Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Money saving tips

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

Never leave your laser card too close to a computer.. Dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I've been very tempted to cut up my credit card over the last few days but can't bring myself to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Don't waste money on expensive ipods. Simply think of your favourite tune and hum it. If you want to "switch tracks", simply think of another song you like and hum that instead.

I do this if I forget my iPod on the mornings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

when you are looking at flights online, and are returning to the same PC to book them the next day, delete the cookies and browsing history as the airline website can recognise a return visitor and the price will appear more expensive, or book the flight on a different pc.

I ran out of coloured printing ink for my inkjet printer one night lately, and I decided to experiment and refill the cartridge using food colouring, and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Murder someone and go to prison for a good few years,free room,free food and free sex.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Archeron wrote: »
    A toothpick rammed up the arse of a dead centipede will make an inexpensive new mascara brush for your missus. Likewise a chopstick and a dead hedgehog makes a great new hairbrush.

Yes and save a fortune by reading viz tips on AH instead of buying the increasingly expensive and ever shrinking viz magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    When you need to have the heat on, just have it on for a half hour then off for a half hour and so on. The house won't be toasty but it will be at a comfortable temperature when you're going to work or whatever, and halves the amout of oil/gas/electricity you use.

that uses more energy. because the water you are heating cools when its turned off so uses extra energy to reheat it - my plumber told me that.

Get a stackable set of steamer pots so you can cook your whole dinner on one gas ring/ hob.

for groceries you wouldnt buy in aldi/lidl always make sure and collect tesco/superquinn/dunnes points... tesco clubcard points can be converted to clubcard deals for 4 times the value on magazines, days out, irish ferries/stenaline.

use cashback websites like fatcheese.ie/cashbackireland.com/bethrifty.ie when shopping online.

always google for a voucher code when buying online.

price around for everything you need to buy and try to wait for sales if you need to buy something thats not urgent.

price utilites cost regularly, insurances, electric, gas, oil, to make sure you are getting the best possible price

go around your house and pick up items/clothes which you no longer use and sell them on ebay - wait for a special offer weekend when insertion fees are waived.

find out at work what extra's you are entitled to - eg vhi corporate discount, free use or discount on their products or services.

Martinsmoneysavingsexpert.co.uk is a uk website and their forums are great for ideas... its a great website in general - pity there wasnt an irish version of it.

Get rid of the credit card, littlewoods/oxendales/simply be accounts, store cards... ridiculous interest rates... if you need something pay for it straight away in an ordinary shop. there are plenty of prepaid credit cards and visa debit cards for internet shopping etc

stop buying newspapers and magazines, if something is that important you will hear about it and there are plenty of websites to get information on.

Clearout your car - carrying unnecessary weight uses more fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Get a peugeot 207 diesel, 104 road tax, spacious, nifty and unbelievable MPG I mean jaw dropping economy, I beginning to suspect someone is topping it up with diesel when I am in bed.

It actually feels like I have free motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

44leto wrote: »
    Get a peugeot 207 diesel, 104 road tax, spacious, nifty and unbelievable MPG I mean jaw dropping economy, I beginning to suspect someone is topping it up with diesel when I am in bed.

How do you manage this?! it went up to 160 i the Budget last year!!!! (Sorry i couldn't help it)

Might i counter suggest walking or even perhaps public transport!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

44leto wrote: »

Until the thing packs up or gets all sorts of strange and expensive to repair problems.

I havn't a good word to say about a Peugeot ending with the number 7 and I'd be fierce weary of very small diesel engines in cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Best way I find of saving money is only using notes when paying for stuff then dumping the coins into a jar. I rooted out just the €2 coins out of my change vault the other week and got 700 out of it. Probably have another couple hundred in €1 and odd change.

murphm45 wrote: »
    How do you manage this?! it went up to 160 i the Budget last year!!!! (Sorry i couldn't help it)

Might i counter suggest walking or even perhaps public transport!!

That all I paid in November. So I got in there just in time, but I now know my next will cost me 160:(. Its still better then the 600 or there abouts I use to pay.

I cycle as well but my job is 20 miles from were I live and Public transport to my job would be purgatory, but I do cycle to it in summertime.

eth0 wrote: »
    Until the thing packs up or gets all sorts of strange and expensive to repair problems.

I havn't a good word to say about a Peugeot ending with the number 7 and I'd be fierce weary of very small diesel engines in cars

That is a worry, but its a 11 so that shouldn't strike for a while, but then again I might be lucky and have a reliable one fingers crossed, but so far I am delirious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

syklops wrote: »
    Its not bad advice, but don't forget to SAVE the money you save from all that thriftiness. Dont leave it in your current account or you will spend it all on Amazon one late stormy night after a few glasses of Pinot Noir.
    Eever wrote: »
    Wash your hair in cold water?? That sounds horrible!
    Its really fine..
    I don't drink much or shop online but damn I try not to blow my budget by shopping hungry or going to a convience store.

when cooking turn off the gas/oven a few minutes early when cooking something that doesnt need a specific temperature, the food will finish cooking in the boiled water/own juices for the last few minutes.

follow the freebies thread in bargin alerts forum - i got free toothbrushes and sample size toothpaste and cereal recently.

close the curtains at night when you have the fire lighting or heating on to keep the heat in

OP how are you getting on, what have you taken on board??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Go to Courtown for your holidays...you get your drinks for free and loads of sex....so my sister told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Go to Courtown for your holidays...you get your drinks for free and loads of sex....so my sister told me!

She was your sister ?:eek:

Advertisement