Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok folks, made ye a vid of the multiplayer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »

nice. Hey did you notice at the start that you can blow out the roof window behind you and jump down instead of using the stairs. Gets a bit hectic though as the room you jump into is full of zombies. Still its fun to pull a leeroy jenkins when the rest of your team are slowly creeping down the stairs :D

L31mr0d wrote: »
    nice. Hey did you notice at the start that you can blow out the roof window behind you and jump down instead of using the stairs. Gets a bit hectic though as the room you jump into is full of zombies. Still its fun to pull a leeroy jenkins when the rest of your team are slowly creeping down the stairs :D

Ya, my young fella copped on2 that one, you can break it with a melee attack. No point playin this on any other level but expert, loads of peeps on the Valve forum even asking for a higher insane or suicide level, but then again this is only the first 2 levels of the game, I'm sure it'll get impossible with some of the other maps we've not seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is sounding like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Out of curiosity, what are the minimum specs for running this game? Usually games release recommended and minimum specifications, but I can only find the one for this game.

• CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    • RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    • DISC DRIVE: DVD-ROM Drive
    • HARD DRIVE: At least 7.5 GB of free space
    • VIDEO: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
    • SOUND: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

I have a feeling the the old AMD 3700+ and 7600GT aint gonna cut it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Out of curiosity, what are the minimum specs for running this game? Usually games release recommended and minimum specifications, but I can only find the one for this game.

• CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    • RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    • DISC DRIVE: DVD-ROM Drive
    • HARD DRIVE: At least 7.5 GB of free space
    • VIDEO: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
    • SOUND: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

I have a feeling the the old AMD 3700+ and 7600GT aint gonna cut it :(
    www.srtest.com

Minimum: 256 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better so I'd say your ok

Looks like the rig just about passes. Must try the demo and see how it plays. Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Sounds like an excellent game, will get it purchased online tomorrow. Also if you havent already have a look at "the hidden". Its a HL2 mod that would really fire some of you up.

Looks like a lot of fun. I assume that was easy mode? A couple of points there where you were completely swamped and it really seemed silly that you survived.

Also, I am incredibly sick of double pistols. It looks silly and it makes no sense. Am I alone in this?

• Advertisement

I've never bought anything off steam before. Do they use an exchange rate on the games or do they rip European gamers off and charge at the dollar rate? In other words, does the game cost 35 EUR or 45 EUR?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As much as it looks like fun, it does seem like a big clusterf*ck of zombies at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

they die pretty easily. you dont need to pump bullets into them so big hordes are survivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Zillah wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fun. I assume that was easy mode? A couple of points there where you were completely swamped and it really seemed silly that you survived.

Also, I am incredibly sick of double pistols. It looks silly and it makes no sense. Am I alone in this?

If I can shoot two pistols at the same time instead of one while facing a horde of zombies i'm not gonna complain !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Whoever played yer wan has gotta learn the meaning of 'crossing the tube'!

Actually that was expert mode

I'm curious, I bought the game on steam (they don't tell you about the tax the cheeky buggers) and I open the 'my games' section in Steam and it says the game isn't released yet. Am I correct in assuming all those youtube clips are from the demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I'm curious, I bought the game on steam (they don't tell you about the tax the cheeky buggers) and I open the 'my games' section in Steam and it says the game isn't released yet. Am I correct in assuming all those youtube clips are from the demo?

Yeah you just get the demo before everyone else and hopefully get to play the full game a day before everyone else but hey you never know.

Ya its the demo, 2 maps and just a few weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Sounds like an excellent game, will get it purchased online tomorrow. Also if you havent already have a look at "the hidden". Its a HL2 mod that would really fire some of you up.

Totally thought of the hidden when looking at a few maps there. But Zombie panic would be closer.

Yeah I totally agree, its just cringy too me at this stage. Its worse when they do it in movies though.

• Advertisement

Pyr0 wrote: »
    If I can shoot two pistols at the same time instead of one while facing a horde of zombies i'm not gonna complain !

Haha :)

Ok if there's a wall of zombies then yes, two pistols I suppose is somewhat feasible. I still think it looks silly though and the idea of anyone aiming two guns at once with any competency is a bit much.
    Actually that was expert mode

Really? I can see why people are calling for Super-Expert mode then. I think at the highest level of difficulty it should be expected that one or two players aren't going to make it.

If we're going to take inspiration from zombie movies then we know that a large percentage of the cast will be killed and eaten, and that they're going to be spending a lot of their time desperately fleeing from zombies and boarding up doors. The whole spray of bullets thing is a little too gung ho for me. I think a zombie game like this would be best as a horror story with some action, not an action game with some horror.

Really? I can see why people are calling for Super-Expert mode then. I think at the highest level of difficulty it should be expected that one or two players aren't going to make it.

I think you need to play it. Health packs are few and far between, and the distance between safe rooms could mean you have to fight off numerous waves of zombies. Also your buddies AI is rubbish. You absolutely need 4 humans playing if you want to have a hope at completing this game on Expert.

Here's a clip I recorded of myself playing on my own with the computer. What adds to the horror is that the placing of the zombies is completely random each time you play it. You could come around a corner one time and there'll be 1 zombie, the next time there might be 50. You also always have a sense of being surrounded, as even if you've cleared a path, more zombies will still keep attacking from behind you.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I think you need to play it. Health packs are few and far between, and the distance between safe rooms could mean you have to fight off numerous waves of zombies. Also your buddies AI is rubbish. You absolutely need 4 humans playing if you want to have a hope at completing this game on Expert.

Here's a clip I recorded of myself playing on my own with the computer. What adds to the horror is that the placing of the zombies is completely random each time you play it. You could come around a corner one time and there'll be 1 zombie, the next time there might be 50. You also always have a sense of being surrounded, as even if you've cleared a path, more zombies will still keep attacking from behind you.

Saw you playing through Steam Boards group but it wouldn't let me join.

Great game. Looking forward to the full release.

Auto-shotgun ftw btw.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Saw you playing through Steam Boards group but it wouldn't let me join.

Could've done with ya, L31mr0d & myself had a go at multiplayer yesterday with L31mr0d hosting the game and we found it v difficult on expert with just the 2 of us and 2 "bots". The bots are ok for covering and healing you, but they don't push forward. We've figured that you need to push forward quickly as he longer you hang around the more you get swamped down. Fantastic game, cant wait for more maps and weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Does it annoy anyone else that the flashlight its just comming out of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Was playing last night with my friend and a pub plus one bot, we had just gotten to the safe house in the apartment level. My friend said "hey everyone get ready to run" shot the red car and the horde starts pouring in, me and the pub get to the safe house first and decide to close the door on him :P He's there desperately trying to get into the safe house and then suddenly all i see through the slit are about 50 zombies rushing down the stairs and pile right into him at the door. I couldnt stop laughing.

But i should of know he would get his own back which he did on a repeat of that level, he had managed to startle the horde (or maybe i did i cant remember) and he had managed to get to the safe house first. I was running as fast as i could to the door, came short before the horde ran into me. I start trying to fight them off and start shouting at him for help, i quickly turn around to the door to see if he's helping me, and he was just standing there LAUGHING watching. I was in tears from laughter and it got even better. I managed to get to the door but he had closed it then bot Bill who was in the room with him tried to help me up after i was knocked down, so my friend lets him out the door and shuts it on us and watches us both die. :p

For anyone who's having stuttering issues, it's an issue with multi-core processors. You can set the game to run on only one core by setting the affinity in Task Manager to a single core and that should fix it until Valve fixes the issue. A Valve guy posted in one of the threads on the Steam forums about the issue so they are aware of it. It doesn't seem to be a very common bug, most multi-core setups work just fine.

I've got 2 gaming pc's in the house, mine which is in sig and another for my Son with 8800GT, E6600 C2D & 2GB ram (we share a Steam account as I not play Steam games much, till now). I was having serious stuttering issues with this game on his pc. Setting affinity to a single core sorted it instantly and he can max the game with triple buffering v-sync, 16xQ CSAA, 16xAF with Shaders Very High at 1280x1024 and get a constant 60fps. I can play with the same settings at 1920x1200, but I had no stuttering issues with a quad core.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remind me; is this demo available to everyone yet, or still just to the pre-order people?

Oh and the AI on the zombies seems weird in those videos. Many seem to be just milling around in a room, ignoring you until you fire at them or come up pretty close.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and the AI on the zombies seems weird in those videos. Many seem to be just milling around in a room, ignoring you until you fire at them or come up pretty close.

Well the Zombies are supposed to be dumb, like usual. I've walked into a room that had a TV on and there was a zombie there just clawing at the screen, he only noticed me once I shone my flashlight at him.

@Maximilian: Add me as a friend in steam. Most of the games I've played where friends only so you wouldn't of been able to join unless you are in my friends list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really liking the demo,how many missions or levels are there in the full game?

Advertisement