Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Test coming up in two weeks

• 18-04-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Just booked my test there in Rathgar, got to pick a date as well. So picked the one in 2 weeks time. ( Wednesday morning 08:20am ) Have never been out driving that early before, suppose it will be fairly busy as people are going to work.

I have been driving for nearly 4 month now, had 10 hours lesson with a proper instructor ( no need to do the 12 hours EDT as got my provisional in 2010 ). I am an Ok driver, but as this is my first time doing the test, i was wondering if anybody can offer some advice/pointers on this driving center ( Rathgar ) and the early morning test.

Starting to get nervous now. :D

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Don't worry about it just practice in that area if you can for the few mornings at the same time beforehand, swot up on the rules of the road too no point losing points on the easy parts, but mainly just slow everything down in your head and try to relax while remaining alert to whats happenning around you.

Good luck with the test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭tommyjin83

Thanks for your advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Did both my tests there, failed first time got it second time. 2 completely different routes I got it on what is considered the harder route but I actually really like that route.

Things to note:

It's very easy to get a grade 2 leaving the test center when you go out the gate stop before the footpath then edge out towards the road if you go straight over the footpath and stop at the roads edge you'll get a grade 2 for not checking for pedestrians.

Observation is key the route goes down a lot of narrow roads with both bus lanes and cycle lanes. Make sure you leave sufficient clearance to parked cars there will be be lots everywhere.

Practice the right turn from Rathgar road into Frankfort Avenue there is no filter it's very awkward you usually have to edge into the junction and then go on the red light if you haven't had a gap in oncoming traffic. Don't worry about breaking a red light once your in the junction you have control of it and are entitled to turn (provided it's safe to do so).

Frankfort avenue has a small 2 way section at the start that will only fit one car so watch out for on coming traffic already on the road. once you pass the first turn off to the left it's one way only so no oncoming traffic. watch the ramps. The right turn at the end of Frankfurt avenue onto Upper Rathmines road is also awkward due to limited visibility - peep and creep to get round.

Turn about was in Cowper Downs. Reverse around the corner first trun left on Temple Road. Hill start - hill at the Dropping well.

I had no problem with either examiner both very fair. The first even pointed out where I'd got my marks which they don't have to do.

Unfortunately Rathgar has the second worst pass rate at 40.16%. Get lots of practice in you'll be fine. I passed with 6 lessons and 4 months of daily driving.

My actual test route for you to practice:

- Exit test centre gate turn right
    - Proceed down Orwell Rd to Crossroads with Rathgar Rd turn right into Rathgar Rd.
    - Proceed down Rathgar Rd. to junction with Frankfurt Ave. Turn Right
    - Proceed down Frankfurt Ave. to junction Upper Rathmines Rd turn Right
    - Take 2nd left into Cowper Road. Take first left into Cowper Downs. Take first right turnabout in road (Demonstrate hand signals)proceed back to Cowper Rd turn left onto Cowper Rd.
    - Proceed to crossroads with Palmerstown Rd turn right.
    - Proceed to end of road turn right.
    - Proceed to traffic lights and turn left onto Darty Rd.
    - Proceed along Darty Rd take first left in to Temple Rd. at first turn left perform Reverse around the corner. Turn right back onto Temple Rd.
    - Turn left at traffic lights onto Darty rd. Follow Road to Dropping Well pub turn right.
    - Pull in and do a Hill start.
    - Proceed along lower Churchtown Rd. past Luas stop take right turn at lights onto Orwell Rd.
    - Proceed to the junction with Breamor Pk. turn left.
    - Turn left at the lights onto Breamor Rd.
    - Turn right at the next set of lights at the bottom of the hill on Dodder rd lwr.
    - Proceed back to Orwell Rd. turn left.
    - Proceed back to test centre.

The testers send someone out to scout the routes first thing in the morning. If there are accidents, roadworks they will alter routes to avoid these as much as possible. If it's during rush hour traffic they will try to keep you away from the traffic by driving through housing estates as they are testing your ability to drive not sit in traffic. There is no such thing as a set route they can go where ever they like in the surrounding area.

Best of luck.

Hey Daxve,

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very comprehensive, i have just done my pre-test tonight around the Test center, the route which i took was very similar to the one you mentioned.

Here are my results, got 11 grade 2 marks, better than i thought. Of the 11 marks, 2 were for speeding ( was at 60km when should be at 50km ), 3 marks for observation ( turnabout, at cross junction and moving off ), 2 marks for clutch control ( cut off twice - one just when i was driving out the test center ), 1 for over revving the engine, 1 for positioning when driving straight, 1 for steering and last 1 for not indicating when overtook a cyclist.

So, overall think i have some work to do in next 2 weeks or so.:)

Daxve wrote: »
    Did both my tests there, failed first time got it second time. 2 completely different routes I got it on what is considered the harder route but I actually really like that route.

Things to note:

It's very easy to get a grade 2 leaving the test center when you go out the gate stop before the footpath then edge out towards the road if you go straight over the footpath and stop at the roads edge you'll get a grade 2 for not checking for pedestrians.

Observation is key the route goes down a lot of narrow roads with both bus lanes and cycle lanes. Make sure you leave sufficient clearance to parked cars there will be be lots everywhere.

Practice the right turn from Rathgar road into Frankfort Avenue there is no filter it's very awkward you usually have to edge into the junction and then go on the red light if you haven't had a gap in oncoming traffic. Don't worry about breaking a red light once your in the junction you have control of it and are entitled to turn (provided it's safe to do so).

Frankfort avenue has a small 2 way section at the start that will only fit one car so watch out for on coming traffic already on the road. once you pass the first turn off to the left it's one way only so no oncoming traffic. watch the ramps. The right turn at the end of Frankfurt avenue onto Upper Rathmines road is also awkward due to limited visibility - peep and creep to get round.

Turn about was in Cowper Downs. Reverse around the corner first trun left on Temple Road. Hill start - hill at the Dropping well.

I had no problem with either examiner both very fair. The first even pointed out where I'd got my marks which they don't have to do.

Unfortunately Rathgar has the second worst pass rate at 40.16%. Get lots of practice in you'll be fine. I passed with 6 lessons and 4 months of daily driving.

- Proceed down Orwell Rd to Crossroads with Rathgar Rd turn right into Rathgar Rd.
    - Take 2nd left into Cowper Road. Take first left into Cowper Downs. Take first right turnabout in road (Demonstrate hand signals)proceed back to Cowper Rd turn left onto Cowper Rd.
    - Proceed along Darty Rd take first left in to Temple Rd. at first turn left perform Reverse around the corner. Turn right back onto Temple Rd.
    - Turn left at traffic lights onto Darty rd. Follow Road to Dropping Well pub turn right.
    - Proceed along lower Churchtown Rd. past Luas stop take right turn at lights onto Orwell Rd.
    - Turn right at the next set of lights at the bottom of the hill on Dodder rd lwr.

The testers send someone out to scout the routes first thing in the morning. If there are accidents, roadworks they will alter routes to avoid these as much as possible. If it's during rush hour traffic they will try to keep you away from the traffic by driving through housing estates as they are testing your ability to drive not sit in traffic. There is no such thing as a set route they can go where ever they like in the surrounding area.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Hey Daxve,

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very comprehensive, i have just done my pre-test tonight around the Test center, the route which i took was very similar to the one you mentioned.

Here are my results, got 11 grade 2 marks, better than i thought. Of the 11 marks, 2 were for speeding ( was at 60km when should be at 50km ), 3 marks for observation ( turnabout, at cross junction and moving off ), 2 marks for clutch control ( cut off twice - one just when i was driving out the test center ), 1 for over revving the engine, 1 for positioning when driving straight, 1 for steering and last 1 for not indicating when overtook a cyclist.

So, overall think i have some work to do in next 2 weeks or so.:)

No problem there are some easy fixes there the 2 for speeding for a start the maximum speed limit on all routes in Rathgar is 50 kmph you should drive as close to this as possible given the prevailing traffic conditions. A speedo over states speed by 10% or so so try and drive around 53-54 kmph on the speedo.

Over exaggerate your observations but do it in a way that it's not obvious that you are over exaggerating. Rathgar needs lots of observation.

Don't worry about stalling you may not even receive a mark for it if you react to it properly they are as interested in how you deal with the stall as the stall itself. Yeah the exit is tricky as it's up an incline you need enough acceleration to get out the gate but need to stop before the footpath. Practice the exit a few times (at times when the test center is closed)

I would also practice this route - this was my first test and was done at the same time you have yours - It's probably a more likely route for the time as it avoids heavy traffic

- Exit test center turn left. Go through traffic lights (stay in right lane before lights) down the hill over the bridge take right turn to Dodder Road Lwr.
    - Follow Road around to Traffic lights turn left at lights. Take first right into Woodside Drive.
    - Pull in Hill start.
    - Follow road around the sharp left hand turn on Hillside Drive.
    - Take first right into Whitehall Road. Follow road around to traffic lights at junction with Nutgrove Ave.
    - Procced through the lights past Nutgrove SC up the hill.
    - Take first exit on roundabout onto Barton Road East. (only roundabout on Rathgar test route it's strange that you can pass your test and never go near a roundabout)
    - Take first turn right into Meadow grove.
    - Take first turn left then first turn right (the green space should now be on your right)
    - Take first turn right, perform a turnabout. (lots of observation this a housing estate with children about)
    - proceed back to junction and take turn to right
    - At T junction take left turn then take the next right turn.
    - Take the first left turn into Beechlawn. You can be asked to the reverse around the corner at any of the roads on the left. The first is long and shallow with a bit of a kink that tends to catch people out. Never tried the 2nd or 3rd. The 4th is hard to do properly - very sharp angle and the road back is on an incline the clutch at biting point alone will not get you around it will need some accelerator and there is a pothole to make things even more interesting.
    - Turn back onto Beechlawn and proceed to T-junction with Willow Road - Turn left
    -Turn left at T-junction with Meadow Grove.
    - Take the next turn right. Proceed to T-junction with Barton Road East. Turn left onto Barton Road.
    - Take the next right at the traffic lights onto Beaumount Avenue and proceed down the road to the junction with Nutgrove Avenue. (Remember to yield merging into road on your right you don't have right of way)
    - Turn left onto Nutgrove Ave.
    - Take the second right (beside the church) onto Oakdown Road. Proceed to crossroads with Upper Churchtown Road turn right.
    - At the junction with Braemor Road turn left
    - Proceed along Braemor Rd. (watch your speed very easy to speed on this section) to the junction with Breamor Park turn right.
    - proceed to junction with Orwell Road turn left and back to test center

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck OP:)

You got to pick your test date though? Did you book online or over the phone? I've just booked my test in Rathgar online (don't feel anywhere close to being able for it yet though) thinking I would get to choose my date, but after confirming the booking it just said they would be in touch soon re. my test date:confused:

Hey Daxve,

Yeah, my instructor mentioned that the speeding was easy to correct as well. I will make sure to work on the observation. I haven't stalled in couple of months, guess i was just too nervous.

I will try to do the following route as you suggested as well.

Oh forgot to say, my instructor got me to change the time, he thought 8:20am could be tricky, so i did with the new date 9th May on 15:45 .

Thanks for the help.:)
    No problem there are some easy fixes there the 2 for speeding for a start the maximum speed limit on all routes in Rathgar is 50 kmph you should drive as close to this as possible given the prevailing traffic conditions. A speedo over states speed by 10% or so so try and drive around 53-54 kmph on the speedo.

Over exaggerate your observations but do it in a way that it's not obvious that you are over exaggerating. Rathgar needs lots of observation.

Don't worry about stalling you may not even receive a mark for it if you react to it properly they are as interested in how you deal with the stall as the stall itself. Yeah the exit is tricky as it's up an incline you need enough acceleration to get out the gate but need to stop before the footpath. Practice the exit a few times (at times when the test center is closed)

I would also practice this route - this was my first test and was done at the same time you have yours - It's probably a more likely route for the time as it avoids heavy traffic

- Exit test center turn left. Go through traffic lights (stay in right lane before lights) down the hill over the bridge take right turn to Dodder Road Lwr.
    - Follow Road around to Traffic lights turn left at lights. Take first right into Woodside Drive.
    - Pull in Hill start.
    - Follow road around the sharp left hand turn on Hillside Drive.
    - Take first right into Whitehall Road. Follow road around to traffic lights at junction with Nutgrove Ave.
    - Procced through the lights past Nutgrove SC up the hill.
    - Take first exit on roundabout onto Barton Road East. (only roundabout on Rathgar test route it's strange that you can pass your test and never go near a roundabout)
    - Take first turn right into Meadow grove.
    - Take first turn left then first turn right (the green space should now be on your right)
    - Take first turn right, perform a turnabout. (lots of observation this a housing estate with children about)
    - proceed back to junction and take turn to right
    - At T junction take left turn then take the next right turn.
    - Take the first left turn into Beechlawn. You can be asked to the reverse around the corner at any of the roads on the left. The first is long and shallow with a bit of a kink that tends to catch people out. Never tried the 2nd or 3rd. The 4th is hard to do properly - very sharp angle and the road back is on an incline the clutch at biting point alone will not get you around it will need some accelerator and there is a pothole to make things even more interesting.
    - Turn back onto Beechlawn and proceed to T-junction with Willow Road - Turn left
    -Turn left at T-junction with Meadow Grove.
    - Take the next turn right. Proceed to T-junction with Barton Road East. Turn left onto Barton Road.
    - Take the next right at the traffic lights onto Beaumount Avenue and proceed down the road to the junction with Nutgrove Avenue. (Remember to yield merging into road on your right you don't have right of way)
    - Turn left onto Nutgrove Ave.
    - Take the second right (beside the church) onto Oakdown Road. Proceed to crossroads with Upper Churchtown Road turn right.
    - At the junction with Braemor Road turn left
    - Proceed along Braemor Rd. (watch your speed very easy to speed on this section) to the junction with Breamor Park turn right.
    - proceed to junction with Orwell Road turn left and back to test center

Best of luck

Hi,

I initially booked online for 3rd May at 8:20am, then i rescheduled for 9th May ( 15:45 ). I would thought that you could pick the date cuz when i picked mine last week., there were a lot of dates available on that little calendar thingy. :)
    Best of luck OP:)

You got to pick your test date though? Did you book online or over the phone? I've just booked my test in Rathgar online (don't feel anywhere close to being able for it yet though) thinking I would get to choose my date, but after confirming the booking it just said they would be in touch soon re. my test date:confused:

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Hi,

I initially booked online for 3rd May at 8:20am, then i rescheduled for 9th May ( 15:45 ). I would thought that you could pick the date cuz when i picked mine last week., there were a lot of dates available on that little calendar thingy. :)

Thanks for your reply. Strange that it wouldn't let me choose a date myself.
    The Rathgar waiting time seems to have gone up to 10 weeks (was 5 weeks last time I checked last week) so maybe it's something to do with that (can't book too far in advance maybe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thanks for your reply. Strange that it wouldn't let me choose a date myself.
    The Rathgar waiting time seems to have gone up to 10 weeks (was 5 weeks last time I checked last week) so maybe it's something to do with that (can't book too far in advance maybe).

It lets you pick a time and date the first time you apply but will not let you if you have done a test recently.

It lets you pick a time and date the first time you apply but will not let you if you have done a test recently.

Hmm this was my first time applying though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Got mine this week. Simply sh*****g myself to be honest. Always been a solid enough driver but under the pressure I really can falter badly.

Done 2 pre-tests around the routes already. (failed both, mainly on observation and indicating) also going to do another tomorrow and one the day of the test just before the real thing.

Hope to God I get it! It's my first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

Things to note:

Best of luck.
    Thanks Daxve.
    Can you guide about the other route as well.
    Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

Hello again! Is there any third route as well? Can someone guide?
    I have been practising these teo routes.
    It is a great thread indeed!

Advertisement