Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arup Graduate

• 27-05-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just got called to an interview for a graduate position with Arup (Highways section). Anyone have any experience of interview with them or any advice?

Cheers

Cherrytaz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Warchild aka Lupton_Pittman

Are you just showing off? Only the Elite of the best of the Elite of the Elite are chosen...as Ben Elton would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Much of an attitude problem Warchild?

Cherrytaz: I know somebody working in that section, I'll try get the skinny for ya, whens the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Cheers

Its Tuesday morning at 9..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

were there any points in the job advert that related to what you would be doing?

i.e. must have a good grasp of xyz

if so look over xyz

also if you have any projects or points on your c.v. look over those.

so if you say you have a good grasp of something be able to show it in the interview

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

i was a graduate in Arup's Highway section, 10 yrs ago though

pretty relaxed interview at the time, have you been able to pick up relevant work experience during university? Definitly have a few question lined up.

Do you actually want to be in the highways group as many want to get into structures division in my experience

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies.

Well I worked in an engineering consultancy for a Summer and am about to complete a Masters in Transport with both of my dissertations having been based on transport projects (with my undergrad one been particularly relevant to this job)

Yes I want to work in the highways section (not into my structures).

I will conjure up a few questions and know my CV inside out.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Warchild aka Lupton_Pittman

Gileadi wrote: »
    Much of an attitude problem Warchild?

Jeez Louise, somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning...
    Keep your panties on, sweetheart, it was just a joke. Everybody knows they're the Engineering equivalent of the SAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

As with any job interview if you know a bit about the company and the kind of work they do it reflects well on the applicant. You will be asked the question “Do you know what type of work we do?”
    With Arup Highways section there are three main types of work they do.
    Employer Representative - Where the work directly for a Local Authority, produce preliminary designs and the Environmental Statement and then monitor the Contractor who is selected to carry out the construction. Two of the biggest examples that Arup were involved with in recent years was the M50 Widening contract (between Ballymount junction to n4 Lucan) and the M7/M8 in Laois.
    D&B contracts – These are contracts where Arup are working for the Contractor and designing the scheme that is being built – recent examples are Longford Bypass (I think).
    Consultancy work – Arup recently won the contract to update the design standard that govern road design – The Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) – this would be a good thing to mention at the interview.
    Arup are also getting more involved in doing work abroad – they’ve no choice really as there’s no so much work in Ireland – they’ve recently sent a team of people to Toronto for 6 months and are involved in work in Eastern Europe tjough I’m not sure of the exact details.
    Another point of interest is the decision to operationally merge Arup Ireland with Arup Group Worldwide – not sure exactly what that will mean but if you can demonstrate that you aware of stuff like this it will do no harm to your chances.
    Best of luck with the interview.
    Drop me a pm is you have any specific questions.

black francis, thanks for that. That's exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. Very helpful

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Warchild aka Lupton_Pittman banned for a week

• Advertisement

they are also Employer's Rep for the N4 The Downs Grade Separated Junction which is currently at Tender Stage

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056158137

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Hey cherrytaz is it for a position in Ireland or the UK, if its the UK I've a bit of experience with their interviews and can pm

ddubs wrote: »
    Hey cherrytaz is it for a position in Ireland or the UK, if its the UK I've a bit of experience with their interviews and can pm
    Hi there,

Its for Ireland but any advice would be great.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ALOSAM

Hi all!

I also got an interview for a graduate position with Arup, but in Acoustics.

Cherrytaz,
    Did you have the interview already? If so hope it went very well! Could you tell me about it?

ddubs,
    My interview is for Arup in the UK...any advice would be appreciate!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chuckfest

Hi people,

Just found out i have an interview on wednesday for a graduate position in the building services sector. Anybody in this area or had any dealings with Arup before? Any advice would be much appreciated too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

I know i'm kinda hijacking the thread a little bit, but I was just wondering what is the best way to find out and hear about these graduate opportunities, is it through the college, grad ireland or other sites? Cheers

Just thought I'd update the thread and I am delighted to say I got the job and start in September. A long hard slog but finally got a Civil Eng job in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Well done, that's a fantastic company to get in with. I have to say though, they are taking the piss with the salary (from what I know).

Thanks guys
    Well done, that's a fantastic company to get in with. I have to say though, they are taking the piss with the salary (from what I know).

Yes the salary is pretty dismal but as you say it's such a good company to get in with that i'm not too fussed about it. Just great to not have to emigrate come September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Well done lad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

fair play.

while it would be great to be on a high starting salary, as long as you are getting good experience and are learning alot that's more important. for your first job anyway.

in a few years with a bigger skill set you will be able to push for a bigger pay packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Hats off!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fappington08

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Thanks guys

Yes the salary is pretty dismal but as you say it's such a good company to get in with that i'm not too fussed about it. Just great to not have to emigrate come September

What is the starting salary if you dont mind me asking? I worked my placement with them in the roads dept a couple of years back and i know at that time the grads were on about 28k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 clarkej5

Hi Cherrytaz,

I was one of the other interviewees!! Congrats to you anyway!!! I've been told I've been shortlisted for a position by the group in autumn, but only if the work materialises. Do you know if work for the group has increased at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

They have just recently joined the global Arup Group so I imagine they'll be able to pull in more international work.

yeah, they have got a bonus this year, as other markets are booming, particularily australia and asia, a portion of their roads department staff are working in canada on projects over there, which would be pretty sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 26 clarkej5

That's fab news anyway. There is a glimmer of hope for my graduate position

As above. I don't start for another few weeks but the majority of work seems to be design for projects abroad which sounds great. I've heard they have taken on another graduate in geotechnics but not sure how many were taken on in Highways. If things get busy i'm sure I'll be seeeing you down on Ringsend Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Congrats cherrytaz, I used to work with Arup and they are a great bunch of people. You'll enjoy working with them. I'd go back in a second if it was possible.

Advertisement