Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

White Pasta vs. Brown Pasta

• 13-04-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I always eat a large amount of rice or pasta before any sporting events I have. Up until recently I only ever had brown rice or pasta but when I started to run out of it I chanced the white stuff and have got better results from it.

So I'm wondering is there really a big difference between white and brown pastas and rice in terms of energy and carbohydrates? I know brown has a small bit more fibre but is that the only difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Lots about this online. Basically it's to do with the sugars and how they're released and used by the body. Brown rice is better for you as it is lower GI, meaning it will release its energy slowly keeping you fuller for longer. The fibre also aids this.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Lots about this online. Basically it's to do with the sugars and how they're released and used by the body. Brown rice is better for you as it is lower GI, meaning it will release its energy slowly keeping you fuller for longer. The fibre also aids this.

Aye, that's what I thought but I sort of got bogged down by the numbers. Would this have much of an effect on athletic performance or is GI Index simply a matter of what keeps you fuller for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Lago wrote: »
    I always eat a large amount of rice or pasta before any sporting events I have. Up until recently I only ever had brown rice or pasta but when I started to run out of it I chanced the white stuff and have got better results from it.

So I'm wondering is there really a big difference between white and brown pastas and rice in terms of energy and carbohydrates? I know brown has a small bit more fibre but is that the only difference?

Are you eating the pasta in isolation or with other foods? If you're eating other foods (proteins or fats) with the pasta/rice the GI scale tends to be far less relevant, as these other macronutrients will slow down the overall digestion of the meal, hence absorption into bloodstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

It's mostly pasta in isolation. Some times I may have a small amount of milk or some other form of carbohydrate like porridge or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Not much difference in basmati white rice and brown rice. Both have a low GI content. Brown rice is just a bit lower that it all. Personally I eat basmati rice and white pasta as im not a fan of brown nice and hate brown pasta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement