Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question re: applying for learners permit

• 01-09-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a bit confused so was hoping someone could help guide me. I've tried checking a few websites to be my own research but I'm just not 100% sure e.g. http://drivertheorytest.com/driving-licence-ireland.html

The background is that I sat and passed the drivers theory test in 2007. I then applied and received my first provisional license. (this was before the learners permit came in so it was a provisional license that I received).

For one reason or another I never did anything else about learning to drive and my license lapsed. I've also lost the theory test cert which says I passed the drivers theory test as my first provisional license. (it had already expired so I didn't report it to guards or anything).

I'm now looking to start learning to drive again and my questions are

1) Do I need to sit the theory test again? I think yes I do from what I've been reading and I'm fine with that if so.

2) Secondly once I get by the theory test stage should I treat the application for the driver license as if I'm applying for my first license again or a second application?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

If your provisional licence is still within 5 years i.e. you got it sometime between today and 31st Dec 2007 you are ok and can apply for a 2nd one.

If it was earlier in 2007 you must resit the theory test and you will be considered a first time learner permit holder and therefore must do EDT

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

If you got it in 2007. Then it expired in 2009. So it is only out of date by three years. So your next licence will be considered your second and you won't have to do another theory test or EDT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

God I'm a dope, never even took the period it was valid into account. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

never even took the period it was valid into account. QUOTE]
    You're always good with the driving advice, but I'll not depend on you for answering maths questions.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

ADIDriving wrote: »
    If you got it in 2007. Then it expired in 2009. So it is only out of date by three years. So your next licence will be considered your second and you won't have to do another theory test or EDT.

that's great news thanks a million to you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

one further question. I've been reading that for my renewal I need to submit
    • Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years)
    I held one but when it expired in 2009 and i lost it I never reported it as missing. Will this cause an issue if I don't have it when I submit my application or is there anything else I need to do?

I'm assuming I just need to fill out the Lost licence declaration?

Advertisement