Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market

• 27-08-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

Was lovely this morning. Sun shining, Jazz band playing, lots of people milling around. Apart from 2 things

Who are the chancers selling stodgy pork wraps and baps for 6 Euro each?

Who does Mari think she is (of Maris cheese and coffee) - she has coffee advertised at 1 Euro, but was charging 1.50 'because of the music'. Illegal?

If people are going to take the piss they are going to ruin one of the really good things Limerick has going on. Please do not support them

Its doing a disservice to all the good traders in there that provide good produce and value

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dont get down over working but id wish they would run the market later till at least 6 alot of people would get in later

Whats the story with the outside traders now?Are they gone?

I was against tacky stalls but ity kinda adds to the market too,im on the fence on it but hated the tacky stalls at the French market

I think the Market is trying to be a "Foodie haven" i read some where so guess prices will be dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Would the chancers you speak of be Country Choice? The guys that actually have their shop in the shop unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

D1stant wrote: »
    Was lovely this morning. Sun shining, Jazz band playing, lots of people milling around. Apart from 2 things

Who are the chancers selling stodgy pork wraps and baps for 6 Euro each?

Who does Mari think she is (of Maris cheese and coffee) - she has coffee advertised at 1 Euro, but was charging 1.50 'because of the music'. Illegal?

If people are going to take the piss they are going to ruin one of the really good things Limerick has going on. Please do not support them

Its doing a disservice to all the good traders in there that provide good produce and value

Were the pork baps from the Pig on the Spit?
    They might be a bit pricey at €6 but you usually can't fault the quality. They sell out most saturday mornings so they must be doing something right. If they weren't then there's plenty of other stalls for people to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭badboyblast

6 Euros is a lot and it ain`t that nice either, the guys doing the indian food are good if you take it away but the little tiny plates they give people to eat there is crazy expensive and you would have it gone in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

€1.50 being charged when the sign says €1 is a bit strange alright, but in fairness, what would you pay for a coffee in a restaurant/bar/café these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That pork is bloody delicious.... wrap with with a bit of stuffing and apple sauce, it's delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Mr E wrote: »
    That pork is bloody delicious.... wrap with with a bit of stuffing and apple sauce, it's delish.

Well its not my taste - but thats not the issue really. These guys have next to zero overhead and they are overcharging. I would guess they'd still make a good profit at 1/2 or 1/3 of the price. If people want to pay that - fine. But they should really hand out 'Sucker' badges with them. (they would probably charge for them too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well its not my taste - but thats not the issue really. These guys have next to zero overhead and they are overcharging. I would guess they'd still make a good profit at 1/2 or 1/3 of the price. If people want to pay that - fine. But they should really hand out 'Sucker' badges with them. (they would probably charge for them too)

Are they really overcharging if people are willing to pay it? I wouldn't pay that price but maybe I undervalue it?

Mr E wrote: »

So you had a product, that sold out every week, you would lower the price of it? Excuse the pun but the Market dictates the price. If they were left with half a pig every week then the would change their pricing structure but the way it is selling at the moment why would they?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean hundreds of others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have a pork wrap about once every 2 months when I go to the market. I'm willing to pay €6 once every 2 months. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I love the Market but two things that I don't like are as follows:

1: The prices. I rarely buy anything more than a coffee down there. It is just too expensive.

2: I know there isn't a whole lot that can be done about this but lately the place is just swarming with wasps. Now one thing that the traders could do is cover their food. I saw numerous food stalls where the wasps were crawling all over the food and the traders didn't bat an eyelid. Gross. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

They wouldnt really eat that much so not point spending all their time shooing them away

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

How have they zero overheads? If it's the corner shop as was suggested in an earlier post, they have a huge number of staff, they run a shop as opposed to a stand so I assume they're paying a rent/lease on it, they have to purchase their produce and afaik, they use quality irish organic produce for most of their products.

On a side note: If you like black pudding, try the one from the Country Choice shop in the market, it's in the fridge and cubed shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero overheads ? Bar buying the pig, the baps, the stuffing, the apple sauce, the cooker, the fuel to cook the pig, paying for the stall, 2 days wages etc.

Zero overheads ? Bar buying the pig, the baps, the stuffing, the apple sauce, the cooker, the fuel to cook the pig, paying for the stall, 2 days wages etc.

Firstly I didnt say zero. Secondly....Erm the components above are kind of a given if you want to sell pork sandwidges....

But much much less overheads than a restuarant - no rent, lighting, heating, washing up, kitchen, waiting staff, etc

Anyway I dont want to get into an argument aboiut it. Its a rip off. If you think its value thats fine. But just because hundreds of people do pay does not mean its worth it. (Think 2006 houses)

And of course people will defend those disingenious 'traders'

I for one will spread the word. I want to see good produce and good value. Thats the only foundation for the market being a success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Pitch prices at the Milk Market are €70 on Saturday and Sundays, plus the expense of what is quoted above.

http://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/default/assets/File/The_Milk_Market_-_Trader_Daily_Pitch_and_Stall_Rental_Fees(1).pdf

€6 for a pork roll as a treat is not too bad in my opinion.

My ex used to run stalls at farmers markets and if people saw the amount of work she used to put into preparing food (up at 4am on market days) and the prices of the raw ingredients (sea food and organic veg mainly), I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge paying a small bit extra!!

The Milk Market is one of Limericks best assets imo!!

The Milk Market is one of Limericks best assets imo!!

I agree.

So my guesses

Stall = 70
    Pig = 200?
    Apple Sauce = 15
    Stuffing = 20
    Cooker Fuel = 40
    Baps / Wraps = 20c per

41 sandwidges = break even, no wages

How many portions from a pig?

100 = 334 wages / profit
    200 = 914
    300 = 1494
    400 = 2074

So lets say its 200. Thats 914E for the lads. Very nice for basically unskilled labour - all paid for by the muppets that think its delish and well worth it.. Take a bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

im really sorry but my god D1stant you need to smoke more weed and relax

I agree.

So my guesses

Stall = 70
    Pig = 200?
    Apple Sauce = 15
    Stuffing = 20
    Cooker Fuel = 40
    Baps / Wraps = 20c per

100 = 334 wages / profit
    200 = 914
    300 = 1494
    400 = 2074

So lets say its 200. Thats 914E for the lads. Very nice for basically unskilled labour - all paid for by the muppets that think its delish and well worth it.. Take a bow

A pig is much dearer than that, plus you would only get about 150/180 servings off it. They probably make a profit of 250/300 of a saturday.

Why is the cost of the pork baps of such concern to you?
    Do you think people are being fooled into buying them?
    Do you think we are caught in a pork bubble and it's going to burst, leaving hundreds of people porkless?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    A pig is much dearer than that, plus you would only get about 150/180 servings off it. They probably make a profit of 250/300 of a saturday.

You know this or you feel this?

:)

Why is the cost of the pork baps of such concern to you?

Hey the price of Baps and Pigs and all the other stuff is of no concern at all. Someone else mentioned Baps as an 'overhead' - I just hate being ripped off

Do you think people are being fooled into buying them?

Yes. They have no prices displayed

Do you think we are caught in a pork bubble and it's going to burst, leaving hundreds of people porkless?

I do yeah. Tis terrible :confused:

• Advertisement

Jagle wrote: »

I've run out. PM me immediatley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Went down there today to see all that was offered as per the web-site. It said 11 oo to 16 oo. Now we were there at just gone 1pm. There was feck all to see.. :eek: ..... Most disappointing and such a let down.....false advertising at it's best, especially when people would/may/could bring visitors with them to see it.

:mad:

I agree.

So my guesses

Stall = 70
    Pig = 200?
    Apple Sauce = 15
    Stuffing = 20
    Cooker Fuel = 40
    Baps / Wraps = 20c per

100 = 334 wages / profit
    200 = 914
    300 = 1494
    400 = 2074

What are your guesses based on?

Guesses arent based on anything. Kind of by definition

Exactly, in other words, you're making stuff up. Let's face it, you don't even know how much a pig costs but you still think you've an insight into their overheads. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Firstly I didnt say zero. Secondly....Erm the components above are kind of a given if you want to sell pork sandwidges....

But much much less overheads than a restuarant - no rent, lighting, heating, washing up, kitchen, waiting staff, etc
    Anyway I dont want to get into an argument aboiut it. Its a rip off. If you think its value thats fine. But just because hundreds of people do pay does not mean its worth it. (Think 2006 houses)

And of course people will defend those disingenious 'traders'

I for one will spread the word. I want to see good produce and good value. Thats the only foundation for the market being a success

When you're in a hole stop digging.

Well there are educated and uneducated guesses. I suppose we'll just file yours under uneducated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Jagle wrote: »

I think D1stant needs to smoke less in fairness... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

RonMexico wrote: »
    I think D1stant needs to smoke less in fairness... :D

are you mad? no way if he was gee'eyed would he be able to write such a terrible thread, he would think about it, plan it all out and then forget about it and go make a cup of tea, FACT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm not going to pretend for a moment I know what overheads a guy with a roasting pig has compared to a guy in a restaurant with an oven has but I WILL SAY I think €6 for a bap is wayyyy to much money.

I'm a miser but that's just me. :D

Advertisement