Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying car radio for my Dad, any help appreciated

• 06-03-2014 8:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Hello, I should probably start off by saying I haven't a clue about cars. I don't own one or even know how to drive so I am an absolutely newbie to this stuff.

My Dad recently had to retire his ancient SEAT as the rust was causing it to fail the NCT. Fair play to him he really kept the thing going for a long time but rust is unbeatable. He now has a Ford Focus hatchback from 2002 and it suits him very well. However he has no radio with the car. There was some mix up and he ended up either entering the radio code wrong or it just won't work anymore.

I'd really like to buy him a new radio, nothing super fancy as if it had too many buttons or functions it would only annoy him. I just have zero clue about car radios. Can it be any radio? Does it have to be from a Ford car or made for a Ford?

I'd really appreciate any advice or tips that anyone might have. My Dad has done a lot for me throughout my life and I know just buying a car radio would never repay everything he has ever done it would just be nice thing to do with his birthday coming up.

Thanks and sorry for being a total newb!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

First step would be getting the code for the original radio

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287102

You could fit any aftermarket stereo of course but the ford one is nice and simple, has the clock built in and works with the steering wheel controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Would agree with colm. Keeping the seat going for so long would suggest your dad isn't big on gadgets and new technology, so unless he has a burning need to play mp3 from a usb stick - get factory radio sorted instead.

If the car wasnt valeted inside or paintwork wasn't polished when he got it you could suss out a good local valeting place?

A small thing that can make a huge difference is a set of nightbreaker bulbs, much better light but the price versus standard bulbs can put people off. Focus headlamps lenses might be gone a bit cloudy with age - can be sorted with elbow grease and toothpaste. Worth it for better vision at night.

Or a car kit for his phone if he is the type toto drive holding a phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Agree with the lads on this one. Aftermarket radios don't look well in the focus and you would need to buy a special facia unit for it to fit and stay in. The original radios have come down in price and can be bought cheaply. Plenty around the place in breakers and on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FORD-6000-CD-RDS-E-O-N-CD-RADIO-STEREO-IN-BLACK-puma-fiesta-focus-with-code-/261414805754?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cdd8960fa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

all good advice, was going to say something similar when I got part way through your OP.
    I think aftermarket radios dont look as good as those fitted at manufacture, more especially for newere cars where the design is blended to the interior (dash design).

If the radio code can be gotten that'd be the best and cheapest option, if the radio is faulty, it could be a warranty issue or the people that supplied the car if it wasn't a private sale might be able to help you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement