Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recipe suggestions - low fat, no/low carb

• 08-04-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m looking for some recipe suggestions for (relatively) low fat, no/low carb meals. Long story short, I’m exercising with a personal trainer at the moment and I’m finding the suggested diet a little same-ish. I'm on a 'no carb' for another week or so, then I can introduce some back into my diet.

I can use lots of vegetables (esp. green veg), spices and herbs, meat and fish, eggs etc so anything you can suggest to liven up my diet would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.... OS

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is much better suited to the Nutrition & Diet forum.

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

oakshade wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m looking for some recipe suggestions for (relatively) low fat, no/low carb meals. Long story short, I’m exercising with a personal trainer at the moment and I’m finding the suggested diet a little same-ish. I'm on a 'no carb' for another week or so, then I can introduce some back into my diet.

I can use lots of vegetables (esp. green veg), spices and herbs, meat and fish, eggs etc so anything you can suggest to liven up my diet would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.... OS

If you're on a no-carb, low fat diet I suggest grilling two chicken breasts on a George Foreman grill and covering in a milk of magnesia sauce 3 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

I just started mine today low carb low sugar low dairy. I had an omelette with cherry tomatoes, spinach, turkey, mushrooms & onion for lunch having chicken salad for dinner. Maybe try some homemade soup with ryvita & cottage cheese, cod & steamed veg, look up low carb recepies.com might get some ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Hi all,

What are your daily carb/fat limits you are trying to start under?
    There are plenty of resources out there for low carb recipes, but including low fat in the equation is a little unusual as what you're talking about then is a diet high in protein.
    Why low fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

I love how the advert in the middle of this thread is for pizza .
    Best of luck with diet OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That's up to yourself, google 'remarketing'. ;)

On Topic,

Low carb/low fat sounds horrible, and most likely unnecessary, typically you'll have at least a high/moderate amount on either as well as high protein.

What's your recommended intake of each?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Hahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

MaceFace wrote: »
    What are your daily carb/fat limits you are trying to start under?
    There are plenty of resources out there for low carb recipes, but including low fat in the equation is a little unusual as what you're talking about then is a diet high in protein.
    Why low fat?
    Essien wrote: »

Low carb/low fat sounds horrible, and most likely unnecessary, typically you'll have at least a high/moderate amount on either as well as high protein.

What's your recommended intake of each?

Hi folks, thanks for the response. I should first put on the record that I am completely inexperienced in this, a complete novice. By 'low fat', I guess I mean obvious fats. I don't have an upper limit set for carbs.

My current diet consists of Brekkie (eggs and bacon), snack of a green apple, Lunch (Meat and Green Salad), snack of berries/natural yougurt, Dinner (stir fried meat/green veg).

I am enjoying it and the diet plan isnt too bad, I'm just looking for ways to 'liven up' my stirfrys, chicken, fish etc that won't kill the diet.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

In that case then don't worry about low fat diet.

Unless medically required there is no need to eat low fat and low carb, you're just making it too unpleasant and difficult.

If all you want to do is lose weight then you need to eat balanced meals.

Any meal with meat/fish and veg with minimal added sugar will get you there. This leaves you with more healthier options.

I am enjoying it and the diet plan isnt too bad, I'm just looking for ways to 'liven up' my stirfrys, chicken, fish etc that won't kill the diet.

Thank you.
    Sauces, spices. And learn to use vinegar.
    Make your own sauce as you cook your stir fry. Little salt, little sugar, little vinegar cornflour to thicken.
    You can flavour sauces with soy, garlic chilli ginger, a whole host of spices and fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

You could try this cauliflower rice which would go well with a meat curry or meat chilli

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/

• Advertisement
Advertisement