Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

eviltwin wrote: »
    She has had the baby, she is no longer pregnant, she looks no different to any other student.

Do you think she should be left on the scrap heap now because she made a mistake?

Indeed, never mind that she and the child will be a burden on the state for the next 18 years.

The only 'education' she cares about is what she is now entitled to from the state.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    What's your point, he didn't actually correct your spelling, he was subtly asking you to stop talking s***e ;)

So subtle that we all missed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A teenage girl gets pregnant, presumably by accident, and suddenly "she only cares about what she can get from the state". And she should live at home in shame forever and never get an education
    You should be ashamed of yourselves
    Adverse Affect
    4.24 The young person at the centre of this complaint spoke about feeling very upset by the decision of School A not to accept her and the rationale for this.
    She said she;
    ‘felt put into a low category, .that I was not good enough to be in his school, I felt ashamed and embarrassed that someone could make me feel this was for being a single young mother. I wouldn’t wish this feeling on anyone else, I was very emotional and stressed by it. I felt hurt and discriminated against as my child wouldn’t stop me having an education’.
    She said it also made her upset for her baby. She explained that this initially made her not want to go back to school at all. She felt that the school did not see that she wanted to
    complete her education for her and her baby and worries that no one thinks she wants to make a difference for her child. She spoke about worrying about what people will think of her, that they may be judging her and thinking that she will get nowhere.
    4.25 Her mother stated her view that the actions of the school impacted on her daughter’s self-belief, that she has no self-belief and does not believe in her abilities. She reports that as a result of the school’s actions, ‘the damage to her self esteem is immeasurable’.
    4.26 She reported that her daughter had wanted to go back to school, was very motivated to complete her education after having the baby and that this was a positive thing as she had previously been less motivated about school. Her daughter was delighted that she was given a chance to go to the school but this offer was then retracted. She feels that the actions of the school have negatively impacted on her daughter’s motivation and that she and her daughter felt stigmatised and slighted as a family.
    4.27 It is clear that the actions of the school in relation to refusal of enrolment were experienced by the young person as a negative judgement of her. Those actions resulted in her being denied access to the school where she wished to enrol and where a school placement appears to have been available to her, on two separate occasions and was subsequently retracted on each. The manner of communication of the decision not to enrol her was experienced by her and her mother as judgemental and stigmatising. This young person has clearly indicated the importance of education to her by continuing to seek a further school placement whilst managing the significant life changes that have taken place. She has indicated her wish to complete her education for her own betterment and that of her baby.

This young girl can't get into school and yet the bankers who ruined the enonomy can send their kids to any school they want, some justice !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Indeed, never mind that she and the child will be a burden on the state for the next 18 years.

The only 'education' she cares about is what she is now entitled to from the state.

And you know that for a fact do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Did you read the report?

Your ignorance regarding this situation is staggering and it renders your opinions on this matter invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This young girl can't get into school and yet the bankers who ruined the enonomy can send their kids to any school they want, some justice !

this is quickly starting to replace Godwin on boards and it's getting tired, fast. wtf have bankers got to a schools decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The concord syndrome.Way above your head's.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    i'd have to agree with the school here. there are plenty of schools that will take anybody. If i was a parent of a young teenage girl i wouldn't want a single teen mother telling everyone how much she get off gov, free house etc... she could potentially glamourise her situation to other pupil. fair play to the schoolor putting the mass before the individual!

And what about if the girl was to prove to her peers that not all single mothers were all about welfare, free houses etc, and some just want to get a good education in order to support her child herself. Id much rather see the 'mass' being proved wrong about their stereotypes of young single mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I went to a school (all girls) that's policy was if you got pregnant you're out. They backed that up with sex ed classes every week.
    I think the comments used by the school (as seen in the journal) are way too harsh and unprofessional but still I can kind of see where they're coming from, just think they could have said it with a little more tact to spare the poor girls feelings.
    Honestly think the last thing that girl needs is a battle over getting back into school, they need to find her to find her an alternative that is suitable, not make the grass seems greener on the other side she can't cross to. I'd worry that if she got into this school it wouldn't help the girl and she'd be subject to bullying as a result of all this.
    The bottom line of it all, she's a new mother in a vulnerable position, she doen't need a harder life right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Do you know the girl?

Because she could be like many young parents I know (myself included - I got pregnant at 19) who provides for the child themselves by working their asses off. She is far more likely to end up on welfare if she is refused an education. At least she wanted to get back to school.
    Also, nobody here mentioning the father. He might be mega wealthy and providing for her and the child while she is in school. Or he might be a useless waste of space or something in the middle. Whichever, you can be sure he isn't being denied an education.

Of course people hear "young mother" and automatically think "welfare, free house etc" without bothering their backsides to educate themselves about the actual statistics.

I find it ironic that this girl could have gone and had an abortion and been welcomed by the school with open arms but because she did have the child and accept that responsibility, she was punished. Way to go Catholicism!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Back-seat moderating is against the rules too, you know?
    Speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

At least this girl wants to attend school and is not another one of the bad lazy mothers retired for life on the dole and child benefit in this country. We don't even know how this girl got pregnant either she could have been raped or something if so shame on that school.

Add to this the teaching of sex education in our schools especially in the Catholic schools is not good enough. You can't stop teenagers from having sex but educate them on the risk of STD's pregnancy etc. The catholic schools still go on like its 1946.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I know people who have completed school and a degree after having children. It was difficult but they managed it. Individuals like yourself and a few other posters would be the same people who'd be complaining about people claiming social welfare but when a girl with a kid wants to continue her education there's an issue?

I agree with you, she should be allowed to complete her education at his school.
    My post was aimed at the education she didn't recieve to discourage her from getting pregnant.

But of course I don't know her story so I can't comment on that aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

mmcn90 wrote: »
    he was subtly asking you to stop talking s***e ;)
    In other words, he was discriminating my point of view showing the real AH's leftist tolerance and twisted perception of "freedom of speech" :rolleyes:

Defending one side on the argument by discriminating another - so fecking logic and wise :rolleyes: - this is as far as most folks in After Hours can get, hence there is no point to treat this forum seriously.

I'm not gay, pregnant single mother, fighter against Catholic Church or any other Che Guevara - come on, I'm ready for crucifixion in the name of tolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

This thread is a trolls dream.

Yeah, she doesnt deserve an education because she's taking all our jobs, spending all our tax dollars, she's at fault for the banking crash and she's eating all our swans. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Please tell us that this post is an attempt at satire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I think I'll be immigrating before I have children.. The attitude of that school stinks... The same Catholic "ethos" is antI-abortion and anti-contraception....

You can't win in this country if youre a teenage girl who gives in to your hormones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

bankers didn't ruin this country, it was many factors such as governmet, banks, global recession, and people like you and me. pigeon holing the blame on bankers cos its populas just make you look ignorant thh.

The concord syndrome.Way above your head's.

I was being sarcatic - there was no subtlety involved in the original comment.

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    Also, nobody here mentioning the father. :(

Doee she even know who the father is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

:rolleyes:

ash23 wrote: »
    Also, nobody here mentioning the father. :(

Could be your son, or nephew..

Although for her sake I hope not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Boiled down to the actual facts - which some fools seems to have missed - or want to miss!

* The girl wanted to be further educated.
    * She and her mother I am assuming didn't want the young woman to be a further burden on the state so the mother (alone, if not with the daughter) also wished to see the girl back to education in hope of her getting a reasonable job after exams?
    * A catholic school that in theory preaches "treat others as they might treat you" if their religion is supposed to be adhered to, rejected her in very unchristian charity like?

Frankly I think the person that rejected the young girl is an bigoted idiot who is as far away from being a charitable, helpful nice person as they could possibly be.
    What an asshole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

We are talking about a child which we don't know the whole story behind how she got pregnant. I think it is disgusting the people in this thread are making her out to be some sponging slut.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Someone's on a power buzz. No board of management. only his son.

a person introducing himself as the School Manager and was told
    ’I will not and do not accept single mothers in this school.’
    The school has an uncompromising ethos and will not become
    a dumping ground for those rejected elsewhere....
    ’Do not try to blame this school for having a moral code.
    You have no business coming down here to si ngle us out
    - we are a Catholic school and shall remain so’.

Go Equal Status Acts.. Kick his ass.
    They should hang their head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Was that really necessary? We're talking about a child here. Grow the fcuk up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Biggins wrote: »
    Boiled down to the actual facts - which some fools seems to have missed - or want to miss!

* The girl wanted to be further educated.
    * She and her mother I am assuming didn't want the young woman to be a further burden on the state so the mother (alone, if not with the daughter) also wished to see the girl back to education in hope of her getting a reasonable job after exams?
    * A catholic school that in theory preaches "treat others as they might treat you" if their religion is supposed to be adhered to, rejected her in very unchristian charity like?

Frankly I think the person that rejected the young girl is an bigoted idiot who is as far away from being a charitable, helpful nice person as they could possibly be.
    What an asshole!

People seems to be missing the part in the article where she has already dropped out of two schools out of her own choice because she didnt like them. So there’s nothing stopping her getting an education except herself.

I agree with the school on this case also, they should be able to decide themselves on who they want to take,
    for example if you’re a troublemaking delinquent with a history of getting kicked out of schools then the school shouldn’t be forced to take them.

I don’t have children but im sure if I did I wouldn’t want them being influenced by anto with the criminal record or shown how glamorous being
    a teenage mother is.

Someone's on a power buzz. No board of management. only his soyn.

a person introducing himself as the School Manager and was told
    ’I will not and do not accept single mothers in this school.’
    The school has an uncompromising ethos and will not become
    a dumping ground for those rejected elsewhere....
    ’Do not try to blame this school for having a moral code.
    You have no business coming down here to si ngle us out
    - we are a Catholic school and shall remain so’.

Go Equal Status Acts.. Kick his ass.
    They should hang their head in shame.

equal status act doesn't apply to Catholic schools, I don't think... Though correct me if I'm wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

This has to be a joke; It boggles my mind to see attitudes like this still on display in this country. She got pregnant big deal, it was a mistake but she is still the same person she always was and has a right to an education.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement