Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Aliya Wailing Bench

Good stuff Jacky. I love drill sessions myself. I presume you did the 5k slightly faster than 54min 05sec :p

LOL copy and pasted from earlier run and never changed the time....i am not that slow:).
    Yeah drills really help me focus on the different sections of the stroke. I am pretty wrecked now though the kick drills had my legs burning after the two runs today.

Wednesday AM
    AM Swim - planned 2.5km straight and 300 WU and 200 CD
    I was actually up for 5.30am this morning as i wanted to get some food in me before i went for the swim as i struggled on this session last week with no fuel on board. Took on the advice from last nights coaching and concentrated on breathing, keeping my stroke long and keeping everything nice and slow.
    This was a great session and the first time i can say with absolute confidence that the IM swim will cause me no problems on race day.
    Time last week was 63:32 and i managed to knock nearly 5 minutes off that. There was no breaststroke recovery in between and i was even going to push on to bring it up to 3k but was pushed for time. Happy with this one!!
    Distance: 3km
    2.5k Time: 58:49
    Total Time: 68 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good swimming JB. Nice confidence boost, it will be great to go into the IM not worrying too much about the swim :)

Good swimming JB. Nice confidence boost, it will be great to go into the IM not worrying too much about the swim :)

Cheers. I was feeling very dodgy about the whole swimming lark but at ease with it now. I have a swim target in mind for IM but not willing to share it just yet until i get a couple of straight 3k/3.5k in over the coming months.

Wednesday PM
    Gym - 60 mins
    Straight into the gym from work. I did not want to take too much out of the legs with the Waterford Half on at the weekend so focussed on Arms, Chest, Back and Shoulders with 20 min core work built in.
    Time: 60 mins

Brick Session
    Loaded up one of the Tacx pre set pyramid interval sessions and it turned out to be another good bike session.
    Time: 45 min
    Distance: 25.35km
    Cadence: 99
    Power: 232
    Speed: 33.8
    Avg HR: 146
    wk9wedbrick.jpg

Quick change into dry clothes and out the door instead of the usual pace and distance i decided to go at an easier pace and ran for slightly longer.
    Time: 34:36
    Distance: 6.7km
    Pace: 5.09km/8.17mile
    Avg HR: 153

Looking forward to a lie on in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi JB, had a very enjoyable read through the log yesterday, you're putting in some great work. The VR trainer seems the business.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi JB, had a very enjoyable read through the log yesterday, you're putting in some great work. The VR trainer seems the business.

Thanks Kenny, i have been following your log also...enjoyable reading.
    The VR trainer was expensive at the time but i am getting my moneys worth out of it.

Just changed and arranged my HIM race. I shall be doing it along the sunny Med coast in Spain. Now doing the Half-Challenge Barcelona-Maresme on the 29th May.

Nicely incoporated into the family holiday aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done on the swimming, it's a great confidence boost. Bear in mind that you have loads of swimming between now and IMUK so you will only get better. I remember last year getting really hung up on my swim times and worrying about my technique but it all came together over the summer. Have a look at the advice that Interested was giving in his log and the other IM logs from last year and you will get some great advice. I started off last year hoping for a 1.30 and ended I doing a 1.15 (albeit on the supposedly short IMUK swim course) so don't set a target too early, you'r only gonna get faster over time.

Thursday

Lunchtime Run - Tempo Session
    Debated on doing this type of session so close to the Waterford but i wanted to test out the legs at HM pace.
    Took the first 2 miles easy enough holding close to 9 min mile pace and then ran the next 4 at planned HM pace, 7.21/7.28/7.24/7.31 miles. These were very tough going and i will find it hard to sustain this for the full half especially if conditions are bad, ran the last 2.1 miles just over 9 min pace. HR was firmly in Zone 3 for those 4 miles hitting around a 172 and i averaged at the top end of Zone 2 for the 8 miles.
    Distance: 13.03km
    Time: 67:45
    Pace: 5.11km/8.21mile
    Avg HR: 162

Bike - 60 minute zone 1 maintain 100+ cadence
    Took me a few minutes to get into this as the legs were dead after todays tempo session. Watched last nights episode of Shameless to pass the time:)
    Distance: 35.5km
    Avg speed: 35.5kmph
    Cadence: 107
    Power: 196 watt
    Avg HR: 129

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Well done on the swimming, it's a great confidence boost. Bear in mind that you have loads of swimming between now and IMUK so you will only get better. I remember last year getting really hung up on my swim times and worrying about my technique but it all came together over the summer. Have a look at the advice that Interested was giving in his log and the other IM logs from last year and you will get some great advice. I started off last year hoping for a 1.30 and ended I doing a 1.15 (albeit on the supposedly short IMUK swim course) so don't set a target too early, you'r only gonna get faster over time.

Yeah 9 weeks ago i was terrified but happy with the progress i have been making. I was in a similiar boat to yourself, first target was to just make it around before the cut off, then sub 1.30 but going to be aiming for loftier goals and will re-evaluate closer to race day.

Bike - 60 minute zone 1 maintain 100+ cadence
    Distance: 35.5km
    Power: 196 watt

mad how turbos differ. I need about 245w to avg 35.5kmh

Good few boards heads heading to Waterford. It will be tough alright running into a stiff wind for the first half. Best of luck for it :)

mad how turbos differ. I need about 245w to avg 35.5kmh

Good few boards heads heading to Waterford. It will be tough alright running into a stiff wind for the first half. Best of luck for it :)

What is your resistance setting at? This particular session is done on a pancake flat course with no climbing hence the higher average speed. You also need to factor in the cadence which is probably higher by 10 rpm.

Yeah dependant on the weather i may just run it as an LSR, best of luck also.

Cheers. My resistance is at 0 or +1 usually. 196w would be about 29kmh or so. Yeah you may approach it with an LSR in mind, but in reality th buzz will kick in and you will test yourself ;)

Cheers. My resistance is at 0 or +1 usually. 196w would be about 29kmh or so. Yeah you may approach it with an LSR in mind, but in reality th buzz will kick in and you will test yourself ;)

So generally your resistance should represent a flat course. When you look at the numbers it is quite a large gap circa 6kmph. I calibrated my machine last night (doubting myself) to make sure everything was ok and it was spot on. It has to be the higher cadence making some difference on the numbers as your numbers seem to be consistent with other outputs i have seen.
    If i am operating at +10 cadence in this instance 107 i suppose it does represent around an additional 600 revolutions in an hours session although i would not know what this represents in kmph:confused:

Your probably right about the Waterford Half:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck tomorrow Jacky, hope the conditions are good and you can push yourself, looking forward to your report.

Friday
    Lunchtime Swim.
    A quicker session than usual,
    200 wu and 5x150, 2x300 with a 200 cd. Good few in at lunchtime but held my own in the lane even overtaking a few. Counting my strokes i was hitting around 26 or so per length of the pool, not sure if this is good/bad?
    Distance: 1.75km
    Time: 39 mins

PM Run - Z1 Easy Easy Easy
    Just headed out for a short/slow run just to turn the legs over and visualise the race tomorrow.
    Distance: 5.4km
    Time: 31:19
    Pace: 5.47km/9.20mile
    Avg HR: 142

Test of character tonight with the diet. The missus got an Indian in to move things along on the baby front while i made do with salmon fillets/wholegrain rice/brocolli/green bean/cauliflower. So tempted to tuck into some Jalfrezi:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for your LSR tomorrow - enjoy

Macanri wrote: »
    All the best for your LSR tomorrow - enjoy

Cheers Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

best of luck tomorrow. Really dreading that wind :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yep best of luck tomorrow! Hope its not too stormy for ya's!

menoscemo wrote: »
    best of luck tomorrow. Really dreading that wind :o

I may duck in behind you for the first 7 mile:)

Heading down in the car through the blustery winds and rain I asked myself a question that many do from time to time why am I planning to run in this!!
    Went for a slow 2km warm up around the RSC and done plenty of stretching before making my way down to the race start. I briefly met Menoscemo and Aimman before the start and we quickly discussed race tactics, all of us with differing targets.

I decided on tucking in behind the 1:40 paces for the first 6/7 miles until we turned around out of the headwind. The first few miles whizzed by in 7:25, 7:32, 7:33, 7:39, 7:24 and 7.31. I was feeling good heading into mile 7 at the turnaround point even though I landed my right foot awkwardly in a pothole in the little climb up off the Tramore Road before the turnaround point.

I had planned this race in two parts run the first half at 7:35 pace and the second half around 7:10/7:15. I actually hit the first half at 7.31 pace so was happy with that. I picked off a good few on the way back in and the pace had picked up with a 7:27 and a 7:05 in mile 7 and 8. At this point I worked out I could do a sub 1:35 if I hit the last few miles in sub 7, alas I picked up a bloody stitch in mile 9 and 10 and it took me a while to get rid of it. I seem to be picking up a few of these in the same area on the right side, strange!!

Mile 9 and 10 came in at 7:21 and 7:14. At this stage I was still feeling fairly fresh and looking back I should have pushed harder but in my own mind had the target of sub 1:37 in the bank. I just pushed out the last 3 miles in 7:06, 7:17 and 7:14. Garmin clocked in at 13.08 so the course was short and that my friends is bloody annoying. This is the only negative I have for the race as I found it very well organised, a very good course ideally suited for PB attempts and the finish on the track was nice to have.
    I ran two half marathons last year, the Enniscorthy half in 1:43:23 and the Dublin half in 1:41:37. To come in at 1:36:31 and knock 5 minutes off my PB and with a lower heart rate is a sure sign I am moving up the fitness ladder.
    A massive well done to Meno who smashed the course in a 1:31:XX, excellent time.

I am looking forward to smashing that sub 3:30 marathon attempt in London.
    Distance: 21.06km
    Time: 1:36:31
    Pace: 4.35km/7.22 mile
    Avg HR: 165, Max 171
    Summary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice running. i am sure the course was not very short. My garmin was bang on all the mile markers up to mile 12. I think them sending us up onto footpaths in the last mile left it about 60m short, but I'm not complaining,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Jacky on a terrific PB in those conditions!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice running. i am sure the course was not very short. My garmin was bang on all the mile markers up to mile 12. I think them sending us up onto footpaths in the last mile left it about 60m short, but I'm not complaining,.....

Yes i was the same up to mile 12, they seemed to loose the distance in the last mile alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I ran two half marathons last year, the Enniscorthy half in 1:43:23 and the Dublin half in 1:41:37. To come in at 1:36:31 and knock 5 minutes off my PB and with a lower heart rate is a sure sign I am moving up the fitness ladder.

Well done, I didnt think that todays race would be PB material with the weather, but quite a few have knocked out PBs today. I think people wanted to get back quickly to eat the Rocky Road cakes before they were all gone. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done, I didnt think that todays race would be PB material with the weather, but quite a few have knocked out PBs today. I think people wanted to get back quickly to eat the Rocky Road cakes before they were all gone. :D

I had to fly down the road straight after the half as the missus thought she was going into labour:eek:. So sad i missed out on blaaahs and cakes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I had to fly down the road straight after the half as the missus thought she was going into labour:eek:.

Women!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Women!:rolleyes:

I know they just don't get this running lark!!

Advertisement