Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Humour

• 23-07-2014 10:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To lighten the mood a tad:

a_599_20140620145805.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

david-sipress-i-m-concerned-about-my-legacy-kill-the-historians-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It's not quite history but in reference to the above:

legacy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Apart from that Mrs. Lincoln how dd you enjoy the show?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For the week that is in it:
    cjamq0vucaagchx.jpg?w=474

Slightly NSFW: Caesar vs Shaka Zulu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Manach wrote: »
    For the week that is in it:
    cjamq0vucaagchx.jpg?w=474

OK. Right there. Whoever dreamed this up has committed an anachronistic howler which shows they don't belong in a History forum. And we Irish should have spotted it before now.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The Cross of St. George is incorrect, as is the inclusion of the Cross of St. Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Correct about the cross of St Patrick (the red saltire) which was not included until after the Act of Union which didn't occur until after the American Revolution.

As for the Cross of St George being wrong: if you say so but that's just showing off! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I amuse myself in conversation with my friends from the US by referring to that event as their “First Civil War”. :p:pac:

FWIW, the Cross of St George should be regular i.e. the horizontal bar (Bar of Humanity) and the vertical (Bar of God) should be the same width. So named because the horizontal represents Jesus' arms embracing all mankind and the vertical bar is the direction in which Christ rose from earth to Heaven/God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

65ee6f911580fdfffa21409b090528b7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWDTNp6uWmIoDJktAn8qi5ERayzrjg-pW4VXvasrZ4zXdm7oFPng

In view of the upcoming movie, here is the original.

meh.ro6507.jpg

13240611_1084828578248476_4658799299804924346_n.jpg?oh=2e8c1bce8471817d76dec78a39e3d222&oe=579B5DC7

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Liked a newspaper report I read recently of a travel visit to Zurich, Switzerland. The reporter mentioned a visit to the final resting-place of James Joyce.

She then continued: But for a real stench of decay and corruption, the FIFA headquarters are a few minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

5265631d2df0b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

h4dry.jpg

Slightly NSFW, but it is ahem great:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I remember a story once of how an Irish soldier in the British Army that was routed at Castlebar in 1798 was found drunk in the town some days after the battle (rebels must've been gone by then) and was court-martialed. When the Judge charged him with desertion he replied "beggin' your pardon your honour but t'was the army who were the deserters for I stayed where I was" :)

As we all need a bit cheering up, even if historical humour is rather morbid:
    funny-history-memes-16-592fdd986d2f5__700.jpg

The French/Napoleonic wars in 10 minutes:

• Advertisement

Advertisement