Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I prefer the coupes marginally BUT the 5 series m sport, are alot cheaper than the 3 series m sport coupes and dont have the subframe issues that SOME of the earlier E46's had... google e46 subframe failure for more information...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just FYI, as a preventative maintenance item you can buy subframe reinforcement plates for €130. It's not like there's nothing you can do.

And as Alan said, a 520 e39 is a long shot off a 325i msport. He's coming from an automatic polo the poor lad, he doesn't want to go into an old man mobile just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just FYI, as a preventative maintenance item you can buy subframe reinforcement plates for €130. It's not like there's nothing you can do.

And as Alan said, a 520 e39 is a long shot off a 325i msport. He's coming from an automatic polo the poor lad, he doesn't want to go into an old man mobile just yet

our little lad grows his first pubes. i am really proud! just dont cry SH... just dont cry ffs!

a long way off a 325ci in what way? the 6 cylinder engines are exactly the same. With the Op's budget, you are taking a compromise, be it high mileage, less spec, non m sport... in MY opinion I would take that full spec, low mileage, mint looking 5 series... And this is from a former 318ci and current 325ci. Tint the windows and install the white angel eyes and you have serious looking car, dont think its old man at all.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a long way off a 325ci in what way? the 6 cylinder engines are exactly the same. With the Op's budget, you are taking a compromise, be it high mileage, less spec, non m sport... in MY opinion I would take that full spec, low mileage, mint looking 5 series... And this is from a former 318ci and current 325ci. Tint the windows and install the white angel eyes and you have serious looking car, dont think its old man at all.
    m8, no offence, but he wants a coupe. When i was younger every single 4 door car looked to me like granny mobile. from clear head view - yes, 520/525 is a better packadge, but in his situation - he wants a damn coupe 3series :D. Its like when i was buying a mazda mx5. there were way better option, but i wanted that small, hair dresser equipment, end of story :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have to agree with the lads here Idbatterim - the man wants a coupe and when I was his age that's as far as I could see. In fact this thread has me thinking of getting one again, maybe for the woman. ;)

In fairness that's a smart looking 5er you posted and I was right with you on it until I saw it was stick. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well lads, I went to have a look at that black 325ci, and it didn't compare to the silver one at all.

There was rust bubbling through on each of the front wheel arches, it sounded like the engine manifold had a hole in it so it was making a not so BMW sound even when idling. The gearbox seemed excessively loose, and the engine wasn't idling properly. And to top it all off, there was some nasty clunks and knocks coming from the rear of the car. It wasn't when going over bumps, it seemed to be more accelerating, or decelerating that caused it. Whether or not it was the sub frame issue, I just don't know, but there was lots to be done to it.

Maybe if I was a mechanic I could have assessed how good/bad it really was, but tbh it just seemed like a bit of a wreck. The silver one drove better in pretty much every single way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I know a lad who might be selling a 325i for €1500. I think it's his friend selling it but he posted it on Facebook.

Well lads, I went to have a look at that black 325ci, and it didn't compare to the silver one at all.

There was rust bubbling through on each of the front wheel arches, it sounded like the engine manifold had a hole in it so it was making a not so BMW sound even when idling. The gearbox seemed excessively loose, and the engine wasn't idling properly. And to top it all off, there was some nasty clunks and knocks coming from the rear of the car. It wasn't when going over bumps, it seemed to be more accelerating, or decelerating that caused it. Whether or not it was the sub frame issue, I just don't know, but there was lots to be done to it.

Maybe if I was a mechanic I could have assessed how good/bad it really was, but tbh it just seemed like a bit of a wreck. The silver one drove better in pretty much every single way.

fair play to you for realising that on your own. Dont rush, you will find the right one for you bud.

Either subframe damage, broken/damaged springs or something else that goes clunk in the night :pac:

I'd be inclined to say suspension related as I had the same issue with rear springs, but that's a mighty list of issues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fair play to you for realising that on your own. Dont rush, you will find the right one for you bud.

Cheers, think I might get my mechanic to have a look at that silver one I saw earlier tbh.

This may sound like a silly question, but to anyone driving one of these with a 5 speed manual, what's the play in the gearbox like? And the reason I ask is that black on, when in gear, it felt like you could move the gear stick way too much. Never experienced that before tbh, and i've only been in 3/4 of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

19847217.jpg

Silver BMW 325ci FTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

keep the ads coming lads :) theres some nice finds,and its good to know when someone checks the car out and gives honest opinion on it,myslef looking at 225 or either 330 be it 3-5 series within 3-4k limit,as for someone saying 5 series for old men, they are outta head :rolleyes: as they look muscle and aggressive for their age+plus inside is way better.

scamalert wrote: »
    as for someone saying 5 series for old men, they are outta head :rolleyes: as they look muscle and aggressive for their age+plus inside is way better.

Please explain to me what part of the 4 door sedan, leather interior or wood trim screams youth at you? Nobody under 40 I know would give a shítappreciate those.

BMWs 5 series is still far away from muscle and aggressive. The msport pack helps a lot, but it's still not really close. Even the M5's don't look that aggressive IMO, at the end of the day, 5 series are intended as a mid-size "executive" car.

The 3 series is the sporty aggressive looking one in the family, compare an e46 M3 and the e39 M5 and you'll see what I mean quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Please explain to me what part of the 4 door sedan, leather interior or wood trim screams youth at you? Nobody under 40 I know would give a shítappreciate those.

BMWs 5 series is still far away from muscle and aggressive. The msport pack helps a lot, but it's still not really close. Even the M5's don't look that aggressive IMO, at the end of the day, 5 series are intended as a mid-size "executive" car.

The 3 series is the sporty aggressive looking one in the family, compare an e46 M3 and the e39 M5 and you'll see what I mean quick enough.

What? What are you on about?

E39 M sports are one of the nicest cars out there! if there was a 2.0 diesel i'd have absolutely nooo hesitation in buying one!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Alan has decades of having to drive a saloon in front of him. If he is lucky. Some of us older lads with kids drive estates, SUVs or even MPVs :D

Now is the time for the sporty / coupé / unpractical car :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

id love that 5er but only a 525 :o its my favourite colour too does anyone know the name of it?

Please explain to me what part of the 4 door sedan, leather interior or wood trim screams youth at you? Nobody under 40 I know would give a shítappreciate those.............

So no one under 40 you know would appreciate a nice M sport E39? Because that's what folk are on about here :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    So no one under 40 you know would appreciate a nice M sport E39? Because that's what folk are on about here :)

Given the option of an Msport e46 or an Msport e39, anyone I know under 40 would probably take the e46.

Different strokes for different folks no?

I actually quite like the look of the M Sport 5 series. But it's not my idea of a fun sports car! I know the 3er is no MX5, but still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

replace the wood trim with carbon fibre texture proper leather,tinted windows alloys,and its a pure joy,and especially if you have more then one friend 4 doors is a bless,as owner of few coupe;s its pure pain in the arse having friends or anyone else beside passenger traveling with you.But everyone got their own taste so lets not argue :) peace.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This may sound like a silly question, but to anyone driving one of these with a 5 speed manual, what's the play in the gearbox like? And the reason I ask is that black on, when in gear, it felt like you could move the gear stick way too much. Never experienced that before tbh, and i've only been in 3/4 of these.
    Mine is like that while in gear, the physical stick can move a bit, but never had any issue with the actual gears.

delly wrote: »
    Mine is like that while in gear, the physical stick can move a bit, but never had any issue with the actual gears.

Cheers for that.

MCMLXXV

if you more into the auto...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3317862

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3317807

saw this one on donedeal earlier, seems pretty nice!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3316525

this 330ci below is incredible and priced to reflect the 3 litre road tax...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330-CI-E/413256661154400/advert?channel=CARS

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

It also takes an alarming amount of force to get them across into reverse so that's normal too.

Some E39s are the most boring old fart barges on the go, but a dark one in M sport trim with slightly dished alloys looks amazing I think. its mad that a few small changes can transform a car. Same with the E90 in paddy spec, an awful looking car

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

conzymaher wrote: »
    Some E39s are the most boring old fart barges on the go, but a dark one in M sport trim with slightly dished alloys looks amazing I think

That's an insult to the great car the E39 is. A few spoilers and big wheels improve nothing to the car except for the looks

The first E39 I ever drove was the bog standard 2.0l manual on 15" wheels. Drove it hard enough and the handling was spectacular (for a large saloon).

Edit - but like I said before, why go for a big saloon decades before your time :D

It also takes an alarming amount of force to get them across into reverse so that's normal too.

:D

Very true

Lads in fairness to Alan, this isn't a thread about how boring or not we feel the E39 is. He's already said he doesn't want one so go find some E46 coupes for him! :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

:D

Very true

You're telling me! Mrs.Delly has recently started to take some lessons and I'm awaiting the first time she wants to try some reversing in our own car. Considering she questions why I bought a car without cupholders (retro-fitting aside), I can imagine what the reaction to trying reverse gear will be like :pac:

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    replace the wood trim with carbon fibre texture proper leather,tinted windows alloys,and its a pure joy,and especially if you have more then one friend 4 doors is a bless,as owner of few coupe;s its pure pain in the arse having friends or anyone else beside passenger traveling with you.But everyone got their own taste so lets not argue :) peace.

He has no friends, even 2 doors is overkill...

Advertisement