Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declan Ganley - Prime Time special

• 28-11-2008 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Firstly, I voted yes, but I watched this with interest last night to see if this was an attempt to discredit him.
    In my opinion it came across that way.
    Maybe it is the way the media work.
    IMO, he had a point of view, expessed it and the country agreed with him.
    Simple as that.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Firstly, I voted yes, but I watched this with interest last night to see if this was an attempt to discredit him.
    In my opinion it came across that way.
    Maybe it is the way the media work.
    Simple as that.....

Of course it was an attempt to discredit him! The media get to be a free media most of the time by towing the Govt line when they are told.

However, I think they credit Libertas with having too much influence on the referendum. I voted against, partly because we were told only a fool would read the whole treaty. If you went to the bank and they said just sign here don't bother reading it, you would walk out.

My opinion is that the Govt are trying to scapegoat Ganley for their failure to ram the views of the "Ruling Elite" down our throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Indeed, I voted against Lisbon, but it was despite Ganley, not because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Methinks you're giving Deco a little too much credit. I would rephrase you're statement as:

"he had a point of view, but he kept that to himself and set out to deliberately deceive and mislead the public. It worked."
    sfakiaman wrote: »
    However, I think they credit Libertas with having too much influence on the referendum.
    Really? You only have to look around this forum to see the influence that Libertas have had - snippets from their website are frequently used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I never seen the state broadcaster use such blatent propaganda. The character assasination of the no to Lisbon campaign is well underway.

Trying to Implicate Ganley with a murder of an Albanian, robbing old people's savings, being investigated by the FBI(who never found any evidence worth persuing) How much of the taxpayers money was spent sending that Evening Herald hack to Latvia, Albania, the USA, Cyprus for fancy backdrops to accompany the x-files soundtrack they had, the absolute lowest ebb for Prime Time I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I have no doubt Mr. Ganley will be seeking legal advice following this poorly attempted character assassination.

Their 'expert witness' being a disgruntled Albanian pensioner and the 'thought provoking' silence as the credits rolled. It was effectively a Yes Vote political broadcast.

RTE's declaration of being impartial is interesting!

RTÉ is a Public Service Broadcaster, a non-profit making organisation owned by the Irish people. RTÉ is Ireland's cross-media leader, providing comprehensive and cost-effective free-to-air television, radio and online services, which are of the highest quality and are impartial, in accordance with RTÉ's statutory obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Everyone is calling it a character assasination, but it wasnt. They merely stated that he was involved in what look like some dodgy dealings. Probably nothing major but the fact remains. The main question was where does Lbertas' funding come from, as yet unanswered by Ganley, because of 'Brussels Fanatics' or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

They merely stated that he was involved in what look like some dodgy dealings.

While playing dodgey EVIL spy music in the background. Letting the credits roll with no music.

If they were just trying to show his questionable dealings they would have left out all the theatrics, they wouldn't have had any of that sensationalist sh1te.

I cringe when I watch how unprofessional a lot (but not all) Irish produced television is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Of course it was an attempt to discredit him! The media get to be a free media most of the time by towing the Govt line when they are told.

Maybe it's because I just dno't digest Irish media any more but I've never noticed this.
    However, I think they credit Libertas with having too much influence on the referendum. I voted against, partly because we were told only a fool would read the whole treaty. If you went to the bank and they said just sign here don't bother reading it, you would walk out.

Do you read every EULA that comes with every piece of software?
    My opinion is that the Govt are trying to scapegoat Ganley for their failure to ram the views of the "Ruling Elite" down our throats.

Am I the only one sick of seeing the term "elite" being bandied about so much. As I've said in my post in AH, it conjures up images of hacks like Rush Limbaugh going on about the "liberal elite" et al.
    Not to mention it smacks of paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I voted against, partly because we were told only a fool would read the whole treaty. If you went to the bank and they said just sign here don't bother reading it, you would walk out.
    So you read the treaty then?
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Methinks you're giving Deco a little too much credit. I would rephrase you're statement as:

"he had a point of view, but he kept that to himself and set out to deliberately deceive and mislead the public. It worked."
    +1
    Everyone is calling it a character assasination, but it wasnt. They merely stated that he was involved in what look like some dodgy dealings. Probably nothing major but the fact remains. The main question was where does Lbertas' funding come from, as yet unanswered by Ganley, because of 'Brussels Fanatics' or some such nonsense.
    +1
    It amazes me how blind some people are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't know if it was a character assassination (I watched it with an open mind) but it did ask questions about him that he didn't answer very well. He didn't come across well in some of the interviews segments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Quinine wrote: »
    Am I the only one sick of seeing the term "elite" being bandied about so much. As I've said in my post in AH, it conjures up images of hacks like Rush Limbaugh going on about the "liberal elite" et al.
    Not to mention it smacks of paranoia.

"Ruling Elite" was Charlie McCreevies description of (use own choice of words here). Besides being paranoid doesn't mean they are not all out to get you

RTÉ is a Public Service Broadcaster, a non-profit making organisation owned by the Irish people.
    Non-profit? Since when?
    They merely stated that he was involved in what look like some dodgy dealings.
    I didn't see the programme myself, but I find it rather amusing that people are only now questioning Ganley's background.
    Quinine wrote: »
    Am I the only one sick of seeing the term "elite" being bandied about so much.
    Indeed. Surely if such an "elite" exists, Ganley is part of it. This is a man who reportedly donated £30,000 to the (right honourable :rolleyes:) Liam Lawlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It was a low point in the Prime Time series.

What I can't understand is how he was continually quizzed about his private affairs. He has every right to not speak about how much money he made, or lost, on these private companies.

It is not wrong to refuse to answer questions that you have no obligation to answer.

That being said, he must start being straight with SPO as he is obliged to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Eurosceptic2008

Ganley is now saying (according to someone on politics.ie referencing Newstalk Lunchtime today) that the SIPO 'notice' letter doesn't exist. Clearly FF are behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Ganley is now saying (according to someone on politics.ie referencing Newstalk Lunchtime today) that the SIPO 'notice' letter doesn't exist. Clearly FF are behind this.

What about the copies of the letters that Prime Time showed?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at an Oireachtas Committee recently, also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ganley is now saying (according to someone on politics.ie referencing Newstalk Lunchtime today) that the SIPO 'notice' letter doesn't exist.

I'm sure he is, but his denial is hardly the final word of an objective third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Eurosceptic2008

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm sure he is, but his denial is hardly the final word of an objective third party.

Oh come off it. If SIPO can't confirm it exists then clearly this was a stitch-up. We expect a lot more of it between now and Lisbon II and the real damage it will cause is likely to be to the yes side because we don't dig this type of politics in this country as Bertiegate showed in 2007.
    What about the copies of the letters that Prime Time showed?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at an Oireachtas Committee recently, also.

That is impossible since Prime Time claimed the letter was a 7 day final-demand letter. There was no such mention of this on an Oireachtas Committee. You are confusing this with Ganley being called before the Oireachtas Committee on Ireland's Future in Europe to put forward the Libertas argument on the Treaty and what should happen now. I wonder was it a copy or a concoction?

We expect a lot more of it between now and Lisbon II and the real damage it will cause is likely to be to the yes side because we don't dig this type of politics in this country as Bertiegate showed in 2007.
    Rest assured, Ganley has been "diggin'" this "type of politics" for quite some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It was clearly a character assasination job. If it wasn't they would have told us some nice things about him instead of trying to dig up dirt, any sort of pathetic irrelevant dirt.

The entire show, with it's creepy music and constant irrelevant/pointless allegations was a stitch up.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It was clearly a character assasination job.
    Quite a few times somebody has said that now and yet, I do not believe anyone has attempted to counter any points raised in the programme.

• Advertisement

Quite a few times somebody has said that now and yet, I do not believe anyone has attempted to counter any points raised in the programme.

Why would one need to counter the points? I'm sure some of them may even be true

Doesn't mean it wasn't a character assassination though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xxmammamxx

i thought this was the most one sided pathetic piece of progaganda i have ever seen on tv. i am disgusted that rte and our so called govt - that they would lower themselves to back biting just because lisbon didn't get voted in. shame on them. it was the dirtiest politics i have ever seen. they certainly lost my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

About time, I say. It's just playing the game at Ganley's level. I mean, his tactics on Lisbon were based purely on lies and half-truths, so he should be prepared for a dirty fight-back. It's just a pity there wasn't a proper response to his lies back in May and June.

"It's all in the game, yo", "Play in the dirt and get dirty", etc, etc (You just have to love The Wire for those quotes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It's no big deal if you think Ganley is a scumbag.
    The real issue is, don't you think it's unethical of the national broadcaster to air blatant character assassination programmes for political points?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xxmammamxx

so by reading your thread you come across a person that was fully involved in writing the treaty and know of every truth and lie that was told by both sides of the vote. i would be delighted to pick your brain on the issue. if not, please note that some of us made up our own minds on how we voted, but that still defeats the fact that it was such a one-sided show and hopefully libertas will be able to repond without as much editing on a less biased channel.

RedPlanet wrote: »
    It's no big deal if you think Ganley is a scumbag.
    The real issue is, don't you think it's unethical of the national broadcaster to air blatant character assassination programmes for political points?

This is exactly my issue

He's more thank likely as crooked as a 9 pound note and as dodgy a character as you'll ever meet, who has no effect on how I would vote, but Prime Time did itself no favours last night.

I thought it was simply terrible. I was laughing it was so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Hattchet Job! Ganly on newstalk today said that he would be happy to come on to the live segment of Prime Time to answer any of the points raised and they turned him down! I have been a huge fan of Prime Time and had a great deal of respect for it's reporters, I will have serious questions about it's integrity and credibility in the future, I thought I was watching FOX after a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Fair enough lads, perhaps Prime Time has let itself down badly on this, but then shouldn't this thread be over in the Television forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Fair enough lads, perhaps Prime Time has let itself down badly on this, but then shouldn't this thread be over in the Television forum?
    Not really, because this programme should be viewed in the larger context of Libertas and the Lisbon referenda.

• Advertisement

xxmammamxx wrote: »
    they certainly lost my vote.
    Who? RTE?

Advertisement