Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolmine astro pitches -cars broken into.

• 06-05-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all,

Just back from football up there 8-9. Mates car was broken into, wallet and phone taken.
    His car was parked up where the pitches are but on the side facing the road.

Security lad seen a car pull in, grey Mitsubishi Galant and thought they were up to no good but managed to miss the lads breaking into his car..
    Anyway he got reg and mate has gone up to Blanch garda station.

So just be wary where you park and what you keep in the car as this was done in broad daylight.
    Finally, it was a Ford Focus and the security lad told me that Focus' tend be targeted up there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thats a pisser but have to wonder what security lad was doing at the time if he saw the car coming and going. I play in the astro in Tallaght and the security lad is well on the ball he directs people in to park away from the gate as much as possible checks off anyone he doesn't know asking them which pitch they are on and the booking name, he even noticed one week when I had driven a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Put up a partial REG so we can keep an eye on it, It was so busy tonight I was parked at the far end near the school, no lights, very dark and isolated. Always wary of leaving the car parked there, even more so now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I know, i did say it to the security fella and how he missed it, he said we went in to report the reg and when he came out the car was just going past him. Damage was done in that 60 seconds.

I never park up that end, I always try get there a bit early so i can grab a place up near the doors or facing the pitches.
    I dont actually have the reg but i'll get it off my buddy, rather not put it up but if you pm me i've no problem giving it out.

Oh and i should say the SG was certain they were Irish lads, mid 20's, looked like total skangers (his words).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Slattsy wrote: »
    I know, i did say it to the security fella and how he missed it, he said we went in to report the reg and when he came out the car was just going past him. Damage was done in that 60 seconds.
    Maybe he should get one of those new fancy "mobile" phones so he can report the reg while outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

Happened again tonight up there (playing 8-9) 4 cars facing the road were broken into, some phones, wallets & personal items stolen, it happened last week also.

1 of the cars broken into were from our group, nobody seen anything only noticed when the lads who were using the pitches from 8-9 went back to their cars.

Tbh the 'security gaurd' was of not help just said when he 'noticed some lads around the cars he went out but they were getting into a car'

Be vigilant lads if playing up there.

• Advertisement

**** sake.
    Where exactly were they parked, do you know?

I might mention to the manager up there tomorrow about the 'security guard', that he's basically a waste of space.
    Think he's there to act as some sort of deterrent but its clearly not working and if they dont start doing something about i'll have no qualms about finding another pitch somewhere.

**** sake.
    Where exactly were they parked, do you know?

I might mention to the manager up there tomorrow about the 'security guard', that he's basically a waste of space.
    Think he's there to act as some sort of deterrent but its clearly not working and if they dont start doing something about i'll have no qualms about finding another pitch somewhere.

Yes Slattsy we are the same tbh, it has happened our group 5 times the last 3 months alone. Security gaurd is no awful, seem like a nice chap but unhelpful in the situation. It seems to be happening literally every single week now.

Yes, it happens the cars parked opposite the road, never to the cars parked opposite the pitch as they would be seen obviously.

The manager or whoever runs the place never got back to us when we asked for better security a few weeks back. I understand you park your car there at your own risk but this is taking the pish.

There has to be some give and take with this 'your own risk' attitude, seems a bit too flippant.

If you know this is happening every week and absolutely nothing is being done then people will simply stop playing there, as im certain will happen.

In the meantime, is there space behind the goal to put personal stuff?
    Or are the swimming pool locker rooms open? There are lockers in there that people could use.

I bring my stuff with me onto the pitch.
    Should you have to though? How many people are oblivious to the volume of break ins?

But if some ****er is still breaking into your car regardless where you leave your personal items.. Your car has still been broken into and we'll have to suffer the cost of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Coolmine sports centre would want to be more pro-active with dealing with this.

The pitches are in bits, nets are barely hanging on the goals and with the brand new pitches up on at the National Sports Campus now open and €10 cheaper per hour (€55), they risk losing business.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

I bring my stuff with me onto the pitch.
    Should you have to though?
    You are completely right. You shouldn't have to lock up your house every time you leave. That is life, unfortunately.
    But if some ****er is still breaking into your car regardless where you leave your personal items.. Your car has still been broken into and we'll have to suffer the cost of that.
    I assumed that they were breaking into cars where items are in view. If items are hidden (e.g. in boot or locked glove compartment), then the situation is even worse.

daymobrew wrote: »
    You are completely right. You shouldn't have to lock up your house every time you leave. That is life, unfortunately.
    I assumed that they were breaking into cars where items are in view. If items are hidden (e.g. in boot or locked glove compartment), then the situation is even worse.

Well my mate had both his phone and wallet stolen, and both were out of sight as they were in the glove compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

Well my mate had both his phone and wallet stolen, and both were out of sight as they were in the glove compartment.
    Situation is getting ridiculous up there by the looks of things and Coolmine really need to step up to the plate. Either that, or you guys should get yourselves an alternative pitch. It has been a good earner for them so the least they could do is revamp to a decent level (far from its current condition) and make a even a half-arsed effort to secure the area.

dodzy wrote: »
    Situation is getting ridiculous up there by the looks of things and Coolmine really need to step up to the plate. Either that, or you guys should get yourselves an alternative pitch. It has been a good earner for them so the least they could do is revamp to a decent level (far from its current condition) and make a even a half-arsed effort to secure the area.

They could really do with upskilling the security gaurd tbh, or hire another one to accompany him.

How this can keep happening week after week with a security gaurd present is beyond a joke.

Falconno4 wrote: »
    They could really do with upskilling the security gaurd tbh, or hire another one to accompany him.

How this can keep happening week after week with a security gaurd present is beyond a joke.
    Forget the upskilling, just tell <SNIP>to run a frequent patrol around the cars that are parked outside.

Forget the upskilling, just tell <SNIP> to run a frequent patrol around the cars that are parked outside.

We could leave sandwiches dotted around the carpark, he might walk around it then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK guys, this is getting way too personal towards the security guard, let's back off a little here. Attacks on a person who could be local and easily identified are not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is the facility in Coolmine run by the council or is it a private enterprise? Either way a complaint should be brought to the top not just to whoever is sitting taking in the money. As I said in my earlier post I play in Tallaght every week and they had similar problems a few years ago and now have a great security guard on duty he's really on the ball and I haven't heard of any hassles in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭skippy15

In fairness to the security it is a big car park with multiple entry points and a lot of traffic (unlike tallaght), even if introduced a barrier system or something lot people do still be floating about.
    What's needed is better camera's or for the car park to be fenced in.

security is a little heavy so is getting bad press, but he is always walking around rarely seem his sitting down doing nothing. And he was able to snap a picture of the getaway car, management need get the finger out as I get the impression they are not too arsed granted they are making a fortune in the place. (owned by Coolmine sports complex under the school management I think)

• Advertisement

skippy15 wrote: »
    In fairness to the security it is a big car park with multiple entry points and a lot of traffic (unlike tallaght), even if introduced a barrier system or something lot people do still be floating about.
    What's needed is better camera's or for the car park to be fenced in.

security is a little heavy so is getting bad press, but he is always walking around rarely seem his sitting down doing nothing. And he was able to snap a picture of the getaway car, management need get the finger out as I get the impression they are not too arsed granted they are making a fortune in the place. (owned by Coolmine sports complex under the school management I think)

Cars are always broken into from the same place, cars facing away from the pitches & facing the road are the ones targetted (obviously never gonna try & break into the cars facing the pitches) Seems the thieves park outside and walk over the fence break in & then a quick getaway.

Coolmine management know about it so hopefully they can up security somehow or face losing alot of customers.

Falconno4 wrote: »
    Cars are always broken into from the same place, cars facing away from the pitches & facing the road are the ones targetted (obviously never gonna try & break into the cars facing the pitches) Seems the thieves park outside and walk over the fence break in & then a quick getaway.

Coolmine management know about it so hopefully they can up security somehow or face losing alot of customers.

Its mad, they are basically doing it under his nose, thats where he always stands around and walks from there to the gate and back again. You'd think they would be doing it by the Coolmine school end where its dark and covered around with trees. It just makes me wonder why they choose where everyone can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Brand new Astro pitch in Ongar Community Centre. As far as I recall it's cheaper than Coolmine and much more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Bit late to this but the security guard let me park in the disabled spaces a few weeks back as they were targetting cars. He's a nice chap but maybe needs a bit of support as its still going on. No matter where you move to its always a possibility.

I've always parked there when it's clear to be honest.

I just get out and start limping if anyone looks at me funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

i wonder if coolmine management is aware of how difficult the situation is becoming, according to your posts.
    maybe would be good idea to post when and what was stolen. then send them a list in form of petition for them to do something about it.

I've always parked there when it's clear to be honest.

I just get out and start limping if anyone looks at me funny.
    Limping......wearing a full kit. Very convincing :D

Limping......wearing a full kit. Very convincing :D

Im grand after a wee warm up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i used to do a bootcamp at coolmine last year. Same thing happened to me and others at the time. Seems to be on ongoing problem for a long time.

The place should do more to prevent it. Cameras and warning signs.

Id never park there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Was in there recently and noticed there's another security lad. They also weren't wearing the luminous tops so they don't stand out as much.

Advertisement