Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIB card reader - what card if no debit card?

• 20-09-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    gonna give AIB the shove after they've introduced their fees. I don't need their account as I have an UB one that I can't close (condition of mortgage) so as I'm not in Ireland I wouldn't have enough going through the AIB a/c to qualify for free banking, shame as I always liked the AIB online interface much more that UB.

I want now to close my AIB a/c but before I do I want to know, can I still access my AIB credit card account through online banking? I need to be able to keep a check on it and view statements from time to time and this requires a card reader + debit card according to AIB's website.

I won't have a valid AIB debit card once I close my account. It doesn't state that an AIB Visa card will work with the card reader (and I had to select a debit card to activate with the card reader, even though my Credit card does generate a code when I hit "identify") so i don't really know what to do. Ulster Bank clearly state that they will provide a special card for the reader if you have no debit card with them (I actually have one, for some reason). Does anyone know if AIB also have this, but perhaps aren't advertising it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i know when ulster bank introduced the card reader they were providing dummy cards which were just for use with the card reader for online banking. im not sure if aib do this but might be worth calling to see?

also might be worth asking if an expired card will work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've read the AIB blurb in relation to this. They clearly answer your question on their website and also in your messages section in online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've read the AIB blurb in relation to this. They clearly answer your question on their website and also in your messages section in online banking.
    I couldn't find anything in the card reader FAQ so logged into online banking and went looking at the messages and found:
    Important information regarding Changes to AIB Phone & Internet Banking Security

During 2011 AIB upgraded the security on AIB Phone & Internet Banking by introducing a new transaction authentication device called the AIB Card Reader. The AIB Card Reader is a small hand held device which works in conjunction with the AIB Debit Card to generate unique security codes for authenticating transactions on AIB Phone & Internet Banking. It is not required for logging on to AIB Phone & Internet Banking.

AIB plans to migrate the authentication of the following transactions from the AIB Code Card to the AIB Card Reader during 2012:

- Once off Funds Transfers

- International Payments

- Setting up new Mandated Accounts for payments

- Setting up & Amending Standing Orders

- Setting up new Credit Card for Bill Payments

- Credit Card Services

- To register and view e-Statements

You must have an AIB Debit Card to use the AIB Card Reader. Customers who do not have an AIB Current Account can continue to use AIB Code Card for authentication of transactions on AIB Phone & Internet Banking.

What does this mean for customers?

From the 30th September 2012, the AIB Card Reader will be mandatory for the above transactions for Current Account customers.

Customers who have a Current Account and an AIB Debit Card please be advised that the AIB Code Card will be invalid after 30th September 2012. If you do not already have a Card Reader you will need to order one to undertake these transactions. Customers who have a Current Account but no AIB Debit Card will need to order both an AIB Debit Card and AIB Card Reader in order to undertake these transactions.

AIB Code Cards are currently being deactivated for customers who are not using them, where the account is eligible for an AIB Debit Card. When you attempt to make a transaction that requires authentication Internet Banking will prompt you to order an AIB Card Reader.

This change for AIB Code Card customers is being introduced to help you bank online more securely. This change will not in any way affect your entitlement to terminate your AIB Phone & Internet Banking contract at any time, without charge should you wish to do so.

Your continued use of Internet Banking after the 30th September 2012 will be deemed to confirm acceptance of this change.

Order the AIB Card Reader now by following the instructions below.

You can order your AIB Card Reader through the 'Manage My Accounts' section on AIB Internet Banking or by contacting one of our Customer Service Adviser Team at 0818 724 724 or +353 1 771 2424 from outside the Republic of Ireland.

The AIB Card Reader can be ordered at anytime through AIB Internet Banking when you select one of the services which require an AIB Card Reader. We will remind you that you need an AIB Card Reader to use the service and we will give you the option to order it there and then.

- You will receive your AIB Card Reader in the post within 3-4 business days.

- You can activate your AIB Card Reader within the 'Manage My Accounts' section on AIB Internet Banking.

NB: You must have an AIB Debit Card to order and activate your AIB Card Reader. Please call into your local AIB Branch who will arrange to order an AIB Debit Card for you. There is no Government Stamp Duty attached to the card if you are using it for the AIB Card Reader service only.

Thank you for banking with us.

I will have to call them. It's not clear what happens if you actually close an existing current account, having activated your card reader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Customers who do not have an AIB Current Account can continue to use AIB Code Card for authentication of transactions on AIB Phone & Internet Banking.
    I would've thought that excerpt was crystal clear.
    I had a current a/c, closed it, and had to hand back my debit card. I now use a code card for all the functions the reader is supposed to be for.

Advertisement