Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We're going off topic here.
    Tailgaiting is driving too close to the vehicle in front. If you are too close to the vehicle behind then its the fault of the vehicle behind.

• the previous operators of the Toll Plaza paid VAT on their take. Which in turn meant that businesses making use of the Toll Bridge could claim the VAT back.

The new operator (that would be the State) will not be paying VAT on their take, but will continue to charge the same and higher tolls.

Nice little 21% hike there.

any truth to the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

any truth to the above?

Yes. eFlow collect payments on behalf of the government so VAT isn't chargeable. The amount remains (almost) the same so the cost to VAT registered businesses rises considerably. Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Just wondering has anybody recieved their tags and if not does anybody know when they are due to be sent out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I certainly will not be using the M50 plaza particularly if I am going from South Dublin to the Navan road, I will continue drive my large van through Lucan town and any other village en route.

In principal I am appalled by the increase in charges for commercial vehicles. In a time when the Government should be helping businesses in this economic struggle they strangle them and in turn forced them to subsidise one of the most sophisticated unmanned Garda surveillance systems in the country.

• Advertisement

• markpb wrote: »
    Yes. eFlow collect payments on behalf of the government so VAT isn't chargeable. The amount remains (almost) the same so the cost to VAT registered businesses rises considerably. Scam.

hey so I heard this today, and if its true it is a 21% hike, has is been highlighted by the media at all? maybe I missed it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The toll for vans will be €2.80 as opposed to €3.30 though. It's €2.80 now if you go through the booth whereas it used to be €3.30, the difference being the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i am over to ireland early next year when i come off the ferry how do i get out of dublin {going south}without going through a tunnel or toll ?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

getz wrote: »
    i am over to ireland early next year when i come off the ferry how do i get out of dublin {going south}without going through a tunnel or toll ?

If your car hasnt got an Irish reg you cant be charged on M50 toll anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I certainly will not be using the M50 plaza particularly if I am going from South Dublin to the Navan road, I will continue drive my large van through Lucan town and any other village en route.

In principal I am appalled by the increase in charges for commercial vehicles. In a time when the Government should be helping businesses in this economic struggle they strangle them and in turn forced them to subsidise one of the most sophisticated unmanned Garda surveillance systems in the country.

I'd use nearly €2 of fuel doing that in my car - would the same not apply to a van (and the associated higher charge)? Not to count lost time and extra mileage.

• Advertisement

Just don't follow most of the trucks when you get off the ferry, most of them will be heading for the tunnell. Follow the signs for city centre and you'll pass by "The o2" which will be on your right hand side, to go south, your best bet is to take the first exit at the roundabout at the o2 and go over the bridge to the East Link toll bridge, this will be about €1.80 for a car I think? Then just carry on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Head straight through the city centre - this is likely the quickest option for a car anyway and I believe it is still the one signposted from the Port. Follow the N4 to the M50, go south from there to the N7 and theres your access to the south - no tolls.

EDIT: Cormie's got there before me, but if you head along in another bridge along the quays, its toll-free. The East Link leaves you off the wrong side of the Dodder anyway so you'd have to double back...
    damo9090 wrote: »
    If your car hasnt got an Irish reg you cant be charged on M50 toll anyway.

Not correct, it has already been announced that the charges for non-Irish registered cars will be 'sold' to a debt collection agency. And he won't hit the M50 toll without using the barrier tolled Port Tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Debt collection agencies have no legal powers to collect said debts. They won't get paid. The Norwegian government tried doing the same and it failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Debt collection agencies have no legal powers to collect said debts. They won't get paid. The Norwegian government tried doing the same and it failed miserably.

Apparently you're right, I thought it was more successful...

linky
    Transport for London (TfL) is chasing more than 88,000 foreign drivers who have left owing £8.8m in unpaid bills since January last year.

So far only 25,000 of them have been identified and just £500,000 collected.

TfL said lack of a Europe-wide agreement on traffic fines meant UK local authorities had "great difficulty" tracing foreign drivers.

But a TfL spokesman said the £500,000 it had clawed back was "the highest recovery of foreign debt for traffic offences amongst local authorities in the UK".

So why can they get the cash in the UK and not in Norway?

Norway being not in the EU may be the problem.

Norway is full of barrier free toll roads. They had a lot of foreigners taking advantage to they decided to try to collect the dosh. It didn't work out too well. The problem is getting access to the relevant vehicle registers in the various countries.

Also the debt collectors they assign the debts to have no powers to make someone pay. They can threaten legal action till the cows come home but that won't force someone to pay. Any legal action would need to be taken in the country where the debt originated i.e. Norway etc. Also no one will sue a foreigner for a toll.

I predict the exact same here. All the talk is just propaganda to keep the locals quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd use nearly €2 of fuel doing that in my car - would the same not apply to a van (and the associated higher charge)? Not to count lost time and extra mileage.
    Most of my journeys over the Westlink would be off peak so that so time would not be an essance. Fuel would hardly add up to four euros. The fact that there is no flexible toll on this particular bridge that has been paid off many times over is scandalous particularly in the light that they are now about to use an automated computerised system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

luckat wrote: »
    Oh, sorry, thought NTR owned Irish Broadband - that's good for me, then, because I like Irish Broadband!

In relation to the prices, what I'm wondering is where this 'administration fee' for the tags came from - how on earth was it agreed to?

Surely there is *less* administration with electronic tagging!

Having worked for Irish Broadband, yes NTR do or did own it, unless they sold it on. I'm not too sure....

Admin fee was agreed to because the government agreed to it!

I think this whole thing is a farce, and a money making scheme.

I'm off to spend my toll fees on a decent Sat Nav system so I can go round the toll instead, I'm not lining anyone else's pockets simply because I need to get from a to b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The M50 toll is unfair for users who live north of their workplace or south of their workplace for example and need to travel through it every working day.
    If the use of the M50 requires a toll, then why not have a system who scans the car as soon as you enter the m50 at all entrance points, and that scans lasts for 24 hours for instance.
    That is much fairer than at the moment and fairer than adding extra tax to fuel or road tax, as drivers in other counties may never use the M50.

What bothers me about this governent is that all their decisions seem to be Half Hearted, they never think things through properly.

A quick fix seems to be the way they operate, the tossers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I registered a couple of months ago and heard nothing.
    when are we supposed to receive the tags ?
    did anybody get theirs yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Pal wrote: »
    I registered a couple of months ago and heard nothing.
    when are we supposed to receive the tags ?
    did anybody get theirs yet ?

I registered with eflow last week, got confirmation letter 2 days later, but no sign of tag yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i now understand all foreign reg cars will have to pay toll i am also told that in ireland not paying toll is a criminal offence and the company running it can go over to the country of the reg to get the money well i have news for them in the uk it is only a civil offence and to get payment they will have to take it to the uk courts { think of the cost } and the damage that will do to the irish tourist board its a good talking point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I registered with eflow last week, got confirmation letter 2 days later, but no sign of tag yet.

Same here, but they said it would be out within the next 2-3 days.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

MYOB wrote: »
    Not correct, it has already been announced that the charges for non-Irish registered cars will be 'sold' to a debt collection agency. And he won't hit the M50 toll without using the barrier tolled Port Tunnel.

Would have thought that would be more hassle than its wort tbh.
    How many debt collecting agencies in different country's would want to chase up €2.

damo9090 wrote: »
    Would have thought that would be more hassle than its wort tbh.
    How many debt collecting agencies in different country's would want to chase up €2.

€146.

It will never happen. Just the status quo will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Specially adapted cars go free on barrier free M50-Carol checks out the new arrangements
    Barrier free tolling will be introduced for the M50 on 30th August 2008.

Vehicles registered as being specially adapted for a person with a disability, and thus incurring no vehicle registration tax, will not be charged for travelling through the barrier free tolling point. Drivers of vehicles which are registered as specially adapted do not have to take any action. Their number plate will be read as they drive across and, because it is registered on the vehicle registered database as specially adapted, no charge will be levied.

Drivers who have a disabled driver’s parking disc but who drive a car which has not been adapted will be charged as normal. They will need to register on www.eflow.ie before 30th August 2008 if they do not wish to incur higher than normal charges for crossing the barrier free toll area.

This information has been checked with Eflow customer service department, the National Roads Authority, the Vehicle Registration Unit and the Disabled Drivers Association on 28th July 2008. You can read further information on barrier free tolling on www.eflow.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

On the news tonight, the truckers spokesman was saying that truckers not going to pay the tolls, what would happen if everyone decided not to pay?

Would they have the manpower to ticket everyone?
    NTR seem awful anxious about the changeover, bless them.
    My guess is that this is going to be a fiasco to rival e-voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

spadder wrote: »
    what would happen if everyone decided not to pay?

If even a minority (who knows, perhaps 20% or 30%) would decide not to pay, the system would collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    If even a minority (who knows, perhaps 20% or 30%) would decide not to pay, the system would collapse.

This country needs more French truck drivers...:D

Advertisement