Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an iPhone 4 off eBay ???

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm looking into buy a new iPhone 4 off ebay and was wondering is there anything that i need to know before making my purchase. There's a couple of things im not sure on.

1.do i have to look for an AT&T iPhone or does this not matter ?
    2.will an American iPhone work in Ireland straight out of the box or will I have to unlock it.
    3. does anyone know where I could get a better price than $180 for an 8gb iPhone 4

Any help would be greatly appricated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

1. Not sure why you'd need an AT&T iPhone. Are you going to the USA?
    2. The American iPhone will be locked but may be jailbroken (and thus unlocked). If not you can jailbreak yourself using the guides helpful people on here have made.
    3. That seems a good price. Possibly too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

1. Any network will do(make sure not to buy a cdma iphone4 though)
    2. You will need to jailbreak the phone to activate it, you will also only be able to software unlock(ultrasn0w 1.2.3) the iphone4 if its running baseband(modem firmware) 1.59.00
    Any other baseband you could use a Gevey Sim, the Gevey Supreme is the best one AFAIK, take caution when buying, there are loads of fakes out there and they dont work as good as the official ones.
    3.They made an 8gb iphone4? If something sounds too good to be true it usually is, don't forget when importing goods from outside the EU you will also more than likely be caught for VAT by the courier(especially with iphones).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

theres no 8gb iPhone 4 for starters so thats your first warning sign!
    180$ is to good to be through TBH, Can you post a link to the ad OP? we could take a look at it and see if its legit or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 .Kahuna.

brophs wrote: »
    1. Not sure why you'd need an AT&T iPhone. Are you going to the USA?
    2. The American iPhone will be locked but may be jailbroken (and thus unlocked). If not you can jailbreak yourself using the guides helpful people on here have made.
    3. That seems a good price. Possibly too good to be true.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply !!

No im not going to America, I thought AT&T was some hardware on the iPhone specific to certain operators i.e vodfafone etc.

Yeah I thought the price was cheap seems to be the going rate on eBay for an 8gb tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

.Kahuna. wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply !!

No im not going to America, I thought AT&T was some hardware on the iPhone specific to certain operators i.e vodfafone etc.

Yeah I thought the price was cheap seems to be the going rate on eBay for an 8gb tho :)

8GB iphone4:confused: I don't think apple make 8GB iphone4, sounds like a cheap knock off, hence the price

I did manage to find this though:confused:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Iphone-4-8GB-Black-/140576262503?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item20baff8967

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

crazyderk wrote: »
    theres no 8gb iPhone 4 for starters so thats your first warning sign!
    180$ is to good to be through TBH, Can you post a link to the ad OP? we could take a look at it and see if its legit or not

:) I just noticed that you're right. I thought there was an 8GB model in the States.

kahuna, listen to this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just looked at that sellers feedback and none of it is for phones. It is all for jewlery. Seems odd that he is now selling a range of phones with mo phone feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Kahuna, you seem a little gullible. Please font part with you money it isn't legit. Best place to get a second hand iPhone is adverts.ie and the best you'll do is around €350 for one in really good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

ya,€350-€400 is probably the best you'll get a legit iphone 4 for.
    stay away from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I sold 2 iphone 4's on adverts last week for €750 - the same buyer wanted the 2 of them so thats €375 each.
    I taught that was very good value for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement