Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving without a fully licensed driver

Options
  • 25-08-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I got caught driving without a full licensed driver a few months ago, I received a court summons and my court date is in two weeks. I was just wondering what type of conviction i'm looking at? I had L Plates up and i'm fully taxed and Insured. I also don't have any penalty points on my license and i'm awaiting my driving test date.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Not sure on the points aspect but it's a €1500 fine. It's €3000 if no L-Plates were displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Fairly hefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Can't you do 1 night in the slammer instead? That's easily worth €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Those are the maximum fines, which the OP is unlikely to get if he/she is of otherwise good character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I had a neighbour who recently was summoned to court for the exact same reason (Driving on an L-plate on her own). Because it isn't a rule that's heavily enforced she didn't get a fine or anything, which I think is fair. This was Galway so different parts of the country could be stricter.

Either fully impose a rule or don't impose it at all. It's unfair that OP will face a court-date while thousands of people in similar situations won't IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ash_Mc_

I had a friend of a friend who was in court for the same thing except she had no L plates and laughed while on the stand. She received a €400 fine. I'm hoping I get off as likely as her. Thanks everyone for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its going to hurt you a lot more in Insurance rather then the actual fine. You will have a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Ash_Mc_ wrote: »
    I had a friend of a friend who was in court for the same thing except she had no L plates and laughed while on the stand. She received a €400 fine. I'm hoping I get off as likely as her. Thanks everyone for replying.

If she was fined €3000 she wouldn't be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

What were the circumstances of the incident? Are you a boy-racer type? Were you driving irresponsibly or dangerously? Did you give the constable attitude? Either way, you most likely get a conviction. Happened 2 people I know. I hope you like Ireland because you will not ever be able to get a visa or USA/Canada/Aus/NZ if you have a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

BX 19 wrote: »
    Its going to hurt you a lot more in Insurance rather then the actual fine. You will have a conviction.
    I was under the impression that a fine isn't considered a conviction unless there's jail time or a period of disqualification being considered?
    I hope you like Ireland because you will not ever be able to get a visa or USA/Canada/Aus/NZ if you have a conviction.

This is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

AdMMM wrote: »
    I was under the impression that a fine isn't considered a conviction unless there's jail time or a period of disqualification being considered?

I'm not sure. If your convicted of driving unaccompanied it's going to make a big difference on renewal. Driving unaccompanied is an offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

Does anyone know if your insurance is still valid if driving unaccompanied on a learners permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

AdMMM wrote: »

This is just plain wrong.

They do differenciate between a driving offence and a "criminal conviction" you know !!

I have a conviction for speeding but have a business visa for Australia (which was just renewed) and have enterered the US many times.

No I'm not a boy racer or anything like that. It was a Garda check point and she pulled me in even though the other garda was waving me on:/ She was ok about it and I explained I was only around the corner from where I live, She said she understood but they had to clamp down on this law.

First of all get your facts right, Driving convictions are different. I can still obtain Visas.

She also informed me if i passed my test before my court date it would be more then likely to be struck out, but there is a heavy waiting list for my test centre and still haven't been able to get a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ash_Mc_ wrote: »
    but there is a heavy waiting list for my test centre
    Have been ringing them every week looking for cancellations? Esp cos people will be going on holidays, etc. Be prepared to do the test with a days notice!

When i applied for it, I was on the cancellation list!:/ I rang yesterday and got told they send out text messages with dates and I ring and get that date but I haven't got any text yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

29/08/2012 - 14:26:06
    New laws are set to come into force which will see learner drivers get behind the wheel unaccompanied being handed penalty points.

They'll also get points if they're caught driving without 'L' plates when the new laws come in.

Currently, unaccompanied learners are given a caution and fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

They'll also get points if they're caught driving without 'L' plates when the new laws come in.

Nothing about penalty points for not displaying L-plates in today's report - specifically says there are no plans for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2Scoops wrote: »
    Nothing about penalty points for not displaying L-plates in today's report - specifically says there are no plans for this.

I took the quote from the Breaking News website verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New laws are set to come into force which will see learner drivers get behind the wheel unaccompanied being handed
    penalty points.
    But will Gardai enforce this all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    But will Gardai enforce this all over the country

Probably will as it will be much easier for them compared to the current situation. It will effectively mean them simply writing out a ticket rather than a summons and a court appearance.

Seen this on the news, I actually thought this was already enforced!

Advertisement