Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portrait of a Zombie (Trailer post #16)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

"The whole country's sh*te" - so true!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What kind of release is this getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Tonight's screening was postponed since hardly anybody on the guest list could make it in due to this poxy snow. Absolutely gutted.
    This is me:
    70675_549322664_622513_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm sorry but this looks ****e

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Had a very interesting look at this being made from the inside at the weekend as an extra, final scenes have been shot and now just have to be put together :)

Looking forward to seeing it put together and on a big screen, show your support if you can :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Joonaspp

Looks really promising, despite the fact that the guy wielding that blade looks like Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Official poster looks quite creepy:
    285297_261613213855546_100000206084362_1268604_6877880_n.jpg

The film has also been nominated for Best Independent Feature Film at the Underground Cinema awards taking place in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

has it been released yet think i've been following this for 2 years now :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Primarily, Portrait of a Zombie suffers from the same problem that a lot of low budget zombie films tend do - they aim far too high with too scant resources. It was actually excellent to begin with, a fairly sharply written and witty story following a localized infection, but as the movie trundled into it's main act, the attempt to stray outside of what was clearly their comfort zone doomed it with the resulting -and frankly unnecessary within the framework of the story - attempts at portraying a Dublin plagued by Zombie attacks being farcical. It was ridiculously far fetched - even given the fact that it's a movie about zombies - and the whole movie started to fall apart completely from the middle onwards as neither zombie hordes, attacks in the city center, or criminals openly carrying guns on the streets evidently manage to catch the attention of law enforcement.

As a positive, it had promise, and I firmly believe its downfall was not actually a budget issue, but rather a far too ambitious story arc for the budget - had they kept it smaller in scale and confined to the estate the action was mostly set in, jettisoning the wholly unnecessary and rubbish city scenes, it would have been twice the movie it ended up being. Although some of the acting was ropey, the main characters were mostly excellent, and the strength of said acting largely held the film together. Zombie effects ranged from mediocre to decent - the main zombie, about whom the film is largely about, was leagues ahead of the rest of the make up in this regard but the zombie attacks were wholly unconvincing and more or less were, without fail, the classic 'camera lens into the face to signify an incoming zombie', which got old pretty quick. The gore was also quite poor, with one or two decent scenes offset by some incredibly boring, drawn out and surprisingly bloodless death-by-zombie scenes.

The script was, however, pretty decent and putting aside the aforementioned scenes external to the estate in which it's based, was competently written with a good blend of drama and wit that the actors involved served well. One or two excellent lines had the audience laughing.

All in all, what's most disappointing about this movie isn't that it's not really a good one, but with some minor changes in story telling and set pieces it could have very easily been a good one. As it is, it's watchable, and some terrific acting in some lead roles - the parents, brother, and neighbor in particular - holds it together admirably, but it's s shame because I wanted to like it more than I did. I believe with a further edit restricting the action to the estate in which it's based and removing several scenes which ultimately had no bearing on the film other than to cheapen it, the film would benefit hugely - because the makings of an excellent film are there.

As it is I would give it a 4/10.

Advertisement