Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Great thread DWG. I also had a diary all those years ago and found the support from this forum was great and really helped. I lost over 4stone with WW over 8years ago and up to 2years ago I kept it off bit after a messy break up I put on about 2stone. I've lost half of that now and am back on track.

I have about a stone to lose, but also want to keep the muscle I built up due to cycling and running so I'm not as worried about the numbers but more about how my clothes fit. I'm still weighing in but less fixiated on it.

I use myfitnesspal too and it's amazing, it really worked for me! My aim now is to lose 7lb and get down closer to 11stone and fit into a certain pair of jeans! I'm not putting a time frame on it, it will happen.

New year, new start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

Delighted to find this thread! I am trying to start out (again) and go it alone this time. i have been in weight watchers etc and did well in them but never kept up with the classes. I'm hoping I will be able to go it alone as I really feel i know what i should be doing just need to apply it! I have a long journey ahead to get to a healthy weight and I know it won't happen overnight so trying to start out with some baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Hoping this thread will help with motivation - was going to join Unislim or WW, but decided to try lose weight/get healthier/fitter on my own. I find I'm good enough for going to the gym, but I tend to tell myself I can eat treats then, cos I'm exercising. Cutting that out now, hopefully, and changing my diet for more fruit and veg. Fingers crossed I'll stick to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

whitewave wrote: »
    Hoping this thread will help with motivation - was going to join Unislim or WW, but decided to try lose weight/get healthier/fitter on my own. I find I'm good enough for going to the gym, but I tend to tell myself I can eat treats then, cos I'm exercising. Cutting that out now, hopefully, and changing my diet for more fruit and veg. Fingers crossed I'll stick to it!

I am trying to do the same but am hoping to use some Of the operation transformation stuff Too when it starts this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

In my opinion WW is a load of bulls*hit.
    Just from the experience's I have witnessed.
    I think it is more suited as a sort term fix to anyone who is extremely overweight/obese.
    Again that's just my opinion - each to their own.

My sister done it a couple of years ago. It was costing her a fortune - between, paying for the classes and buying the WW foods required for her diet. She hadn't much energy to exercise either. She was on a high one minute and a low the next.
    She eventually quit due to not been able to afford it, and put on back on the weight quick enough.

She later started to just eat a healthy balanced diet, exercised regularly and she has never looked and felt better.

I think it's better to do it by yourself, you feel the better for it and get more credit for it.
    In the past couple of year I have went from a size 14-16 to a size 8-10 :D. Managed to keep the weight off and look after my health.
    I done this by eating healthy, exercising regularly, and learning different things about nutrition and exercise (still learning).
    For example : I never realized how bad carbs where up until mid last year, or the "low fat" could actually be worse for you then full fat, never realized how important it was to have protein in the diet, and always assumed that only body builders lift weights :o

I am now at my ideal weight for my age hight etc, my aim now is to drop body fat percentage, tone up and live a healthy lifestyle and stick to it.

Best of luck to everyone what ever your goals are :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well I've been counting cals fairly rigidly this week, recording exercise using the heart rate monitor and I have significantly cut down on my picking at bits of cereal etc... although it's still there. I found as the week went on I was picking more and more...and a biscuit today at lunch which I never normally have but just felt really hungry and in need of sugar! (it was probably more the sugar than the hunger that made be cave if I'm honest!)

Hoping for a loss this week. I'm a very very VERY slow loser so anything would be nice. I put up about 4 pounds over Christmas and lost about 1-1.5 pounds last week which was big for me.

If I could get another 1/2 pound I'd be nearly back at my pre-Christmas weight.

I've also returned to slightly lower carb, higher protein and higher fats which I know was helping before Christmas. I'm at about 35% Carbs, 36%Protein and 29% Fat for the week.

Fingers crossed!
    How's everyone else getting on in the general weight loss world!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I gotta concur with the weight watchers comments above. If it works for you, then great. But I'm highly suspicious of the 'weight loss' industry that exists out there. For a start, losing weight isn't rocket science, and these organisations practise nothing if not obfuscation. Losing weight is a simple matter of willpower and arithmetic. Unless you've a medical condition there is no real reason why you can't lose weight.

Denerick wrote: »
    I gotta concur with the weight watchers comments above. If it works for you, then great. But I'm highly suspicious of the 'weight loss' industry that exists out there. For a start, losing weight isn't rocket science, and these organisations practise nothing if not obfuscation. Losing weight is a simple matter of willpower and arithmetic. Unless you've a medical condition there is no real reason why you can't lose weight.

I'm not going to get into a big weight watchers debate or an argument here, and I'm not a mod, but the title of the thread isn't about "Best Ways to Lose Weight". It's "General Weight Loss Support Thread" and I don't believe such comments are helpful or conducive to the thread.

It can be a life-changing and difficult experience for some people to lose weight and throwing statements around like "losing weight isn't rocket science" is patronising to those who do find it difficult for all sorts of reasons, not just medical. I lost 6 stone and I know if someone tells me that, even today, it raises my blood pressure more than the six stone did!!!

I personally would like to see more "support" in this "support thread" even if the person has decided to go down a weight loss group road. At the end of the day if they are losing weight in a way they can manage and is healthy for them, let them at it and support them.

By the way Denerick, I'm not attacking your post personally, you're entitled to your opinion, as are the others who have posted their opinion about weight watchers etc... here... I just don't think it's in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Guys this is a fantastic thread, hope you don't mind me jumping in :)

I have approx 6st to lose so I'm at the start of a very long road but for once I'm doing it myself instead of using a weight loss group.

Trying to make significant changes to my diet that will stick, so I am taking it one step at a time.

I'm using myfitnesspal to track my cals (calculated using the stickies here rather than what mfp told me since I think 1200 was too low!) and am finding it very handy.

Back to college on Monday after my Christmas break so I'm hoping being back in my routine will make it easier :)

misslt wrote: »
    Guys this is a fantastic thread, hope you don't mind me jumping in :)

I have approx 6st to lose so I'm at the start of a very long road but for once I'm doing it myself instead of using a weight loss group.

Trying to make significant changes to my diet that will stick, so I am taking it one step at a time.

I'm using myfitnesspal to track my cals (calculated using the stickies here rather than what mfp told me since I think 1200 was too low!) and am finding it very handy.

Back to college on Monday after my Christmas break so I'm hoping being back in my routine will make it easier :)

Hey Misslt!! Welcome! It's a long road but you are on it! Did the same distance of a road myself and it won't be as long as you probably think! ;)

I'm on myfitnesspal too! If you want to add me as a friend you can pm me and we'll swap details!

MFP's 1200 is a joke! Did that myself and I was seriously run down! I'm on about 1500 at the minute, which is still probably quite low but I was very low for awhile so playing around with things to see what works. Am very satisfied on the 1500 and am making it go far by making most stuff myself!

Best of luck I really hope this thread gets going now and we see lots of weight loss!

I'm hoping to post in my weigh ins as motivation! Means I'm answerable to someone!!! :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm not going to get into a big weight watchers debate or an argument here, and I'm not a mod, but the title of the thread isn't about "Best Ways to Lose Weight". It's "General Weight Loss Support Thread" and I don't believe such comments are helpful or conducive to the thread.

It can be a life-changing and difficult experience for some people to lose weight and throwing statements around like "losing weight isn't rocket science" is patronising to those who do find it difficult for all sorts of reasons, not just medical. I lost 6 stone and I know if someone tells me that, even today, it raises my blood pressure more than the six stone did!!!

I personally would like to see more "support" in this "support thread" even if the person has decided to go down a weight loss group road. At the end of the day if they are losing weight in a way they can manage and is healthy for them, let them at it and support them.

By the way Denerick, I'm not attacking your post personally, you're entitled to your opinion, as are the others who have posted their opinion about weight watchers etc... here... I just don't think it's in the right place.

Ah, look what I went and did! I didn't mean to cause a ruckus with that, its just that I think a lot of these professional weight loss organisations tend to confuse people, sometimes deliberately, when the causes of weight gain are rather basic (Lack of exercise and too many calories) and the solution (ie weight loss) is also rather basic (More exercise and less calories)

I say this as somebody who has lost four stone with two more to go, so I'm not trying to shout anyone down or be unhelpful. But one of the most important realisations I ever had was that the reason I was obese was because I allowed myself to get that way. (As in, it wasn't because I had some medical problem, or that it was too difficult to lose weight, or whatever)

Denerick wrote: »
    I say this as somebody who has lost four stone with two more to go, so I'm not trying to shout anyone down or be unhelpful. But one of the most important realisations I ever had was that the reason I was obese was because I allowed myself to get that way. (As in, it wasn't because I had some medical problem, or that it was too difficult to lose weight, or whatever)

Completely cool! I was the same myself, I ate too much, didn't move and was obese because of it. I just know there are people out there that have a lot more going on with their weight. I was an emotional and a secret eater, not to the same extent as some people are but I still know there were a few other underlying issues with my weight.

No worries at all! As I said, just don't want this thread to move beyond what it's there for as I reckon it could be of real use to people!

Fair play on the weight loss by the way, that's savage stuff. And you're bang on, accepting that you're the only one who can let yourself get that way is a big thing!

Hey Misslt!! Welcome! It's a long road but you are on it! Did the same distance of a road myself and it won't be as long as you probably think! ;)

I'm on myfitnesspal too! If you want to add me as a friend you can pm me and we'll swap details!

MFP's 1200 is a joke! Did that myself and I was seriously run down! I'm on about 1500 at the minute, which is still probably quite low but I was very low for awhile so playing around with things to see what works. Am very satisfied on the 1500 and am making it go far by making most stuff myself!

Best of luck I really hope this thread gets going now and we see lots of weight loss!

I'm hoping to post in my weigh ins as motivation! Means I'm answerable to someone!!! :o:p

I'll PM ya now :)

I really want this to work, I am fed up with feeling so miserable with myself!

Im on 1670 for the moment as I'm not getting much (barely any) exercise in at the moment, I want to work on my diet first - doing too much too quickly has been my downfall previously, I just get bored and fall back into my bad habits :)

I'll post my progress here too, as you say its good to be answerable to someone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think you should throw up some before and after pictures doctorwhogirl, they are very inspirational.

I think you should throw up some before and after pictures doctorwhogirl, they are very inspirational.

Aw thanks Stench Blossoms! :o

Wouldn't post them "live on air" but I have some before and afters in my account on here that are visible is you're my friend I think. I put them up back in the days of the food diaries.

Send me an aul friend request anyone and you're more than welcome to have a nosy :) (and then unfriend me if you want! ;) )

I'll try and remove my face on a couple to stick up here maybe.

I'd love to see more before and after pics here too as I know there are lots of success stories out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I was down 1lb yesterday normally a good boost but for some reason I was in a total funk. I didn't care. I didn't count all day but didn't go nutso and feel ready again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Don't be mortified at all doctorwhogirl. You look fantastic now and I know how much effort you put it. Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

+1. You look great, that is really inspirational. I know only too well that it takes a lot of work and determination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wow, gg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

You look fantastic. Well done on the weight loss. Do you mind me asking how much did you lose?

Pembily wrote: »
    I was down 1lb yesterday normally a good boost but for some reason I was in a total funk. I didn't care. I didn't count all day but didn't go nutso and feel ready again...

Well done on the loss! Brilliant stuff!!!

You need your days off Pem!! And as you said, you didn't go mad so there's no problem! I think the fact you cycle and are running again will allow you to do that and a spike in cals is good for your metabolism too!

Great you feel ready again, just shows you needed that day! Otherwise you could have gone off the rails more maybe if you had denied yourself the few bits!

Thanks guys for all the nice comments, I know they're ridiculous with the white face and I have a few unedited ones in my albums but just don't want my mug sprawled everywhere, I think we're all better off!!! :P

Eabhabear I lost 6 stone in total. Over the past 2.5 years since getting to goal I've gone up and down around a stone of that. Currently trying to lose the last half stone to goal again and then I'll reassess if I want to lose a few more pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Congratulations doctorwhogirl on achieving such a transformation! I really am looking forward to the days of maintenance, though it's a while away yet.
    I'm finally back to pre xmas weight again, doing reasonably well on the food and exercise front at the moment, have started swimming as well as running, which I'm enjoying a lot, so hoping to stay motivated. I'm 3Kg away from being at a healthy BMI (which will probably be for the first time in my entire life), so I have my eye on that target at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

OK...some before and afters...vomit. But maybe they're of interest!

I've just done direct links as some are quite big!

BEFORE:(

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/217315_1055044428547_1598914168_136341_7833827_n-1-1_zpsa429a0f3.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/user254136_pic6113_1272895006-1_zpsad29e6fc.jpg

Actually had lost about a stone here

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/SDC10354-1_zps1bde0f9c.jpg

AFTER :o

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/SDC10982-1_zps2cd86019.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/SDC109983-1_zps6ffa590e.jpg

Can't locate any more afters, but as I said they're on my albums in my profile...

Bit mortified now![/QUOTE

Wow you are a true inspiration

Thank you so much everyone, what a boost!!! :)

Thankfully I was down 2.8 this weekend! Which is a big loss for me. Now I'm only 0.5 away from my pre Xmas lowest, thankfully!

Hope I can stay on track this week and get that down next week!

I've been posting pics of my Hairy Bikers' diet recipes on the weightwatchers thread but here's my latest attempt from today! Their "skinny lasagne"

Time consuming but oh so delicious. Rest is in the freezer now for later on in the week! :)

Served with salad of baby gem, cucumber, tomatoes and cottage cheese

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/20130119_174851_zps66d67621.jpg

Doctorwhogirl you look amazing! Thank you so much for posting them, I can see that it really can be done :)

Trying to get organised to go shopping tomorrow to get lunch stuff (I've started another thread on this, I've no access to a microwave at college so it makes it difficult) so I think Monday I'm going to do a chicken and pasta salad, Tuesday I think potato salad with chicken or tuna, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I'll be home at lunchtime so that will be fine :)

Ill also be investing in a decent thermos flask so I can take soup which will be great as well! I also saw mention of a ploughmans salad somewhere in another thread which looked great so ill be investigating that as well :)

Having eggs for breakfast every day this week, next week ill probably mix that up between eggs and porridge.

Dinners will be fine, I'm good at keeping those healthy.

I'm hoping it'll be easier when I'm back at college, the routine will help :)

How did everyone get on over the weekend!?

I had a quiet one but that meant I was in the house more and the temptation is all around! Really tried to keep myself busy! Would you believe there is still Xmas cake, pudding and a tin of Roses emerged today! Disaster! Nibbled on a wee bit of cake but sin é!

Can I also recommend, for anyone who's into their exercise, a heart rate monitor.
    I count cals and my HRM gives me a reading for the cals burned during exercise. I find it really motivating to see how I've done in an exercise session and it means I have a clear idea of the calories I'm consuming and using! Have to say it's really pushing me when I'm in the gym! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

drank so much saturday I felt like crap all day today so I availed of a 50% off coupon for dominos and got 50 euro worth of pizza, wedges and cookies for 25 euro

all in all, not a great weekend calorie wise :)

drank so much saturday I felt like crap all day today so I availed of a 50% off coupon for dominos and got 50 euro worth of pizza, wedges and cookies for 25 euro

all in all, not a great weekend calorie wise :)

Great weekend bargain wise though!!! And fun wise I'd assume!

I'd love to see 50euro worth of pizza! Actually haven't had pizza in ages! Or alcohol for that matter! Think I'll hold off until January is over, try and claw back a few bob too...which is proving tough!

On a side note the cals in the tesco prepared pizza dough mix are actually relatively low if anyone was going to chance their own one. Haven't made on yet but used the dough in the Hairy Dieters' mince pie recipe and it was yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Hi all, decided to jump into the conversation. I've lost 3 stone slowly over the last few years but I have been stuck at 11 stone (on the dot) for around 2 years. I'm 5'5'' so I'd like to at least get to 10 stone. This last stone is really frustrating me to be honest!

I've lost the 4 pounds i put on over xmas. I've been very strict with myself the last few weeks, eating under 1200 calories a day. I'm tracking on MFP. For the record, I'm eating unprocessed whole foods in the main, with lots of veg.

I know some people will say that's too little and I should be eating more calories. Others will tell you it's ok to reduce calories that low for a few months. What do you guys think?

Advertisement