Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After the birth

• 08-12-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im due this day next week and was wondering does anyone know what the placenta and fluid etc weighs? I was overweight getting pregnant so put on about 1 stone but Im trying to work out how much i can expect to loose after the birth? not that it matters hugely.....just curious ..........................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Im due this day next week and was wondering does anyone know what the placenta and fluid etc weighs? I was overweight getting pregnant so put on about 1 stone but Im trying to work out how much i can expect to loose after the birth? not that it matters hugely.....just curious ..........................

You're going to lose about 12lb on the day of the birth. However your body will still be holding fluid etc. You will experience a postpartum bleed (lochia) for some weeks and will be constantly losing weight as this happens. I put on about 2 stone and lost 1.5 stone in total. So yep I was pigging out in my 3rd trimester.

Your body shape will most likely be different, most people have permanently wider hips and less full boobs (with all the increasing and decreasing in size).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My boobs went up a full bra size after no. 1 hubby was delighted and she wasn't even breastfeed
    I've no idea how much weight I've put on with this one but being naturally skinny anyway I don't really care ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

after my first i weighed pretty much the same as at full term, confused me a little that i didnt even lose the baby weight or else i put it up within a week of givin birth. :S anyway just had my second, 2 and a half weeks ago, i gained 10kg by fullterm and i weighed myself yday and am down that 10kg... So i think it varies with pregnancies and people. :) good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Approx:

7 - 9 pounds of baby
    2 pounds of placenta
    2 pounds of amniotic fluid
    4 - 5 pounds of increased blood volume
    2 pounds uterine enlargement
    3 - 4 pounds of fluid in maternal tissue
    1 pound of breast enlargement to prepare for breastfeeding
    Any remaining pounds are a general deposit of fat required by the body for breastfeeding and energy stores

Dont know the weight of my 2nd and 3rd babies placentas but the 1st one was really heavy the heaviest they had seen in a long time. Think it was 3.5lb. the only thing i was told about the second guy is that is was ragged so thought i might need a d&c, no mention of it with the 3rd guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

before pregnancy I was size 10/12 (depends on the brand) during pregnancy I got 35 extra kg. at the end I could hardly move and was all swollen.
    After birth I lost around 13kg and because I'm breastfeeding and drinking plenty of still water I'm 4 months after labour and nearly got to my previous size. 7 mor kg to lose and Im back to my old size.

Breastfeeding takes alot of weight, so if you can try it. It might not be easy first month or so, but then is piece of a cake.

I didnt find breast feeding helped me loose weight,

before i had kids i was between 7 stone 12 and 8 stone 4 (im 5 foot 5)

after the first i was 9 stone 4 after 2 weeks ( i breast fed her for 2 and a half years) i stayed 9 stone 4 until i had my second 5 years and 10 months later, after him i was to 9 stone 6 after 2 weeks, i stayed that weight for 7 months when i was pregnant again after the 3rd i put on a stone and was 10 stone 5 for 2 years, 4 years after the last guy was born the weight has crept up to 11 stone and no amount of dieting will cut it :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

One thing I really wish I had planned for before I had my daughter was organizing my clothes for when I came home. Before i got pregnant I was size 12, I presumed I'd be 14 after wards, but I was a big size 16.

I had no clothes ready to wear, my maternity clothes were too big. I had no problem getting my daughter ready to leave the house in the 1st few weeks but dressing myself was a different story, I had 1 pair of trousers, 3 pairs of leggings and 3 sweaters.

12 weeks later I weigh 1/2 a stone lighter than when I came home from hospital but I and still size 16.

Aside from, that the main thing I hadn't expected were really bad piles after 2 hrs of pushing at the end of the delivery. This was much worse than the stitches and is still an issue 12weeks later.

I think breastfeeding pulled me back into shape rather than made me loose weight, but after 3 days I was starving every time I fed baby, so maybe I counter-acted any benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

grindenwald
    what was your diet when you were pregnant? what was your diet after birth?
    maybe hormons levels were incorrect and that's why your weight didnt go back to what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I think it really depends OP. I left my bump behind me after 5 days in hospital, but I saw plenty of women walking around who still looked pregnant when they left. I'm lighter now and have been for the last 3 months(9st 2lb) than I was before I got pregnant (between 9st 9lb and 10st) after 6 months of breastfeeding.

If I'd only had him before I got married, I could've saved a fortune on Weightwatchers:D

• Advertisement

ani_mal wrote: »
    grindenwald
    what was your diet when you were pregnant? what was your diet after birth?
    maybe hormons levels were incorrect and that's why your weight didnt go back to what it was?

During the first pregnancy i was very sick all way vomiting (even during the 36 hour labour) was put on a drip for 5 days at one point, still managed to put on 3 stone though:confused:. After i had her my diet was very much the same as when i was pregnant but without the vomiting.

With the 2 boys (2nd and 3rd pregnancies) i had no vomiting after 12 weeks but a lot of nausea, diet was very much the same during and after pregnancy, I've never had my hormone levels tested.

The 3rd guy had the heal prick done and his thyroid was under active, he was tested again and was fine, they said my thyroid must have affected his, so i was tested and mine was fine (is it possible to have an under active thyroid only while pregnant:confused:) also with the 3rd guy i nearly developed gestational diabetes i had all the signs (hypos, thrush, sugar in urine) but i had him before it kicked off:). 8 weeks after i had him my eldest was diagnosed insulin dependent diabetic:eek::mad:.

(i get my thyroid checked every year and i have my blood sugars tested twice a year too, under active thyroid run in the family with my mother 4 aunts and 6 cousins (only 1 has an over active thyroid). Also thyroid disease goes hand in hand with diabetes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Its AMAZING how much you lose just by getting rid of baby, fluids, placenta etc.
    Out of interest weigh yourself now and when you get home from hosp.
    Dont listen to anyone who tells you breastfeeding makes you lose weight though.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

BengaLover wrote: »
    Its AMAZING how much you lose just by getting rid of baby, fluids, placenta etc.
    Out of interest weigh yourself now and when you get home from hosp.

My Mum lost weight on every pregnancy (weighed less immediately after the birth than she had pre-pregnancy). But my sister discovered that genetics weren't solely responsible for that, eating sensibly during the pregnancy and not using it as an excuse to pig out on chocolate and crisps really helped too :)

My sis gained over a stone on each pregnancy, but she did lose it pretty quickly, she put it down to breastfeeding and carrying a little person around all day (or, on the second, running around after one while carrying the other).

There aren't any weight control or weightloss miracles though. It just comes down to balancing your intake of food with nutrients you need and the amount of energy you actually use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

BengaLover wrote: »
    Dont listen to anyone who tells you breastfeeding makes you lose weight though.. ;)

It certainly worked for me! But I suppose everyone is different.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

deemark wrote: »
    It certainly worked for me! But I suppose everyone is different.

Yeah it's funny. I only lost the last bit when I stopped. There are certainly no absolutes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Had my baby last week and I am now 7lbs lighter than I was full term and daughter was 8lbs.....just doesn't add up! Diet starts after Christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Im actually half a stone lighter now- 17wks then I was before i was pregnant, I say its down to pretty bad morning sickness couldnt eat in the evenings at all,

My mother never gained weight but her excuse was she never changed her diet she would eat the same amount as she did before pregnancy with throwing in a bit more fruit or veg,

Once my morning sickness passes I say I will balloon eeekk its been the only thing stopping me from completely pigging out!! :D

Advertisement