Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

the "intellgient stuff" is all software related that can be done on even a S2 with the right apps and some are carbon copies of Siri/google voice recognition.

The Camera features are again a carbon copy of One X that my device can do.

the only impressive feature is the wireless charging. other then that, this doesnt have any outstanding features both software and hardware that wipes the floor of the One X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Put the handbags down girls, Both Phones are the pinnicle of smartphones available today!

They are so similar spec wise you'd say the designers "cogged each other's homework"

I was a Samsung user who fell for the OneX and I dont regret it. If the SG3 was out first I would have bought that. Theres feck all between them bar looks, where the OneX is a clear winner. Thats about it.
    Probably SG3 on battery but we'll have to have a look at users impressions once they are in the wild.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys does anyone know if it's possible to get the volume button on a One X to act as the camera shutter button? I'm surprised more people have not copied that as its very handy on the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Think I'm going into Three in the next few days to pick one up, do not like the look of the S III.

Three don't have any annoying branding on the phone do they? Nothing that a root won't fix I'd hope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

the "intellgient stuff" is all software related that can be done on even a S2 with the right apps and some are carbon copies of Siri/google voice recognition.

the only impressive feature is the wireless charging. other then that, this doesnt have any outstanding features both software and hardware that wipes the floor of the One X

Better battery, expandable memory and the ability to swap out the battery are pretty handy advantages to have in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys does anyone know if it's possible to get the volume button on a One X to act as the camera shutter button? I'm surprised more people have not copied that as its very handy on the iPhone.

I had that on my desire, think it was configurable as part of cyanogenmod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

omega666 wrote: »

Better battery, expandable memory and the ability to swap out the battery are pretty handy advantages to have in fairness.

And according to this news gs3 is much faster.
    Is gs3 not smaller but with the same screen size? That would be a benefit too.

http://tpt.to/a2sQDHK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you read the source links on anantech it's faster than the one one x in some benchmarks yes, but in others its slower than the one s, so it all depends what benchmark you're looking at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

we'll see if the battery life is better :)

For me it wouild be nice to have a 1tb storage on a mobile phone but so far 32gb has been more then enough for music and apps. i dont really carry around HD movies or huge files on my mobile phones so the One X storage will do me fine.

I have also never swapped bateries on any phones i have had. this is useful for people who do of course but i am just saying that for me, i never swapped batteries before/carry extra batteries with me.

i had a htc desire previously and that had expandable memory and batteries yet i always used stock battery and only had 8gb SD card :)

i am not bashing the G3. it is a god phone but i am just saying that it is not leaps and bounds better then the one x. infact its a tie. you cant go wrong with either devices but i just dont see many if any One X users regretting there purchase over the G3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

im glad i diddnt wait for the S3. what a anti climax

Very true!! Not much better than the Galaxy Nexus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

i am not bashing the G3. it is a god phone but i am just saying that it is not leaps and bounds better then the one x. infact its a tie. you cant go wrong with either devices but i just dont see many if any One X users regretting there purchase over the G3.

The S3 looks like a tarted up galaxy nexus. I don't really like the build quality of the Samsungs either, they look and feel cheap.

Will be interesting to see some proper comparisons of the 2 in the wild.

All in all I'm happy with the one x and don't regret it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I agree with sd card and battery. I have never changed the battery and existing on board storage is good enough - I need about 32gb.

In terms of quality, comments about samsung gs2 or gs3 are alot ot boolsh!t tbh. "feel cheap" what does it mean? you make comment by looking at it without actually playing with it at all?
    I had:
    desire - went to UK for two repairs, first issue with black spec/spot (not dead pixel) second issue was related to plenty of dust under the screen and bad fitting.
    Desire HD - very flimsy build and phone gave me strange noises while operating
    Sensation -again...plenty of dust!!! this was crazy for 500euro phone. that was third and last chance for HTC. Issue with strange noises, bad fittings, phones would freeze or reboot the home screen due to low memory.

I liked the weight of htc phones but fittings drove me crazy as during texting i could hear like phone's body "works" giving noises.

I didnt play with X one and gs3 but these general comment about plastic vs metal / ceramic are just waste of time. Especially when you havent played with it.

I made a tough decision and left htc and got galaxy note.And now I am sure that next phone will be samsung. It doesnt give me any problems and built is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

iwo wrote: »
    I had:
    desire - went to UK for two repairs, first issue with black spec/spot (not dead pixel) second issue was related to plenty of dust under the screen and bad fitting.
    Sensation -again...plenty of dust!!! this was crazy for 500euro phone. that was third and last chance for HTC. Issue with strange noises, bad fittings, phones would freeze or reboot the home screen due to low memory.

I liked the weight of htc phones but fittings drove me crazy as during texting i could hear like phone's body "works" giving noises.
    everyone has different experiences, it sounds like you had a lot of bad luck with your htc phones.

my wife has the desire and i have the desire hd and neither of us have had any of the issues you are describing (in almost 18 months of having them) and i've found the build quality to be very good on both phones.

i'm really looking forward to getting my one x (and the one s for the wife) in a couple of weeks when we can get an upgrade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

iwo wrote: »
    I agree with sd card and battery. I have never changed the battery and existing on board storage is good enough - I need about 32gb.

In terms of quality, comments about samsung gs2 or gs3 are alot ot boolsh!t tbh. "feel cheap" what does it mean? you make comment by looking at it without actually playing with it at all?
    I had:

I didnt play with X one and gs3 but these general comment about plastic vs metal / ceramic are just waste of time. Especially when you havent played with it.

I made a tough decision and left htc and got galaxy note.And now I am sure that next phone will be samsung. It doesnt give me any problems and built is very good.

I've just upgraded from the desire to the one x. I found the desire to be a fantastic phone. I thought the build quality to be excellent too.

While you are right in saying I haven't held an s3 in my hand yet, I have with the galaxy nexus and the s2 and they feel really flimsy. I thought my mate was going to snap the wafer thin back of his s2 just to reseat the battery. When holding the s2 in my hand, if I squeezed my hand at all it felt like it was creaking and going to fall apart.
    I didn't like the feel of the galaxy nexus any better. They feel like toys and I really don't think that they are put together well. Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Black or White guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Black or White guys?
    Get the white. The grey looks... grey :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Get the white. The grey looks... grey :P

Oops, I thought it was black.

I've heard reports that the grey gets scuffed easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think white looks much better, unfortunately I have to settle for grey as its all 02 have :(

I've had a desire and a sensation I fancy a change

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Zascar wrote: »
    I think white looks much better, unfortunately I have to settle for grey as its all 02 have :(

I've had a desire and a sensation I fancy a change
    You could try Carphone Warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Went with the grey (easier to hide the dirt). Im surprised the manufacturers don't make a better effort to protect the camera lens, I know I must get a cover for it anyway but it wouldn't hurt to have a small lens cover.
    Also being my first proper android phone I'm surprised how thin it is, it is going to be interesting reaching for it in the morning to disable the alarm, while my motor functions haven't quite woken yet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Purchased mine from CPW and it is clean of all branding, though I could not say if they are all like this.

Thanks MoodeRator. This was a 3 contract phone, yeah? Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The grey is awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The matt finish on the back of the grey looks great, especially compared to the shiny HTC on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

For anyone who has the one s, how are you finding it? If youve the black version have you noticed any chipping?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

manu2009 wrote: »
    For anyone who has the one s, how are you finding it? If youve the black version have you noticed any chipping?

Thanks
    I really like it.
    No issues with performance and the little use that the camera has gotten it's provided excellent results.
    I've the gradient anodised one as opposed to the ceramic black and it's perfect still. The thinness of it still amazes me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

dahamsta wrote: »
    MoodeRator wrote: »
    Purchased mine from CPW and it is clean of all branding, though I could not say if they are all like this.

Thanks MoodeRator. This was a 3 contract phone, yeah? Anyone else?

I was in cpw today and the sales girl told me all the phones are unbranded and unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I was in cpw today and the sales girl told me all the phones are unbranded and unlocked

This interests me greatly, but wouldn't take her word for it. Might call into CPW on way home, I'll see what I'm told out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭allen175

flugel wrote: »
    This interests me greatly, but wouldn't take her word for it. Might call into CPW on way home, I'll see what I'm told out of interest

I bought mine out of CPW last week and its unbranded and unlocked. I think its easier for them to get in unlocked ones and then sell them on any network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

One of my pet hates regarding my HTC Desire is that if you drop it - it falls to pieces and you have to reassemble it and reboot. The S3 with the removable battery and snap off cover will have the same flaw. Therefore I would consider the OneX's unibody design and non-removable battery to be superior......although my ultimate evaluation of this will depend on the real world battery life of the S3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

One of my pet hates regarding my HTC Desire is that if you drop it - it falls to pieces and you have to reassemble it and reboot. The S3 with the removable battery and snap off cover will have the same flaw. Therefore I would consider the OneX's unibody design and non-removable battery to be superior......although my ultimate evaluation of this will depend on the real world battery life of the S3
    Bear in mind, that BY the back cover coming off if dropped, some of the force of the phone hitting the ground is dissipated. By the phone being rigid, all of the force of the fall is absorbed by the phone which is surely worse for the phone in the long run?

Put simply, I'd be far more worried about an iphone 4 hitting the ground than my galaxy s, which i know for fact will survive, sesing as it has many of times :)

Advertisement