Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Keyboard behaviour

• 25-09-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Dell D820 Latitude and this morning it has begun to type a 'b' or a 'n/' when I press the right arrow! If i press the arrow once it types the 'b', press it again it types a 'n/' and pressing a few more times will type out a few 'b's - Does anyone have any ideas?!?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You haven't got the second function key stickied have you?
    A good way to diagnose keyboard problems is to open up the on screen keyboard so you can see what is being pressed. Depending on your operating system i.e. Windows XP go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On Screen Keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

Ok, I did a test with the on screen keyboard,

the first pic is with the right pressed and the second pic is with nothing pressed/any other arrow pressed

Stumped :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

have you checked the region/language settings and keyboard settings in control panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Very strange indeed, that first screenshot doesn't look right at all, chinese characters all over the place? Is it a new laptop, is there anything that might have caused this i.e. recently installed programs. Check all your language and keyboard settings in the control panel. Also googling the problem might bring up something. Last resort you could go to the Dell support forums but they are usually so busy your thread can be off page 1 and forgotten in less than an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

Hi there,
    At a guess it looks like your alt graphics key is stuck ? The key just to the right of the spacebar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

Yeah, i thought it was tle Alt Gr as well, but its not stuck and it functions properly too.

Also, I swapped the keyboard out about a month ago, possbly and effect of this? But I don't think so as it was working grand until today...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

looks like mix between alt gr and japanese keyboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KB_Japanese.svg ??? .... Did you try system restore, no idea if it goes near keyboard settings. Good luck

Advertisement