Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career Advice

Options
  • 17-03-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I currently work for one of the American big four banks in Belfast for the last two years after graduating from Uni. I was doing a development role up until January then moved into support role (wont go into how that happened) which I really dislike and I want to move back into development.

The two years in the development while I learned about source control, doing code reviews, tracking development tasks, debugging code, building jars and running them I didn't learn all that much about actually coding I was just doing small bug fixes which where mostly about adding a if statement to some method and picking up values from db/config files then changing the message to go to other application.

Now that I want to move, my Java coding skill very rusty and the fact I dont want to stay in Belfast anymore I was wondering what should I do.
    1. I can try and move internally again (they have a big hard on for that) but in a different location.
    2. Just look for jobs online where I will be able to get help from more senior developers and get my coding skills up to scratch.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

done4now wrote: »
    I was doing a development role up until January then moved into support role (wont go into how that happened) which I really dislike and I want to move back into development.

Heh, I'm guessing its not too good then. You would want t expand on the point above before anyone can give any relevant advice as that move is huge and backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Heh, I'm guessing its not too good then. You would want t expand on the point above before anyone can give any relevant advice as that move is huge and backwards?

My manager kept on pushing back on work and as a result they cut the head count so me and two senior developers got moved off the team. I was pushed onto a support role as there was an open position in my dept where I was told I would be developing tools for support team. I was planning on moving anyway so I decided to do a support role to build up my business knowledge before leaving. Then my manager in London took a new position and I got a new manager in New York who wants me just to do Business Support (which I never wanted to do) and doesn't want me to create tools.

I am debating on weather or not to put down my current role on my CV as my title has changed to support and as you said looks like a backward step. If put it down how would be the best way to explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

done4now wrote: »
    My manager kept on pushing back on work and as a result they cut the head count so me and two senior developers got moved off the team. I was pushed onto a support role as there was an open position in my dept where I was told I would be developing tools for support team. I was planning on moving anyway so I decided to do a support role to build up my business knowledge before leaving. Then my manager in London took a new position and I got a new manager in New York who wants me just to do Business Support (which I never wanted to do) and doesn't want me to create tools.

I am debating on weather or not to put down my current role on my CV as my title has changed to support and as you said looks like a backward step. If put it down how would be the best way to explain it?

List them as two separate jobs, I did this when I moved from support/sysadmin to development in the same company. if you have the chops you will get a chance to explain it in a phone/first interview.

Oh and sounds like a **** situation :( You are bang on to be start looking for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Move before you get rustier.

I got sidelined like that, as I try to be the team player. However the end result is almost always being left with all the crud that no one else wants to do.

Advertisement