Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iron Man 3

Options
  • 19-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭

Source
    Disney, Paramount Pictures, and Marvel Studios have announced via press release that Iron Man 3 will be released in on May 3, 2013. Under a new deal, Disney will be responsible for the marketing and distribution of the film, and will also oversee The Avengers. (The studio paid Disney $115 million for the transfer of rights.) Paramount will be releasing Marvel’s Thor on May 6, 2011 and Captain America on July 22, 2011. “Five years ago, when Paramount and Marvel made our initial deal, both our businesses were in very different places,” Paramount CEO and Chairman Brad Grey said in the release. “We are grateful for the partnership we have had with the terrific Marvel team over these years and proud of the work we have done together. Today, this new agreement is the right deal for Paramount, for Marvel, and for Disney. We look forward to working together on Thor and Captain America, and we wish Disney and Marvel the utmost success, in what we know will be a very productive and wide-ranging partnership.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved 'Iron Man' but saying 'Iron Man 2' was a massive disappointment is an understatement! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

To be honest, I found the Iron Man films to be very medicore. Not bad at all but far from being great films, I do like Downey so it was nice that the 1st film boosted his appeal again and brought him back up the ranks.

Iron "Meh" more like :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

basquille wrote: »
    Loved 'Iron Man' but saying 'Iron Man 2' was a massive disappointment is an understatement! :(

Agreed. I was stunned by how poor Iron Man 2 was. It felt like it was made not by Favreau but by an inferior director trying to direct like Favreau. Writing was pretty awful too.

Only saving gace was Black Widow *drool*....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I thought Iron man 2 was pretty! Loved the fight scene with Stark And Rhodey in Tonys house. The main thing I dodnt like was that just as in Iron man 1, the bad guy was basically just a bigger iron man. But other than thought I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Agreed. I was stunned by how poor Iron Man 2 was. It felt like it was made not by Favreau but by an inferior director trying to direct like Favreau. Writing was pretty awful too.

Only saving gace was Black Widow *drool*....

Are you kidding that black widow crap was such OTT teenage boy wet dream nonsense and ruined the movie more than it already had been.

I loved Iron Man but the sequel actually BORED me, though it had all the fanboys drooling with the avengers references etc tossed in resulting in decentish reviews.

Most of all I found ALL of the action in it to be severely formulaic and uninspired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I kind of agree; the best thing about the Black Widow was John Favreau's fight scene.

I liked Iron Man a lot, though it really comes to pieces towards the end (the dialogue in the climactic battle is especially awful), but the sequel was all over the place. The humour wasn't as consistent as the first one, the action was pretty dull and predictable and the pacing was off - probably due to the Avengers ad shoe-horned into the film. (I liked some of the Avengers material, even smiled at Captain America's shield, but it was clearly foisted on the writer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Iron Man 2 can suck my iron balls

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I didn't mind Iron Man 2, really. It was pretty much exactly what I've come to expect from a comic based sequel, ie everything from the first one times 2.

I didn't think it was terrible. It's the type of thing you sit back and let wash over you. As said above, the little nods to the comics and to the Avengers (loved seeing Thor's hammer at the end) were a nice treat, as was Scarlett Johannson, and I thought Sam Rockwell was brilliant in his role (I'm fairly sure almost all of the moments I found funny involved him).

I'll watch Iron Man 3. I'm not going to expect a masterpiece, but it'll be a bit of fun. I just hope they put some better villains in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

humanji wrote: »
    I didn't mind Iron Man 2, really. It was pretty much exactly what I've come to expect from a comic based sequel, ie everything from the first one times 2.

I didn't think it was terrible. It's the type of thing you sit back and let wash over you. As said above, the little nods to the comics and to the Avengers (loved seeing Thor's hammer at the end) were a nice treat, as was Scarlett Johannson, and I thought Sam Rockwell was brilliant in his role (I'm fairly sure almost all of the moments I found funny involved him).

I'll watch Iron Man 3. I'm not going to expect a masterpiece, but it'll be a bit of fun. I just hope they put some better villains in it.

scar jo and rockwell best things about 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Hopefully it's more IM1 than IM2 (and doesn't give the whole film away in the trailer again).

Interested in seeing a live-action take on The Mandarin which They've supposedly been building toward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thatll probably play better after thor.

IF it doesnt tank.

people have no prob with tech villains as it plays into themes of the arms race but one thats borderline mystical is a hard sell to the average cinema goer.

prety much the only marvel movie aliens that comes to mind is the silver surfer and the galactus cloud so the mandarin getting his rings from a crashed space ship is gonna be tough if they go with his origin.

with thor, despite the mythological stuff, its basically super advanced aliens. at least from how the trailer was done.

im NOT against mandarin, just saying it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

I enjoyed the Ironman movies more than any other marvel film adaptation, not looking forward to Thor, looks cheap IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jon Favreau not directing, well that's a load of sh*te!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/14/jon-favreau-will-not-direct-iron-man3/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Stories abound that they gave him the boot through confusing the plot to the point that he'd leave as he is rumoured to have netted a total of 10 million for Iron Man 2 and they didn't fancy coughing up for a third.

To be honest, I think judging by the quality of the second a change of director is a welcome change. Unless of course the more likely scenario occured which is that studio intervention is what messed up the second, personally my least favourite parts were those that focused on Fury, SHIELD and the reasons behind Stark feeling a need to rely on both, in other words, the factors that lead directly to The Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

iron man 2 was a 2 hour long mac vs pc advert parody

Stark = mac (its all shiney and streamlined and good at parties and being popular)

hammer = pc (big bulky mass produced and prone to bugs)

mickey rourke = tetris :D (he was robbed!)

Yes I have indeed made the film about .5% more bareable to watch.

http://ie.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1140278p1.html

Basically says that he wants to do something original instead of getting stuck in the expectations mill for Iron Man 3

To me it sounds like a combination of creative differences with ulterior motive as I suggested earlier and also him genuinely not fancying going up against the fan expectations of a third Iron Man film (which would be following The Avengers) as well as the expectations for improvement from all those that weren't happy with Iron Man 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

niallon wrote: »
    Stories abound that they gave him the boot through confusing the plot to the point that he'd leave as he is rumoured to have netted a total of 10 million for Iron Man 2 and they didn't fancy coughing up for a third.

To be honest, I think judging by the quality of the second a change of director is a welcome change. Unless of course the more likely scenario occured which is that studio intervention is what messed up the second, personally my least favourite parts were those that focused on Fury, SHIELD and the reasons behind Stark feeling a need to rely on both, in other words, the factors that lead directly to The Avengers.
    Considering the studio also kicked out Edward Norton, I'd say it's a safe bet the studio pulled the plug on Favreau and they're all pretending that it's just time for him to move on.

I didn't mind the second one at all. It was exactly what I expected it to be. You people need to have very low expectations! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Both movies suffered from a bit too much silliness in my opinion. I know they are comic book movies but some parts were just a bit cringe. And I dont really know if I like the character of Tony Stark, he's a bit of wanker to be honest.

That said, the fight scene at the end of iron man 2 turned me into a 10 year old boy. It was awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Both movies suffered from a bit too much silliness in my opinion. I know they are comic book movies but some parts were just a bit cringe. And I dont really know if I like the character of Tony Stark, he's a bit of wanker to be honest.

That said, the fight scene at the end of iron man 2 turned me into a 10 year old boy. It was awesome.

He's a douchebag....lets be honest!.....how could he diss Leslie Bibb like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Iron Man 2 felt less like a sequel and more like a stop gap story.

That being said I'll be sad to see Favreau go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Because thats what it was. Its the setup for Tony going into the Avengers, and providing some background for more that we're going to see in Thor and Captain America (
    Howard Stark rumoured to be a bigger character in CA, for example
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Because thats what it was. Its the setup for Tony going into the Avengers, and providing some background for more that we're going to see in Thor and Captain America (
    ).

Sounds Interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Because thats what it was.

Yeah but it should've more self-contained rather than a commercial for the avengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

humanji wrote: »
    Considering the studio also kicked out Edward Norton, I'd say it's a safe bet the studio pulled the plug on Favreau and they're all pretending that it's just time for him to move on.

I didn't mind the second one at all. It was exactly what I expected it to be. You people need to have very low expectations! :D

Yeah that's pretty much it, possibly people's opinion's of comic book adaptations have been overly heightened by batman/dark knight, there have been so many in the past 10 years or so but the majority are middle of the road/mediocre bordering on hackneyed action movies tbh.

possibly people's opinion's of comic book adaptations have been overly heightened by batman/dark knight,

This ^^^^

I remember going to see Hellboy 2 a week after The Dark Knight and just thinking I'd just watched the greatest piece of crap I've ever see, and this is from a massive Hellboy fan.

Went again a few weeks later under orders and subsequently viewing it on DVD it's one of my favourite comic book adaps but TDK spoiled it, and it has been the same for me with every comic book adap since, not that I now see Iron Man 2 as a masterpiece but definitely my immediate opinion of it in the cinema was extremely more negative than it should have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

B (
    ).

Well he is in a lot of the promo shots for Captain America, so I imagine he has a bit of screen time.

I see they have had to give up on having cameos by one or both of
    Wolverine (as James Howlett) and Magneto (as a young Erik Lehnsherr)
    as both tie into the WWII timeline, and
    Wolverine
    fought alongside Cap during WWII in the comics.

Seems that the issues over legal rights could not be agreed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Very interesting choice, makes me a lot more interested in the whole project now.

Will Iron Man get to say the immortal line of "I'm getting too old for this ****"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I wonder how much RDJ has effected this decision. Like i'm pretty sure he has thanked him many times for casting him in kiss kiss bang bang.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

It seems kind of pointless if Shane Black only directs.
    The guy is a fantastic writer. If he was brought on board early enough to have a sizeable influence on the story IM3 could be something very special.

+ it's not even clear if he's a good director, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is all about the script.

Advertisement