story is just a complete mind****. I read it yesterday and thought it was bad enough, but holy moses, a mother who doesn't realise underage sex is a crime (which presumes she was aware the kid was having sex) and a string of male relatives who may have had sex with her?

OK, it's the mail, so probably 50% of that is made up, but it's fairly horrific.

I would be skeptical that the hospital sterilised her for no good reason. There are rare cases when delivering a C-section birth that it is necessary to perform a hysterectomy to save the mother. If they did this, then I presume it's because her young age presented a serious complication to the procedure which left them no choice. I doubt the surgeon just decided to sterilise her on a whim.

davet82 wrote: »
    if thats true its so depressing in so many different ways

Well I'm only making assumptions about it. I'd be inclined to trust the doctors rather than the mother in this case though. But yeah, it's pretty depressing any way you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

didn't read the story

but any chance they just used clips on the fallopian tubes ?
    in which case there is some chance of undoing it later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

didn't read the story

but any chance they just used clips on the fallopian tubes ?
    in which case there is some chance of undoing it later on

Jubilee clips. She can undo them herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

That poor child. :(

In this case, the media attention can only be a good thing - hopefully someone will be able to take her and the baby out of that awful environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Such a shocking story. I'm surprised she was allowed to go home with her mother. She was eight years old when she got pregnant. That means she was raped, at least once, probably more. What sort of life does the poor girl have ahead of her? Apparently she doesn't go to school and spends all day doing housework, while being someone's play thing :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The whole situation is just shocking. Poor child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭madmammy

my eldest child is 8 now and i couldn't imagine how anyone would think it was ok for their 9yr old child to have a baby
    the poor thing is just there as a slave by the sounds of it and now she'll have more to deal with...scary thing is there was another story of a 12yr old that had twins in mexico the same day
    children should be aloud to be children its too short as it is
    just because of some sicko's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Best option would have been to sterilize her mother before the poor child was brought into a sh1tty home.

Jubilee clips. She can undo them herself

Would you stop. That's a little girl who's apparently been repeated raped and put through a childbirth her little body isn't built for, then sterilised. How you can make a joke about it is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Maybe they did it so that she would not have to go throught the trauma of being pregnant and giving birth at such a young age again. From the sounds of it she is just being given back to her rapist so they could have thought they were doing her a small mercy. It might sound archaic to us but you're talking about a country that is incredibly violent, corrupt and backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

seamus wrote: »
    I doubt the surgeon just decided to sterilise her on a whim.

Really?

Cos Michael Neary did that to Irish women here while working in Our Ladies of Lourdes in Drogheada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Neary_%28surgeon%29
    Michael Neary's actions caused national outrage, shock and even horror. The idea that a well-known and liked (as he was at the time) consultant obstetrician could needlessly remove women's wombs, and get away with it for so long, was shocking in itself, but the delay in discovery and investigation, and numerous other incidents that emerged following the publication of the Lourdes Inquiry, created a media storm and resulted in pages of coverage in newspapers. The women harmed by Dr. Neary came forward and spoke of their distress and how they still wonder why he did it. Represented by the group Patient Focus, they may receive compensation from the State for what happened to them, a matter that is being discussed in the Department of Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Candie wrote: »
    Would you stop. That's a little girl who's apparently been repeated raped and put through a childbirth her little body isn't built for, then sterilised. How you can make a joke about it is beyond me.

There's a clue in his username.

This is the wrong forum for this topic.
    Ask a mod to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Horrible, horrible story. Can't believe they let her go back home - she should be taken into care, along with the baby. What hope have they got back there?!

Just about the "sterilisation" thing, the Spanish newspapers are saying she got "un implante subdérmico" which I think is the contraceptive implant that women here get in their arms. It's just contraception, and can be removed, so I don't think she's permanently infertile.

Obviously it's hard to tell which paper has it right though, it's not like all the details are going to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Morag wrote: »
    Really?

Cos Michael Neary did that to Irish women here while working in Our Ladies of Lourdes in Drogheada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Neary_%28surgeon%29
    Without defending Neary, I wouldn't say he did it on a whim. Dr. Neary was mentally unstable and wrongly believed that he was doing what was necessary to save these women's lives. I don't think he ever just said, "Ah sure let's just do a hysterectomy while we're here."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

i disagree.
    there are large tracts of inner-city Dublin where sterilization would greatly improve the gene-pool.
    of course the bleeding hearts would have a field day, but from a societal point of view i see nothing wrong with sterilizing kids from certain dysfunctional backgrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

space_man wrote: »
    i disagree.
    there are large tracts of inner-city Dublin where sterilization would greatly improve the gene-pool.
    of course the bleeding hearts would have a field day, but from a societal point of view i see nothing wrong with sterilizing kids from certain dysfunctional backgrounds.

If you honestly believe this sh1te I really hope you don't have kids and pass on your bigoted views.

• Advertisement

i disagree.

You'd have to wonder how functional the parents of a person holding such opinions were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Heinrich Himmler and Josef Goebbels reincarnated... Jesus.

The Dagda wrote: »
    If you honestly believe this sh1te I really hope you don't have kids and pass on your bigoted views.

FYI
    i have 4 children, all attending private schooling and all will hopefully attend 3rd level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

FYI
    i have 4 children, all attending private schooling and all will hopefully attend 3rd level.

Hopefully they marry each other to maintain the purity.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully they marry each other to maintain the purity.

is that what your mum said to your uncle 'er i mean dad? LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

FYI
    Really? I'd never have guessed you were a wannabe-upperclass snob until that post.

Anyone who would support sterilization of a group of people based purely on the start they've been given in life is either an disgusting bigot, or mentally unstable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

from a societal point of view i see nothing wrong with sterilizing kids from certain dysfunctional backgrounds.

Intergalactic Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

FYI

Hopefully all the education and time away from you will dilute your ignorant delusions out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

MagicSean wrote: »
    It might sound archaic to us but you're talking about a country that is incredibly violent, corrupt and backward.

Didn't an Irish hospital leave a woman to die less than six months ago after she pleaded for an abortion?

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »
    Hopefully all the education and time away from you will dilute your ignorant delusions out of them.

doubtless they'll formulate their own opinions in time. (some are already quite opinionated i'll have you know!)

that said there are families who by the very act of procreation diminish and cheapen society. one only has to take a casual stroll down our capital's main thoroughfare to be able to identify them. apart from anything else it will save the exchequer a small fortune on child benefits, dole payments, medical cards, free legal aid, prisons etc.

Advertisement