Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Website problem

• 24-08-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hey - I bought a website a few months back, put in a good bit of work and have been able to make a decent amount out it monthly. I only bought the website for a few hundred and the guy offered free hosting on his own servers for a year, which I was a bit apprehensive about but did it anyway. Is it possible/easy for him to interfere with my website now that is hosted on his own servers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Montroseee wrote: »
    Is it possible/easy for him to interfere with my website now that is hosted on his own servers?

Yes x 2. He would have full access to your data, and your site's source code / files. He would also have the ability to wipe it altogether.

If you suspect he would, you ought to move to a different hosting provider (how easy that would be depends on your site's requirements). At the very least, make sure to take full backups regularly (database, files/source code, logs, etc.).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Why bother having the guy host it at all?

If you now own the domain, change all the passwords, buy some hosting, host it yourself, and live life worry free :)

Advertisement