Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

11-03-2012, 23:24   #136
lawhec
Closed Account

Because of the nature of such deals requiring commercial confidentiality between Sky and the likes of MTV, Discovery, UKTV etc. along with RTÉ, TV3 and TG4, no one in the public domain can really know what exactly is stated in the terms between the Irish (Republic) terrestrial broadcasters and their agreement to be broadcast on the Sky platform.

The only thing that is known is that Sky rent capacity from SES Astra to broadcast the four respective channels to subscribers and that there is other, non-Irish content on that transponder as well. This is unlike the UK PSBs of the BBC, ITV Network, Channel 4 and Channel 5 who directly negotiate with SES Astra and Eutelsat for capacity and then deal with Sky and Freesat for EPG placement.

Since RTÉ1, RTÉ2, TV3 and TG4 all appeared on Sky at around the same time, it may be possible that there are clauses in the respective contracts that cannot be changed unless all parties involved agree - for example, RTÉ may well wish to offer Sky RTÉ2 HD for the platform, but TV3 have a clause allowing them to object to any new RTÉ TV services appearing for the remainder of the period of the deal (before anyone starts, this is hypothetical - I am not saying that TV3 actually are blocking it!). Another one could be that Sky are interested in carrying RTÉ2 HD, but RTÉ insist that if they want to, it should be available all subscribers without the additional HD charge of €15 (as is the case in the UK with the PSB channels in HD and BBC HD) and as the current deal doesn't give specific clauses, it's deadlock.

Might also be the case that RTÉ would also want carriage of RTÉ1 +1, RTÉ Jr & News Now etc. We can only guess until press releases are made or leaks get into the wild.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 23:24   #137
mickko

€100 million! Per Annum?
Does this mean the total amount leaving the state per annum is about half a billion?!
11-03-2012, 23:39   #138
twinklerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickko View Post
€100 million! Per Annum?
Does this mean the total amount leaving the state per annum is about half a billion?!
How does 100 million equal half a billion?
11-03-2012, 23:45   #139
byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklerunner View Post
How does 100 million equal half a billion?
He's including the whole subscription fee, not just the 100m VAT at 20%.

So yeah, 500m is leaving the country, 400m to Sky, 100m to UK Exchequer.
11-03-2012, 23:49   #140
John mac

if 100 mil = 20% 100% would = ?

Edit:- Beaten to it
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 18:46   #141
200motels

I see that UPC are getting RTE2HD tomorrow, I'll bet Sky will have it soon.
14-03-2012, 19:51   #142
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Any word on when RTE will switch to HD broadcasting on most of it's programming across both channels, such as news, documentarys and live tv broadcasts?
14-03-2012, 23:50   #143
Ranicand
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200motels View Post
I see that UPC are getting RTE2HD tomorrow, I'll bet Sky will have it soon.
I bet you they don't.

I switched to Sky last year I was fed up after UPC lost the ITV channels.

UPC now have the ITV channels and now the extra RTE channels plus a better EPG running order.

However Sky has way more HD.

I always feel I am missing out no-matter what provider I pick.
15-03-2012, 00:24   #144
STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawhec View Post
Another one could be that Sky are interested in carrying RTÉ2 HD, but RTÉ insist that if they want to, it should be available all subscribers without the additional HD charge of €15 (as is the case in the UK with the PSB channels in HD and BBC HD) and as the current deal doesn't give specific clauses, it's deadlock.

Might also be the case that RTÉ would also want carriage of RTÉ1 +1, RTÉ Jr & News Now etc. We can only guess until press releases are made or leaks get into the wild.
This is the basis of the must carry rule under Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act having passed must offer. Sky in this instance must pick up all carriage costs. They cant be recovered from the subscriber!

Broadcasting Act 2009 Section 77 (13) Arrangements entered into under subsection (12) shall not result in an additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service by reason of the making available to that subscriber of any must-offer service by way of the satellite television service.

Good question about the pick and choose scenario that may arise.

(4)An appropriate network provider shall re-transmit each national sound broadcasting service provided for the time being by RTÉ and each sound broadcasting contractor and which RTÉ or the contractor concerned requests the holder to so re-transmit.

Last edited by STB; 15-03-2012 at 00:41.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 12:14   #145
franciec

Supposed to be launching today.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-m...-launch-today/

No sign on my EPG yet, maybe it'll appear later on.
14-05-2012, 14:57   #146
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawhec
Another one could be that Sky are interested in carrying RTÉ2 HD, but RTÉ insist that if they want to, it should be available all subscribers without the additional HD charge of €15 (as is the case in the UK with the PSB channels in HD and BBC HD) and as the current deal doesn't give specific clauses, it's deadlock.

From what I read RTÉ have the right to insist that each of their FTA channels are carried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
This is the basis of the must carry rule under Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act having passed must offer. Sky in this instance must pick up all carriage costs. They cant be recovered from the subscriber!

Broadcasting Act 2009 Section 77 (13) Arrangements entered into under subsection (12) shall not result in an additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service by reason of the making available to that subscriber of any must-offer service by way of the satellite television service.

Good question about the pick and choose scenario that may arise.

(4)An appropriate network provider shall re-transmit each national sound broadcasting service provided for the time being by RTÉ and each sound broadcasting contractor and which RTÉ or the contractor concerned requests the holder to so re-transmit.
I understand that to refer to audio (radio) broadcasts and not TV. It is showing as (6) on the copy I accessed

Where a retransmission under must offer/must carry occurs, it appears that the re-transmitter must also carry other channels such as the Houses of the Oireachtas Channel and the Irish Film Channel as well as possibly some community channels, if appropriate.

The act clearly indicates that EACH FTA channel must be carried

Sect. 77
Quote:
(4) An appropriate network provider shall ensure the re-transmission, by or through his or her appropriate network, of each freeto-air television service provided for the time being by RTE´ , TG4 and the free-to-air service provided under section 70 by the television service programme contractor which that body or contractor requests the appropriate network provider to so re-transmit.
The interpretation of this part is what really interests me .....

Quote:
(11) Without prejudice to the requirements imposed under subsection (4), RTE´ , TG4 and the television service programme contractor shall ensure that their must-offer services are at all times offered for re-transmission (subject to agreement as to fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms of use) by means of any appropriate network that is available for reception in an intelligible form by members of the public in the whole of or in part of the State.
I am not sure how the emboldened part should/could be interpreted.

For instance is it discriminatory that a Sky subscriber, whose sub has lapsed, cannot access the FTA Irish channels using the same equipment which was used while his sub was current?
14-05-2012, 15:11   #147
MarkK

Send a message via Yahoo to MarkK
Sky is regulated in the UK not here, so they do not need to abide by the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Whether or not RTE 2 SD and RTE 2 HD are two "services" or one is debatable.
Saorview and Saorsat only provide one version of RTE 2, to me that implies there is only one "RTE 2" service, not two.
14-05-2012, 15:17   #148
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Sky is regulated in the UK not here, so they do not need to abide by the Broadcasting Act 2009.
It is my understanding that Sky gets access to the Irish channels under the terms of the Broadcasting Act ...... and so they must be governed by the terms of that act where applicable.

Quote:
Whether or not RTE 2 SD and RTE 2 HD are two "services" or one is debatable.
Saorview and Saorsat only provide one version of RTE 2, to me that implies there is only one "RTE 2" service, not two.
14-05-2012, 19:25   #149
icdg

Thread closed. No dragging up old threads and NO MORE THREADS ON RTE TWO HD PLEASE.
Thread Closed