Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conflicting advise from ADI's

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Another day, another selection of stupid questions for boards...

So... having completed my 12 EDT lessons with one instructor, I took a pre test with an new instructor. Turns out they disagree on few things and I am becoming incredibly confused and frustrated with the whole thing.

1. First ADI says always, ALWAYS check the right blind spot when changing lane, especially on a dual carriage way and motorway. Second ADI said the only time you need to do this is when taking off, and during the turnabout and reverse around the corner and never do it especially on a motorway.

2. First ADI said so not stop when reversing around a corner (unless a car comes), it should be one fluid movement. Also said if I failed to stop when a car was coming against me in the right lane (even though it had loads of room) then I would instantly get a grade three. Second ADI said stop as many times as I need to, even go forward and straighten up if I go wrong and then reverse.

3. If you come to a junction and its a left turn only, do you indicate left or is this a misleading signal? First ADI says is a misleading signal and you can be marked for it on the test, do not do it. Second ADI says you don't need to, but can just do it anyways, its makes no difference at all.

4. Do you get a green mark for stalling? First says yes you can, second laughs and say not, the tester expects nerves..

I am a bit wary of what my first instructor said at this stage after giving me wrong advise about the correct lane to use at a roundabout and taking me on a route he claimed was on the test route.. but turns out its not :mad:

I would be very interested to hear any opinions on these questions, as at this stage I feel I am learning more from this forum than anywhere else.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

1. Always check your blindspot when changing lanes. What If a motorbike is in your blindspot? Or even a car could be there. No doing so is nuts.

2. Do the reverse around the corning in a fluid motion, there should be no need to stop and reposition.

3. I would indicate in this situation. But I doubt there is a black and white rule for it, hence the difference in opinion on it.

4. You will get marks for stalling the car. But it does depend on the situation, and how you recover from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

1. I always check blind spots, the most frustrating thing is:
    You driving along, you see there is a motorcyclist on your left, then you decide to change to left lane to turn and you don't see motorcyclist in mirror. Oh god damn I become paranoid, checking all mirrors, checking blindspot 100 times only then changing lane, when turns out he had turned in a turn before, so that taught me to always check blind spots.

2. I was taught to just pull in at corner, check and make sure there are no objects or people behind car, check left and right, if no car is coming then reverse around corner while checking mirrors.

3. I always indicate no matter if it's only that direction or no, it doesn't hurt anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I was told checking your right blind spot may get you a grade 2 as it's dangerous. Your mirrors should suffice as you should be aware should a bike be approaching in the lane you're looking to change into.

When reversing around a corner I think it's normal but not necessary to stop while manoeuvring around the actual corner. The reason for this is that you are observing any potential traffic approaching from the right. Stopping and repositioning will probably get you a grade 2 for doing the manoeuvre competently.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Sounds like your new ADI knows a little more than your first. I'll answer this fully later but on the blind spot thing, yes if you are changing lane, not required say if you're passing a parked vehicle. Anticipate the need to move and use the right mirror early. Looking over the right shoulder if passing a parked car can, depending on the tester, result in a grade 2 for reaction to hazards, NOT looking in the blind spot, left or right, depending which way you are changing lanes WILL result in a Grade 2 for obs changing lanes.

It's too early :D I'll cover the rest in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LDC ADI 34490

1. Always check your blindspot when changing lanes. What If a motorbike is in your blindspot? Or even a car could be there. No doing so is nuts.

2. Do the reverse around the corning in a fluid motion, there should be no need to stop and reposition.

3. I would indicate in this situation. But I doubt there is a black and white rule for it, hence the difference in opinion on it.

4. You will get marks for stalling the car. But it does depend on the situation, and how you recover from it.

Excellent advice.

With regards to question 3 you will not pick up a fault whether you do or do not signal. The fact that you have a left arrow in your lane let's other road users know your intention therefore its not necessary to signal. However you definitely will not pick up a fault if you did signal, so I would suggest to signal anyway. Someone who is not familiar with the roadmarkings in the area may benefit.

Padraic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was told checking your right blind spot may get you a grade 2 as it's dangerous. Your mirrors should suffice as you should be aware should a bike be approaching in the lane you're looking to change into.

Really have to disagree with you there. Being 100% certain of what's around you is next to impossible. I have found cars/bikes in my blind spot that I wasn't expecting on motorways and dual carriageways. Vehicles quickly entering a multilane road and accelerating out into the overtaking lane without you noticing is something that is very possible.

Let's not forget what a blind spot is. It's the area that is not visible with mirrors, to the back side of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

1. It is a different level of observation. When moving off you are checking about 135' over your should. When changing lane you are checking about 90'. Over-doing the observation driving along is a bad thing. But a 90' check is now required.

2. Definately stop if someone is comming near. You can keep going if someone is passing further away, but you need to carefully keep track of their direction. It can be safer to stop.
    It is acceptable to stop and check to the right. You can also go forward, if needed, to fix your position. It is preferred if the reverse is one fluid move. But if it is not, that is fine. So long as you are making reasonable progess in between being stopped.

3. It is not necessary to signal. But it is no harm and can be considered, best practice. Unless it becomes misleading, by the presence of another left turn close by.

4. You will usually be given a mark for stalling. But I have seen the test sheet of people who did not get marked for it. If you do stall, make a quick recovery and they will see it as less of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

By a blindspot check when changing lanes do you mean looking back over your right shoulder?
    If yes then this is wrong as you may miss something ahead on the road, What is recomended is that you look to your right and not behind you so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I was thaught the lean forward and look in the mirror method to check the blind spots.

You don't have to look away from the road in front of you but you do get the benefit of having checked the blind spots.

Of course in the test this needs to be an exagerated motion to make sure he knows that you are doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Really have to disagree with you there. Being 100% certain of what's around you is next to impossible. I have found cars/bikes in my blind spot that I wasn't expecting on motorways and dual carriageways. Vehicles quickly entering a multilane road and accelerating out into the overtaking lane without you noticing is something that is very possible.

Let's not forget what a blind spot is. It's the area that is not visible with mirrors, to the back side of the car.

That's what my ADI told me. I imagine you are 100% correct though. I look in my blind spot when changing lanes but I was told not to as it impairs your vision ahead or something along those lines.

But as I said I'd say you are spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ADI 2 doesn't sound like he's an ADI at all with that sort of nonsense. I'd be sending a letter/email to the RSA about it.

Advertisement