Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What am I forgetting??

• 01-12-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I would consider myself scatterbrained at the best of times but being pregnant has multiplied that by a thousand :rolleyes:

I finally decided to pack my bag for hospital last night but am CONVINCED i've forgotten something important so ladies take a look and let me know if you think i've forgotten something :D

For myself:
    PJ's x 2 plus an old nighty for the labour ward
    Dressing gown & slippers
    Slipper socks
    Toothbrush, mouthwash, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush, scrunchies, cooling wipes for face
    Pack of maternity pads & disposable knickers
    Breast pads

For the babs:
    3 vests
    3 sleepsuits
    3 bibs & burbing cloths
    6 nappies
    small tub of sudocream
    small bag of cotton wool

I am divided between bringing my own going home outfit with me or getting hubby to bring it in to me afterwards
    For the going home outfit for the babs I got a REALLY cute snowsuit thingy in dunnes http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=12&section_id=44&sub_section_id=76&range_id=569&product_id=13142&__pg_ps=16&__pg_pg=1
    I was thinking of just putting this on over his/her normal clothes for the trip home

Any other ideas/suggestions?

I should add that the doctors have said that if I have a normal uncomplicated delivery that I will be able to go home within 36 hours hence the small amounts of everything but if worst comes to worst hubby can bring in top up supplies

PS
    I know I need to take a trip to Mothercare for nursing bras unless someone knows somewhere closer to Ennis that I can get them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Hi, I am only 11 weeks gone so unfortunately cant help on the list but just had to say that I was almost getting excited for you reading that........I am a long way away but reading this made me get really excited about the thoughts of my first baby being around!
    And looking at the little snowsuit you got him/her nearly had me in tears!! Bloody hormones!! Anyway, just wanted to say, best of luck with the birth, i hope it all goes well for you and hubby....(and baby of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

bath stuff for baby and shower stuff for you, towels (dark colour recommended!), camera? complete outfit for baby for when after they are born, including hat, in a clear bag so midwife can find, often they put them on the radiator to have them warm. Baby blanket?
    If this is your first make sure that whoever is bringing you home knows how to fix the carseat in the car!

might be worth bringing a few more nappies.

oh yeah and a notebook and pen to keep track of feeds and nappie activity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

goosie2005 wrote: »
    bath stuff for baby and shower stuff for you, towels (dark colour recommended!), camera? complete outfit for baby for when after they are born, including hat, in a clear bag so midwife can find, often they put them on the radiator to have them warm. Baby blanket?
    If this is your first make sure that whoever is bringing you home knows how to fix the carseat in the car!

might be worth bringing a few more nappies.

All excellent suggestions thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Plenty of baby vests and grows. We brought 5 of each and still i ended bringing in more.....

Lip balm my partner said it was a gift. Her lips got very dry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

you'll need a lot more nappies, my baby had 5 poo's in a row while we were in hospital, literally minute i changed her she went again. I went through 2 small packs of pampers.

Also a lot more bibs, my baby was a drooler and also you'll need socks and scratch mittens babies can be born with long nails.

Also bring loads of pads for yourself. I was changing mine very frequently. Also maybe few more pj's.

I also left a lot of nappies, cotton wool, pj's for you and babies clothes in babies room really clear for people to see. As you know people they can forget something or bring the wrong thing in my accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

winnie im with you! im only 18 weeks gone but reading your post angel im getting sooooo excited, i cant wait to be at your stage:D

at this stage im looking at little outfits but im trying to be good and wait a little while longer, hubby reckons we'll need an extension soon, i've already bought the buggy!!!

angel i really hope all goes well for you;);)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hey :) congrats, I'm in the same boat, keep packing and unpacking my bag lol..

Here's what I have that's not on your list..

some little antiseptic wipes for baby's cord stump.
    A whole pack of nappies, I think you will need more than 6.
    A little baby grooming kit for clipping his/her nails etc.
    You're baby bath stuff, my Sister says they expect you to have your own when they come around to give the baby a bath..
    Scratch mits

You'll probably need more vests and sleepy suits as I'm told they do puke and poo a lot in the first day or so..

I got my nursing bras in M&S if there's one near you, 2 for €32.. They're €22 for 1 bra in Mothercare :)

If I think of anything else I'll come back to you..

Best of luck :)

PS, when are you due?? I'm the 12th :eek: :p

xzanti wrote: »
    Hey :) congrats, I'm in the same boat, keep packing and unpacking my bag lol..

Here's what I have that's not on your list..

A whole pack of nappies, I think you will need more than 6.
    A little baby grooming kit for clipping his/her nails etc.
    You're baby bath stuff, my Sister says they expect you to have your own when they come around to give the baby a bath..
    Scratch mits

You'll probably need more vests and sleepy suits as I'm told they do puke and poo a lot in the first day or so..

I got my nursing bras in M&S if there's one near you, 2 for €32.. They're €22 for 1 bra in Mothercare :)

If I think of anything else I'll come back to you..

Best of luck :)

PS, when are you due?? I'm the 12th :eek: :p

Baby bath stuff now packed thanks to goosie2005's post yesterday ;)
    And yes I have put in more nappies :D

The antiseptic wipes I would have NEVER thought of and its such a basic thing
    Baby grooming kit? Seriously? Feck is this list never going to end :eek:
    I'll end up bringing a suitcase ;)

Due on the 19th am HOPING that I go early I don't fancy spending Christmas weekend in the maternity!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Due on the 19th am HOPING that I go early I don't fancy spending Christmas weekend in the maternity!

Fingers crossed the little bundle arrives on time and you're home for xmas dinner ;)

• Advertisement

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed the little bundle arrives on time and you're home for xmas dinner ;)

Fingers crossed the little bundle arrives early and I'm fit to turn up at my mother's for Christmas dinner :D

I'll end up bringing a suitcase ;)

I'm bringing 2 bags, one for the labour room with a small amount of stuff and then a big one for the overnight stay ward with a sh1tload of stuff in it :D My OH has been slagging me for bringing too much but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it ;)

I also have a 3rd bag packed for coming home.. We are going to stay with my folks for the 1st day or 2 though so I will need a good few things packed for that..

Just praying the snow eases off, am terrified of going into labour and having problems getting to Hospital.. We live in Kildare and are attending The Rotunda :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

In Holles Street and also by my PHN I was recommended not to use anything on this other than cooled boiled water

I personally don't like those baby wipes and wouldn't be putting antiseptic wipes of any sort near delicate little baby skin!!!:D

Baby grooming kit? Seriously?

Not needed in the hospital in my opinion. If you have sratch mitts you should be fine for clipping nails etc until you get home.

My top tip: ear plugs! I found it so hard to get any sleep at the hospital at all as its so noisy all the time! When OH came, he'd take over baby duties and I'd pop the ear plugs in and get some much needed rest. I'd also recommend a few snacks for the ward after. The food leaves a lot of to be desired and I also found I was ravenously hungry so it was handy to have something to hand to munch on

Vel wrote: »
    Not needed in the hospital in my opinion. If you have sratch mitts you should be fine for clipping nails etc until you get home.

That's great if they leave the mitts on, most newborns I've seen with these on end up wriggling out of them within a few minutes..

Re the wipes, I wouldn't have thought of these either but my Sister has had 5 babies (3 + twins) and she swears by them, I don't think they're actually used on the surrounding skin.. just on the part that's about 2 drop off..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I would suggest some wipes for yourself - these are in the toilet/loo roll dept of the stores and are flushable. They're great in case you can't get to a shower as much as you'd like, or in case you wind up with stiches that make cleaning the area more difficult. They're really just a nice way to freshen up :)

Also, some folks like the antibacterial wipes to use on toilet seats, sinks, etc.

I completely agree with the idea of having a labour bag (with magazine/book, camera & comfy clothes), a post-delivery bag (with baby's new clothes, clean clothes for you & shower gear) & a going home bag (which partner can bring on last day, including clothes for you & babe). You may have to move around a bit in hospital, either before or after birth, and the easier you make it to keep yourself organised, the better.

That's great if they leave the mitts on, most newborns I've seen with these on end up wriggling out of them within a few minutes..

Re the wipes, I wouldn't have thought of these either but my Sister has had 5 babies (3 + twins) and she swears by them, I don't think they're actually used on the surrounding skin.. just on the part that's about 2 drop off..

I found I could keep the scratch mitts on by tucking the ends of them into the sleeves of the baby gro.

I've had two kids, both under two, the most recent nearly 4 months and found the cool boiled water perfect for dealing with the cord. Whatever you are happy using yourself but I do think it is important to add that anti-bac wipes are not a necessity for cord area care.

yeah, the hospital supply you with anticeptic wipes for the stump, wouldn't worry about the grooming kit, instead of sratch mitts, can use little socks (or some of the babygros have a flap in the cuff that you can pull over the hands to act as mitt)..

I always have a labour bag and a bigger bag with basically more of most things... you always end up sending OH out to get something..usually something embarrasing for them like...more maternity pads (those huge green ones are great for the first few days...look like skateboards and can be got in mc cabes) , treatment for piles (would recommend haemoclin, excellent stuff), also if you end up with stitches (cooling gel pads are brill, and some witchazel), some people like to have a sports squirty bottle with them (for the first pee!, to squirt some warm water as you're going! can eally sting!) also if you end up with a C section you will need big granny knickers, where the elastic sits well above the scar.)

Also buy anewspaper on the day baba born, nice keepsake!

Beware that there isn't much room in the ward, so try to keep bag small as possible!

will post more if i think of anything.

goosie2005 wrote: »

Beware that there isn't much room in the ward, so try to keep bag small as possible!

Good tip. I didn't have too much with me but had a massive bag and it was forever in my way, especially when I had visitors.

I have thick, unmanageable hair and decided the hassle of trying to wash and dry it in the hopsital was too much, so I brought a can of that dry shampoo to sort it until I got home.

I think many women on here who've had kids before will agree that the disposable knickers are useless and uncomfortable. I stocked up on a load of big granny pants from Penneys instead.

Also, I found the Holles Street way too hot so wouldn't recommend fleecy pj's. Might be better to wear a few layers that you can peel off depending on how hot/cold you feel.

• Advertisement

I'm lucky in that my sister works in Boots in Limerick so can bring in any unmentionables that I might need :D
    Am hoping to only be in the hospital for a max of 36 hours (fingers crossed) so I am thinking a tiny bag for the labour ward
    A bigger bag for the car which hubby will fetch when required
    A going home bag in the house (already packed)

Keep the suggestions coming girls
    When i posted this yesterday I had a gym sized bag packed
    It was upgraded to a medium sized travel bag by last night but by the rate this is going I'm gonna end up with a suitcase ;)

Advertisement