Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapshot of your story - FM 12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Most expensive player I have is Stephen Jovetic at 17 million.
    The rest mainly around the 10 million and under mark.

I wonder how cheap you can win the league with, I reckon - very cheap!

In FM 08 I won the league with Crystal Palace with a midfield of Ben Watson, Tom Soares and Fabio Liverani. Top scorer was Zlatan Muslimovic with 21 goals and he cost 75k. Best player was Steffen Hoffmann who I signed for 3 million.

Once upon a time you could do it for pittance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Mars Bar wrote: »
    One striker wanted out coz he wasn't getting games. I accepted his transfer request. Nobody wants to buy him so now he has asked me stay!

LOL, I've seen that with a player I wouldnt accept his request, but I tried to off load him for free, still no takers.

basically, you have to play them to get rid of them! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

7 games without a win with my Chinese first division side. :(

Tried a different formation I had as plan b and that didn't work. Glad the season is over after the next game.

And after giving me a new contract, they sacked me. Bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

December 2016 and I have Crawley Town at 3rd in the Championship. Finished 7th last season, I think we're going up this year!

Smashed Chelsea 4-0 in the league cup 3rd round too, which the board keep mentioning. That should keep them sweet for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In FM 08 I won the league with Crystal Palace with a midfield of Ben Watson, Tom Soares and Fabio Liverani. Top scorer was Zlatan Muslimovic with 21 goals and he cost 75k. Best player was Steffen Hoffmann who I signed for 3 million.

Once upon a time you could do it for pittance!:)

Would you not consider that a drawback of the game though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I went undefeated in the Irish premier division for 6 years and won the Champions League 3 times in a row with Finn Harps in FM08.

I think it might have been my favourite version of the game

retalivity wrote: »
    I went undefeated in the Irish premier division for 6 years and won the Champions League 3 times in a row with Finn Harps in FM08.

I think it might have been my favourite version of the game

How could that possibly be enjoyable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

CSF wrote: »
    How could that possibly be enjoyable?

Even though I was european champions 3 years in a row, everyone wanted to keep moving o bigger clubs, so selling people for a fortune, bringing through kids, dominating everyone in the league and having the champions league as the real competition. Setting records and trying to break them every year.... It wasnt bad at all.

retalivity wrote: »
    Even though I was european champions 3 years in a row, everyone wanted to keep moving o bigger clubs, so selling people for a fortune, bringing through kids, dominating everyone in the league and having the champions league as the real competition. Setting records and trying to break them every year.... It wasnt bad at all.

It sounds to me like playing pitch and putt using the bunker as the hole.

• Advertisement

After being fired by that Chinese team it seems I'm regarded as a poison chalice. Not even the Spanish Division B4 teams want me! I'm gonna have to start a new game I think. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

After being fired by that Chinese team it seems I'm regarded as a poison chalice. Not even the Spanish Division B4 teams want me! I'm gonna have to start a new game I think. :(
    Holiday with the settings as apply for all jobs.

I ended up in the Russian Second Division with a team who were dead last and seemingly had never seen a football before! ALMOST kept them up but got relegated on the last day by a point or two.

I'll try that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Glico Man

After I got sacked by Urawa Red Diamonds, I'd to go on holiday for almost a year and a half before I got a job in some regional division in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Having a wonderful time with Yeovil. Promoted to the Championship after one season, via the playoffs and finished a respectable 14th in our first season there. Got £2m to spend and used it mostly on wages but we're in with a real chance of promotion. Scoring for fun too. Just trounced Millwall 8-1 too. Have won at Stamford Bridge two seasons running in the cup and lost to Liverpool on pens in the League Cup.

I've completely overhauled the first team, mostly with free transfers. Reliable Championship standard names are there like Hayden Mullins, Iain Turner, Clint Hill and Neil Mellor but a couple of gems that I picked up for nothing are worth special mentions - Simen Wangberd on a free from Gent, Curtis Nelson on a free from Plymouth, Antony Golec who I paid 3k for from an A-League team and Ole Kristian Selnæs on a free from Rosenberg.

Yeovil are quite a small club and being promoted so soon may turn out to be a tough experience. Huish Park only holds 9.5k at the moment but I'm hoping to build a dynasty :)

I play a 4-1-2-3, fluid and attacking most of the time. It took the players a while to get used to but we score in pretty much every game, giving the wingbacks the duty of getting high up the pitch while having a DM, a BBM and a supporting CM. Up front it's a TM and two DLFs either side.

Loving this :)

The game is gonna be full of re-gens before I got offered a job.

The game is gonna be full of re-gens before I got offered a job.
    A newly promoted team somewhere will take you on.

I only have the Chinese, Spanish and English leagues loaded so hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I only have the Chinese, Spanish and English leagues loaded so hopefully...
    You can add/remove leagues in this game you know.

flyswatter wrote: »
    You can add/remove leagues in this game you know.

Ah yes, I forgot about that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Ah yes, I forgot about that!

A long overdue feature included at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Just ended the 2018/2019 season and it was my best season yet. I won the Premier League, the League Cup, Champions League, Reserve League and under 18s league, Conor Wickham was on course to win the golden boot but suffered a few injuries he ended up with 32 league goals for me, Sanogo claimed World player of the year and got 48 goals in all competitions. Suffered an awful amount of injuries in game this year hope the pattern doesnt repeat itself

2017/18 and Crawley Town are in the Premiership, oh hell yeah! It's been a long road, but we finally made it.

I'd like to thank my assistant manager Dave Watson for all his advice and motivation.

Roland Bergkamp, for all the crucial goals in League 1, you may not be with us any more, but you'll always be a legend.

Chelsea, for the free loan of Robin Moreau for two seasons, never would have gotten out of the championship without him.

Robin himself, for banging them in regularly and agreeing to a permanent contract with us this season. Don't let that 19k a week go to your head son.

Last but not least of course, the fans, the twelfth man, you kept the team going throughout the tough times and it's time to reap the rewards of success.

Time to consolidate, improve our facilities and push on for European football over the next few years. It's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

CSF wrote: »
    Would you not consider that a drawback of the game though?

I suppose from a realism point of view it is a drawback but it is great craic to win it on the cheap.

The following season I had a proper team having signed Van der vaart, Lloris and a centre-back, but only finished 2nd so it's not like I was able to dominate with that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Equium

I started playing FM 2011 again lately, starting unemployed and with Sunday league experience. In an apparent act of desperation, struggling Norwegian side Stabaek took a punt on me to lead them to Tippe Ligean safety. 4 years on and we have won the national championship on three consecutive ocassions, and made the group stages of the Champions League twice.

Naturally that has become quite boring. So, after reluctantly turning down the job at petro-dollar rich Reginna, I decided to use the CL money to have a serious go at challenging for European honours. Royston Drenthe, Esteban Granero, Juan Albin and a few established Norwegian internationals have been drafted in on big wages to compliment my crop of home-grown youngsters. The results were surprising! Stabaek qualified second from a group containing Arsenal (LD), Porto (WW) and Timisoara of Romania (WD) to set up a last 16 meeting with Inter.

A wonder OG from Lucio and a scrappy second from local lad Aas gifted us a shock 2-0 home win. Stout defending and a gent of a referee ensured we saw out the tie despite a 2-1 reversal in the San Siro. City neighbours AC offered me their job straight away, but I think I'll hang around for the quarters! FM has suddenly become fun again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I'm still addicted to playing FM11 myself. In the 2026 season and my Pro Vercelli team is in the CL 1/4s, Coppa Italia 1/2, top of the league by one point and has won the International Club Cup, Euro Super Cup and Italian Super Cup. Clean sweep maybe? I've the squad for it anyway.

Also, I'm the Spanish manager now and the team is unreal. WC year obviously so hopefully I go one better than the last time, which was runners up with Rep of Ireland. :D

For anyone still playing 11 (and maybe in 12 too), why the hell are the French sides so strong? Lyon and Marseille are always nearly favourites to win the CL and PSG are decent too. Unlike real life...

Anyway, just reading Maximus Alexanders post above there and just wondering. Those players from the lower leagues, when they retire do you offer them coaching/scouting roles? I always do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Equium

For anyone still playing 11 (and maybe in 12 too), why the hell are the French sides so strong? Lyon and Marseille are always nearly favourites to win the CL and PSG are decent too. Unlike real life...

No idea! In my season above, Lyon have won the last two CLs (I have to play them next too) and that's only in 2014. My save with AD Ceuta in Spain sees Lyon as winners one year as well, whilst Marseille have players like Sergio Ramos, Pastore and Neymar to call upon. The French regens are amazing too!

Have you managed the whole way up until 2026 by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Equium wrote: »
    No idea! In my season above, Lyon have won the last two CLs (I have to play them next too) and that's only in 2014. My save with AD Ceuta in Spain sees Lyon as winners one year as well, whilst Marseille have players like Sergio Ramos, Pastore and Neymar to call upon. The French regens are amazing too!

Have you managed the whole way up until 2026 by the way?

Crazy. My dislike to French teams in this game started when the first time I got the CL Semi Final, they scored 2 goals after the 85th minute to go through to the Final on away goals. Sick I was.

I've managed Pro Vercelli in Italy from July 2010 until eh, March 22nd 2026 is the present date. Won Serie C2 straight away. Then got promoted in the Playoffs the next season from C1 to B. One season of medicroty in Serie B but then in the second year there, I made a mistake in only having one winger at the starts of the 2013/14 season, so I decided to play a 4312, which smashed the division finishing on 101pts. Finished 14th in A the next season, but mainly because the 3 that got relegated were terrible and I took 18pts off them three over the year. But it took me like another 7 seasons in Serie A before winning anything, which was the 2021 Serie A. I did lose the 19/20 season by one point on the last day, which was poxy! I won the Coppa Italia in 2020 and have won it 3 other times since.

So, 4 Serie A's, 4 Coppa Italia's, 4 Italian Super Cups, 2 UEFA Champions Leagues, 1 European Super Cup and 2 World Club Championship. As well as the Serie C2, Serie C2 Super Cup and Serie B.

Then managed Republic of Ireland from 2020 and resigned after the 2022 World Cup because I didn't like the job. WC Group was so easy, yet I made a meal of it, finishing 2nd to Congo in a group with Honduras and Qatar. Got Mexico in the Second Round, winning on penos. Drew 0-0 with Italy in the 1/4s, again winning on penos. Strangely, Austria knocked out Spain so I got them in the 1/2 Final. No goals in the 90, but scored twice in extra time to get to the final, which I lost 2-0 to Argentina. So, 1 win in 90 minutes with Ireland and I "drew" my way to the final. Resigned after though.

Took charge of Spain in July 2024 as they sacked their manager for only getting to the Second Round of the 2024 Euros. The squad is class though and I won every game in my Qual. Group bar one, drawing with Hungary in the final game.

So yeah, that's who I've managed. If I win the World Cup I reckon I'll "retire" from this game and move onto FM12 :D

Anyway, just reading Maximus Alexanders post above there and just wondering. Those players from the lower leagues, when they retire do you offer them coaching/scouting roles? I always do. :)

I've actually had such a young squad that only one of my players has retired so far and he wouldn't coach for me. I will try and get Roland as a coach when he retires though, probably in a couple more seasons.

The French teams have not been winning the CL in mine, but the French regens are seriously good for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I started a game with Canvey Island earlier this, its going ok but it is really tough as my squad is useless:eek:

But have done a good chunk of my first season and if I keep going the way I'm going looks like I'll avoid the drop:)

...May even blog about it, seen a user earlier in the thread who blogs about his game, may steal his layout:P

Advertisement