Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom To Block Users From Connecting To The Pirate Bay

• 20-08-2009 12:29am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The funny thing is, aren't The Pirate Bay introducing a registration fee of sometime soon in order to pay copyright owners - making downloading from the site legal?

Eircom to block internet access to Pirate Bay as other firms refuse
    EIRCOM WILL block its internet customers accessing the Pirate Bay website from September 1st, but other internet service providers (ISPs) have refused a similar request from Irish record labels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The funny thing is, aren't The Pirate Bay introducing a registration fee of sometime soon in order to pay copyright owners - making downloading from the site legal?

Eircom to block internet access to Pirate Bay as other firms refuse

Indeed. The Pirate Bay was bought out and some time this month it is supposed to switch to a pay-for-download service that pays the copyright owners.

It highlights how half-heartedly Eircom are following through with their out-of-court agreement. If they push it too hard they know they will just lose a large amount of 'causal' downloaders. I guess they should have though about that before they decided to cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I thought Eircom were meant to be implementing a "three strikes" rule? Was worried because some of the torrents I was downloading were using TPB's tracker, but I haven't gotten any notice yet. Might be because they're all legal ones I'm downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rosco_Weird

yea i read that they have you a warning to let you know it illegal,but not sure if you get 3 strikes,once they tell you there's no excuse to continue

And it doesn't start till sept 1st so you still have some time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So it's started, Eircom and other like minded companies are going to start telling us what sites we can and can't access, this will set a precident. If this starts, where will it stop? The govt stopping people from accessing Boards.ie because some people here don't like them?

This is ridiculous!

And even more ridiculous is the fact that by the time access is blocked, The Pirate Bay will be a legitimate business :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rosco_Weird

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If this starts, where will it stop? The govt stopping people from accessing Boards.ie because some people here don't like them?

This is ridiculous!

Not really,the pirate bay allows people to illegal download music and movies etc,brech copy right laws and what not...where are this site is not illegal...

its like...oh they banned weed..what are goonna do next..ban cough medicine cos some people dont like the taste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Am I the only one who thinks the timing is a little too good that Eircom have agreed to block them with only a few weeks till they go legal? Seems like they just went and threw in the towel since they knew people wouldn't care about pirate bay soon.

I really dislike internet censorship though and more power to the other isp's who refuse to bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not really,the pirate bay allows people to illegal download music and movies etc,brech copy right laws and what not...where are this site is not illegal...

its like...oh they banned weed..what are goonna do next..ban cough medicine cos some people dont like the taste?

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing.

The site is not illegal, it is the actions of the users of the site which is illegal. So if they can ban us from accessing this site, what is stopping them from banning us accessing other sites?

This government has just made blasphemy illegal, it's not beyond belief that they would block access to sites they don't like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This government has just made blasphemy illegal, it's not beyond belief that they would block access to sites they don't like

The goverment isn't the one putting the block in place eircom are,

Eircom as a network provider can decide what to allow/not allow on their own network as they manage it and pay for it, users who do copyright infringement are already breaching eircoms T&C's so this I guess is the next logical step to prevent this.

Now I'm not saying I necessarily support eircom in relation to these actions, such actions are a very slippery slope towards censorship based on what media companys want blocked...you have to remember eircom are doing this based on these media companys to.

Its a worrying development but none the less it will be interesting to see if it actually has ANY affects on eircoms user base and their ability to access the pirate bay.

In addition one has to be curious about how eircom will implement a block, the easiest solution would be block it on their DNS servivers I guess.

But then given that so many boards users have already changed from using eircoms DNS servers due to recent DNS issues on the eircom network such a block is likely to have little or no affect to any somewhat tech savvy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 declanreilly

Does anyone know will the other providers using Eircom's Network have to implement the block? I guess it will depend on how Eircom implement it eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that UPC and BT will not be following suit. I'm glad someone is actually doing some thinking in these places, and I'm glad that the Eircom thing won't necessarily be a precedent.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a sensible solution for the whole thing though. Neither the legal system nor the media have historically shown any sort of in-depth understanding of the moral or technical complexities behing the issue, mainly to do with privacy and freedom of access to the internet. Arbitrarily blocking access to a site like this is just so pointless, TPB represents a drop in the ocean of file sharing/downloading. Its just a load of sabre-rattling and bullying from IMRO et al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Does anyone know will the other providers using Eircom's Network have to implement the block? I guess it will depend on how Eircom implement it eh.

That is a really good question, certainly makes me glad I am not on the old copper network of lines for my broadband.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0819/breaking49.htm
    UPC refuses to block Pirate Bay

UPC Ireland, the parent company of the NTL and Chorus cable television operators, has rejected a request from music companies to block access to the Pirate Bay website.

A statement released today by UPC said solicitors acting on behalf of the Irish divisions of EMI, Warner, Universal and Sony had asked the company to block the website but they refuse to do so.

The statement read: “UPC has informed the rights holders that there is no basis under Irish law requiring an ISP to block access to certain websites and that it will not agree to a request that goes beyond what is currently provided for under Irish law.”

“Should the rights holders proceed with their threat of legal action if UPC fails to block access to Pirate Bay, UPC has every intention of vigorously defending its position in Court.”

Seems ericom are happy to have other isp fight this battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hilarious news this morning, how stupid can it get. This is of course entirely and completely useless and will only bring angry customers to question the legal ground of such a request, i mean Ireland isnt China yet is it?

A good laugh for sure anyways! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This was on Newstalk this morning.
    They had the head of Irma and to be totally honest he really hadnt a clue--Dick by name Dick by nature in all fairness :)

Personally Ill be leaving Eircom if they implement this not because I use Piratebay but because Im not letting an ISP tell me what I can or cant look at on the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its a worrying development but none the less it will be interesting to see if it actually has ANY affects on eircoms user base and their ability to access the pirate bay.

In addition one has to be curious about how eircom will implement a block, the easiest solution would be block it on their DNS servivers I guess.

But then given that so many boards users have already changed from using eircoms DNS servers due to recent DNS issues on the eircom network such a block is likely to have little or no affect to any somewhat tech savvy people.

As said above, most people who are "tech savy" enough to run torrents will easily switch DNS servers or just use a proxy.

I can't see what this announcement does except advertise the pirate bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Under an out-of-court agreement with EMI Records, Sony Music, Universal Music and Warners in January, Eircom agreed to cut off customers found to be repeatedly downloading music illegally. The deal also required Eircom to cut off access to Pirate Bay if requested.

This sounds like theyre going to cut off your whole connection to broadband. Are the going to do this or just block you going to the actual TPB site?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This sounds like theyre going to cut off your whole connection to broadband. Are the going to do this or just block you going to the actual TPB site?

Eircoms whole three strikes this has been discussed to death before, lets try keep on topic in this thread....use the search function if you want to find out info about the whole three strikes announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

If it's only access to the pirate bay website that they are blocking it would be easy to use a proxy server to access the site. If they are blocking the tracker however it would cause more problems as a lot of sites have torrents using it. I wonder if they will ban Hotfile and Rapidshare and all the fast download services as well? Eircom may be the company that finally cleans up the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Blindpew wrote: »
    If they are blocking the tracker however it would cause more problems as a lot of sites have torrents using it.

ah ah ah, do you really think they even know what a tracker is? Looking at how stupid they are releasing those statements i think not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    As said above, most people who are "tech savy" enough to run torrents will easily switch DNS servers or just use a proxy.

I can't see what this announcement does except advertise the pirate bay.

Yep, I think the aim is to frighten people off in the same way that companies in the US went after individuals with massive fines. TPB is far more than IRMA's very narrow focus. As has always been the case with the web, people will find ways around it and will always locate free stuff. Far better to embrace it in and look for more imaginative ways to offer copyrighted material than threatening people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm using OpenDNS but on Eircom BB.

I presume I'll still be able to access PB as I'm not using eircom dns?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

It depends if thats how they go about blocking it.Ive a feeling they might cop onto customers using opendns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If only there was another torrent site on the internet.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hellrazer wrote: »
    It depends if thats how they go about blocking it.Ive a feeling they might cop onto customers using opendns.

Ah c'mon....its Eircom :D

Ah c'mon....its Eircom :D

Suppose so!!!!We`re all safe then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they do do a blanket ban, won't the resellers be affected?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

the_syco wrote: »
    If they do do a blanket ban, won't the resellers be affected?

No, resellers use Eircoms copper and some equipment in the exchange, but not Eircom's larger network, DNS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Cabaal wrote: »
    The goverment isn't the one putting the block in place eircom are...such actions are a very slippery slope towards censorship based on what media companys want blocked...you have to remember eircom are doing this based on these media companys to.

American companies might I add. These are not based in Europe, and the fee's they collect (i.e. extort) go to fund lawyers in America, not the artists. The RIAA and MPAA are both groups of lawyers who are paid through the monies they raise extorting it from lawsuits surrounding their various industries which in turn pays their salaries and gives them the money to fund more lawsuits.

Either way it appears an Irish company has caved to pressure from an American company, which is sad as when this same sort of case went before Spanish courts two years ago the music companies lost - the EU ruled against them, which begs the question why are they not fighting this.

Also, this news was announced back in February. At that time there was no definite dates set. Note one other thing from that article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/23/irma_demands_irish_isps_block_access_to_piracy_sites/

Under the settlement deal, Eircom has agreed not to oppose any court applications to blacklist websites. Speaking to The Sunday Business Post, an Eircom spokesperson confirmed IRMAs claims of the provider's automatic compliance.

The music labels said the notorious den of P2P, The Pirate Bay, will be the first website targeted under its new censorship regime before it moves unto "similar websites."

I wonder which other sites will be blocked on Sept 1st - Eircom has already agreed to block whatever sites the RIAA/MPAA request, so that means they already have a list ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hi all,

I'd assume they will drop all packets to / from tpb ip address on their routers so using another dns or straight ip wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

CptSternn wrote: »
    Either way it appears an Irish company has caved to pressure from an American company, which is sad as when this same sort of case went before Spanish courts two years ago the music companies lost - the EU ruled against them, which begs the question why are they not fighting this.

they can't afford to - most people won't bother moving

the cost of fighting it < cost of customers lot

what will be interesting if UPC are taken to court and win will Eircom reverse their decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

I've noticed this in Vodafone's home broadband package T&C's:

"....The service may not be used for peer to peer data usage..."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement