Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Advice for a young couple heading for Austraila

• 26-02-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi my daughter and her long time boyfriend want to do a year or 2 in Aus and need a little advice

here is why - they don't do backpacking they don't do any packing lol now they are 19 and 20 very able and willing to work for a living but as far as living in a room with others its not going to happen

they will have over 4k each going and would like to get jobs and rent a flat

now as far as skills go they don't have any other than the fact they can and would work hard

I need a little help for you as how to advice them and help them do the right thing

where should they go in Aus ?
    what kind of work should they look for ?
    what is the reality out there ?
    is 4k each enough ?

any help you can give me would be great

Thank You :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

where should they go in Aus ?

That's a hard one to answer as really depends on what they want. If after beach life then east coast or Perth maybe, if like more European style city, Melbourne or Adelaide, if want more rural then basically anywhere outside the main 5-6 cities.

what kind of work should they look for ?

If they have no qualifications then unskilled work similar to what they'd do in Ireland I suppose, you can still make a reasonably good living working in hospitality, factories, labouring etc, if you can get right job and work hard at it.
    what is the reality out there ?
    The reality is you'll get nothing handed to you here, contrary to reports I.e hearsay, at home jobs are not handed out on arrival here but if you come with the energy, right attitude and willing to work hard in any job you should do well here. It's up to individual to go make it happen though. Getting the first job is hard but once you have some local experience it'll get easier.

is 4k each enough ?
    4k each would be good start but would need to take it easy on spending until get jobs sorted. If they are not willing to stay in hostel dorms private rooms will be expensive. Rental property is expensive and hard to come by, especially with no rental history/references, and bond and first months rent would eat a fair whack of their savings. My advice would be to take a double room in share house at first and bring as much money as you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

between first month's rent and bond 4k could easily disappear if they went for a 1 bed apartment in a city.
    They should learn to slum it in the hostels until they can get jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Australia is sink or swim. Depends entirely on them on how well they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

here is why - they don't do backpacking they don't do any packing lol now they are 19 and 20 very able and willing to work for a living but as far as living in a room with others its not going to happen
    Theyll need more than 4k each then. Theres a whole industry set up here to cater for young travellers arriving and getting on their feet, if they are going to ignore that for whatever reason they are going to stuggle as a couple of kids with no qualifications. I struggled in Melbourne as a 30 year old with 10 years professional experience and far more cash than that. Rent alone in our last place was 500 dollars a week.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

They may need to change their ideals alot. Australia can be a tough place for "mammy's boys and girls". 4k with no skills or qualifications isn't going to last long. As mentioned first months rent and bond will eat into that very quickly. Unless they are incredibly lucky they won't get an apartment straight away which will mean they will have to suck it up and slum it in a hostel with everyone else on a whv that arrives. Rent isn't cheap here. They will be looking at around 250 to 300 for a place on their own. Months rent and bond for that = 2000 to 2400 upfront. Alot of people struggle to get work here with no qualifications. Its ok to say you're a good worker but how does a prospective employer know that for sure? The jobs they will be going for will more than likely be low paid. If they are willing to make the effort and put themselves out there then things will probably work out for them but they may need to lower their standards a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

As above and a lot will also depend on how mature or immature they are.
    The Aussie system and approach to things can seem quite different when you first arrive.
    Without qualifications, the choice is a plethora of unskilled positions, but with a lot of local Uni students and other backpackers in the same boat, it's a real competition out there.
    They need to be pro active with their approach to everything here. If it goes well it could be the making of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If they're not willing to share rooms with others that 8k is going to go very fast. For most private double rooms in hostels in Perth you're looking at about $60/70 each, whereas you can get a bed in an 8 bed dorm for as low as $25. From what I've seen Sydney is dearer again.

They also sound like the type that won't want to cook for themselves in a big crowded hostel kitchen tbh so if they're eating out every night that money goes even quicker.

Then as other have said add bond and anything from 2-4 weeks rent up front and that money is all gone nearly.

And without experience and qualifications they will struggle to get jobs. Myself and my girlfriend both have degrees and years of work experience and we struggled to get work in Perth at first, took her about 3 weeks and me about 5 and a half, and neither of us were working in the field of our degrees.

If they're planing to come out to Oz with only 4k each they should either be prepared to be on a plane home after a month or change their attitudes and accept that they are backpackers and hostels are a part of that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

19 & 20 would still be considered very young by most Australian employers, most Aussie kids are still in nappies at that age. Not even sure wether McDonalds are intrested in WHV holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In that case they're fecked to put it bluntly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

A room or a house?

as in they take one bedroom another couple another bedroom etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I actually think they're crazy to waste their WHV aged 19-20. Nobody's going to sponsor them, they won't land with their bums in the butter, they'll waste 12 months having an extended holiday, have a laugh and then they'll never be able to come back unless they go to university and get a skill on the desirable skills list and apply and get sponsorship for a skilled migrant visa...

I also think there's a good chance it may be so hard, they'll get here, last three months and go home. That's them out - the WHV is available to you up to your early 30s and it can be a gateway to opportunity (if you're very lucky and you work very hard) - aged 19-20 it's just not going to happen.

I'd suggest they come down on an e-visa for a holiday if that's what they want to do, because that'd let them stay three months .

They'd be far better off in Europe getting some work experience, perhaps even learning a language, the work may be easier to come by, and a flight home is a damn sight cheaper.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but honestly if they want to travel and sightsee I think they should, but the ages they are, the work situation here and the competition for temporary jobs, and employers' attitudes to WHV employees - I think it won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

now as far as skills go they don't have any other than the fact they can and would work hard

Without experience or a qualification I reckon the trip would be a massive waste of time and money. They would find it next to impossible to find a job I reckon.

Without experience or a qualification I reckon the trip would be a massive waste of time and money. They would find it next to impossible to find a job I reckon.

I disagree, I'm sure they will have a great holiday as that is what a WHV is all about. It's not as if they are emigrating or anything.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I disagree, I'm sure they will have a great holiday as that is what a WHV is all about. It's not as if they are emigrating or anything.

Pretty had to enjoy yourself in Australia if your not making decent enough money in my opinion. And seeing as they "aren't backpackers" and don't want do shared accommodation they'll be needing decent jobs...

..which they probably won't get as they have no experience or qualifications.

Although I could well be wrong, they might land on their feet and get work in a call centre or something.. Still its a pretty big risk

I actually think they're crazy to waste their WHV aged 19-20. Nobody's going to sponsor them, they won't land with their bums in the butter, they'll waste 12 months having an extended holiday, have a laugh and then they'll never be able to come back unless they go to university and get a skill on the desirable skills list and apply and get sponsorship for a skilled migrant visa...
    Eh, thats what a WHV is for. It wasnt invented just for unemployed Irish construction workers to get in the back door believe it or not

CiaranC wrote: »
    Eh, thats what a WHV is for.

I disagree. On person level myself and my girlfriend have managed to land supervisory roles in a 5 star hotel in Melbourne. This means when we leave Melbourne we have a better chance of landing more good roles where ever we go in Australia. As we only finished college last May this is great for our careers! :)

We are also saving on average $1,000 a week.. at this rate we will easily have enough for a deposit for a house when we get home.

...so, I really don't believe a WHV is just a means to partying and sight seeing. You can get so much more out of it if you want to,

LOL the irony... (I was the one stating precisely that a few years ago on the main thread on here that says your WHV is a holiday visa and not a back door to sponsorship).

But yes, I know, I just got a feeling they might have been hoping for a move/brighter future/etc. and wanted to make it clear that won't happen, but especially not at 19/20.

Pretty had to enjoy yourself in Australia if your not making decent enough money in my opinion.

Well that's why the DIAC advises you to bring $5000, not sure how working some crappy job equates to enjoying yourself!!

There is no rule to say that you have to stay and work for a full 12 months, many people only go for 3 or 4 months and go home when the money runs out. Its only a holiday at the end of the day and most people go on holiday to get away from work.

LOL the irony... (I was the one stating precisely that a few years ago on the main thread on here that says your WHV is a holiday visa and not a back door to sponsorship).

But yes, I know, I just got a feeling they might have been hoping for a move/brighter future/etc. and wanted to make it clear that won't happen, but especially not at 19/20.

Yeah its f**king hilarious, to every other country in the world a holiday is a holiday except in Ireland its emigration.

Well that's why the DIAC advises you to bring $5000, not sure how working some crappy job equates to enjoying yourself!!

There is no rule to say that you have to stay and work for a full 12 months, many people only go for 3 or 4 months and go home when the money runs out. Its only a holiday at the end of the day and most people go on holiday to get away from work.

Like I said above a WHV can be whatever you want it to be. Some people will see it as a holiday and a piss-up. Me personally, I'm using it to get good experience relevant to my career, to save money and to have a good time. So far so good :D:

• Advertisement

mandrake if it's only a holiday, why not get a holiday visa and come and go in three months?

The GFC is over and Australia was one of the lightest-hit countries in it. Two years ago I had posted that using a WHV as a back door to sponsorship was a pipe dream, because there were no skilled jobs for people who could only work for three months (I think it changed to six months a couple of years ago). Now, however, there seems to be more folks managing to wrangle sponsorship out of skilled jobs (but still, never unskilled work).

Australian companies, unless they're recruiting overseas, won't entertain a job application from abroad (especially not if you don't put your CV in an Australian format and answer all of the key criteria in the job). Subsequently the WHV gives you an opportunity to come for a year, work six months in one place and try to wow them with your fabulousness so they sponsor you. Not as common as it once was, maybe, but it's still an opportunity and appears to be seeing a revamp since the end of the GFC. Business in construction and resources in Australia is good because of the unfortunate run of natural disasters and because of the mining boom. Getting a job in the mines is nearly impossible, but they ARE taking up workers from other sectors who are leaving their old positions open to skilled workers.

Basically the upshot is:

If you want a holiday, get a holiday visa.

If you want to work and backpack and make some cash and drink some beer and see some sights, and potentially pave the way to a brighter future if you're lucky and you work hard, get a WHV. (If you REALLY want to maximise your chance, work for three months in an eligible role in an eligible postcode and extend your WHV to a second year.)

Like I said above a WHV can be whatever you want it to be. Some people will see it as a holiday and a piss-up. Me personally, I'm using it to get good experience relevant to my career, to save money and to have a good time. So far so good :D:

Well the name Working Holiday visa tends to make me think its a holiday, couldn't really think of what else it could be.

mandrake if it's only a holiday, why not get a holiday visa and come and go in three months?

The GFC is over and Australia was one of the lightest-hit countries in it. Two years ago I had posted that using a WHV as a back door to sponsorship was a pipe dream, because there were no skilled jobs for people who could only work for three months (I think it changed to six months a couple of years ago). Now, however, there seems to be more folks managing to wrangle sponsorship out of skilled jobs (but still, never unskilled work).

Australian companies, unless they're recruiting overseas, won't entertain a job application from abroad (especially not if you don't put your CV in an Australian format and answer all of the key criteria in the job). Subsequently the WHV gives you an opportunity to come for a year, work six months in one place and try to wow them with your fabulousness so they sponsor you. Not as common as it once was, maybe, but it's still an opportunity and appears to be seeing a revamp since the end of the GFC. Business in construction and resources in Australia is good because of the unfortunate run of natural disasters and because of the mining boom. Getting a job in the mines is nearly impossible, but they ARE taking up workers from other sectors who are leaving their old positions open to skilled workers.

Basically the upshot is:

If you want a holiday, get a holiday visa.

If you want to work and backpack and make some cash and drink some beer and see some sights, and potentially pave the way to a brighter future if you're lucky and you work hard, get a WHV. (If you REALLY want to maximise your chance, work for three months in an eligible role in an eligible postcode and extend your WHV to a second year.)

You can't work on a tourist visa, but you can supplement your extended holiday with a bit of short term work on a WHV ....says so here.

I'm not saying you can't get sponsored from WHV, I got sponsored myself but before I got sponsored I still considered it a holiday. The day I got sponsored it stopped being a holiday and I considered myself an overseas worker, the day I became a permanent resident is the day I considered myself emigrated.

WHV= Holiday
    457= Overseas worker
    PR= Emigrated

You have to treat each visa for what it is.

Well the name Working Holiday visa tends to make me think its a holiday, couldn't really think of what else it could be.

I don't really care what the title of my visa says to be honest. I work 40+ hours a week in a good job, I'm making and saving a good bit of money so I see my time in Oz as a bit more serious then just a 'holiday'.

I don't really care what the title of my visa says to be honest. I work 40+ hours a week in a good job, I'm making and saving a good bit of money so I see my time in Oz as a bit more serious then just a 'holiday'.

Well what do put down for your Resident status on your CV?

a 'Serious time in Oz' Visa?

(If you REALLY want to maximise your chance, work for three months in an eligible role in an eligible postcode and extend your WHV to a second year.)
    Or, you know, apply for a migration visa, not a holiday visa.

Yes, but in a few months time you will have to leave the job and/or the country or get sponsored. The whv is nothing more than a longer J1.

jank wrote: »
    Yes, but in a few months time you will have to leave the job and/or the country or get sponsored. The whv is nothing more than a longer J1.

I know that..

All I want to do is spend two years in Oz, make money and get some good hospitality experience. Me and the girlfriend have been here 3 months, have saved 12K and landed jobs as supervisors. I don't see my time in Oz as a holiday as a result

Have you done your regional work?

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Have you done your regional work?

Nope. One of the girls in work her family owns a farm. Her folks are hippies and are very understanding of our situation :)

Advertisement