Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a chartered engineer

Options
  • 10-12-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

This might seem like a stupid question but do you need to be a member of Engineers Ireland before applying for chartership?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think you need to be an Ordinary Member (MIEI) before you can go on to be a Chartered Member (CEng MIEI).

Check out Engineers Ireland site for more

You can apply for Chartership through other bodies, but for Engineers Ireland yeah you need to be a member.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do you have to be a member for a minimum amount of time now before you can apply?

godtabh wrote: »
    Do you have to be a member for a minimum amount of time now before you can apply?

I dont think so.
    But you can't apply for CEng until you have 4 years experience after gaining the required educational quals.

The question should be - "is it worth the fuss?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The question should be - "is it worth the fuss?"

Depends

• Advertisement

The CEng title has no legal standing as far as I know.

It is certainly not like a US Professional Engineer (PE) who is licensed by the government.

A solicitor, auctioneer or doctor are examples of professions that are licensed in ROI.

An Engineer is not licensed (anyone can call themselves an engineer)

I am a Chartered Engineer and I feel that being chartered has little monetary value.

I believe a good Masters degree or a PhD would be looked on more highly.

The CEng title has no legal standing as far as I know.

It is certainly not like a US Professional Engineer (PE) who is licensed by the government.

A solicitor, auctioneer or doctor are examples of professions that are licensed in ROI.

An Engineer is not licensed (anyone can call themselves an engineer)

Do some research before posting stuff as fact. CEng has legal standing.

Reserved functions in Civil Sector largely:

Local Government (Multi-Storey Buildings) Act 1988
    Child-care Regulations (S.I. Nos. 397/1996, 398/1996, 259/1995, 550/2004)
    Nursing Homes Regulations (S.I. Nos. 226/1993, 379/1993)

Do some research before posting stuff as fact. CEng has legal standing.

Reserved functions in Civil Sector largely:

Local Government (Multi-Storey Buildings) Act 1988
    Child-care Regulations (S.I. Nos. 397/1996, 398/1996, 259/1995, 550/2004)
    Nursing Homes Regulations (S.I. Nos. 226/1993, 379/1993)

Thanks for posting the above.

However, it's not as if you must legally be a CEng to be a consulting Engineer, was my point.

This should be changed.

To get PI I'm nearly 100% sure you have to be a chartered engineer. If you are a consultant without PI you are an idiot!

• Advertisement

I know plenty of consultants with just BE MIEI.

It should be a legal requirement to be Chartered before you can become a consultant but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

To get PI I'm nearly 100% sure you have to be a chartered engineer. If you are a consultant without PI you are an idiot!

You can get PI without being chartered, but are restricted to certain types of structures. There is a building size limit and some other rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm a civil engineer with PI insurance for my own business for 10 years or so.
    I'm not chartered but with the new building control regs from march, being chartered would be very useful as persons who can sign certificates are being severely limited.

It must have been to do with what i was trying to get PI for. Got refused because I wasn't chartered

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JPW81

The new Building Control Regulations that are coming into force in March 2014 mean that if you are not a Chartered Engineer (CEng MIEI) then you will no longer be in a position to sign Certificates of Compliance. Some smaller Consulting Engineers/Companies with only a BEng MIEI may very quickly find that a large proportion of their current workload will no longer be available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Engineers Ireland have changed the requirements on becoming a chartered engineer. You now have to have a masters plus 4 years experience before you can apply to become chartered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Engineers Ireland have changed the requirements on becoming a chartered engineer. You now have to have a masters plus 4 years experience before you can apply to become chartered.

keep in mind this is for new graduates
    If you qualified in 2012 or before from an accredited bachelor of engineering (honours) programme you have met the educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer. In September 2012 a decision was taken by Engineers Ireland Council to allow those who graduated from an accredited bachelor (honours) degree prior to 2013 to apply for the title of Chartered Engineer without further learning until 2020. After that all those holding an accredited bachelor (honours) degree, regardless of their graduation date, will be required to provide evidence of further learning, such as an accredited master's degree.

I work in an engineering consulatancy mainly dealing in mechanical engineering and chartership is seen as a professional mark which can advance your career and allows the company to charge more for your services (thereby paying you more too).

thereby paying you more too.

Yeah right! There is a massive massive difference between what you earn and your charge rate

That's only for new graduates. People who have graduated already (up to 2011 or some year - on phone so can't check the regulations) are fine for the next few years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yeah right! There is a massive massive difference between what you earn and your charge rate

I never said there wasn't. But if you're charging more you earn more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

JPW81 wrote: »
    The new Building Control Regulations that are coming into force in March 2014 mean that if you are not a Chartered Engineer (CEng MIEI) then you will no longer be in a position to sign Certificates of Compliance. Some smaller Consulting Engineers/Companies with only a BEng MIEI may very quickly find that a large proportion of their current workload will no longer be available to them.

If someone has a company and has lasted through the recession, it would be fair to say that they are more than competent in their profession. I don't think the Chartership process would be much of a struggle for a design engineer with 10+ years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

Hi, I am thinking about applying to become chartered in the next while, I was talking to EI and I need to get my CPD hours up first, so it will be next year before I apply. But besides that I see the criterion 1 Design........ that may be a slight problem for me as I am a site based engineer with a civil company. Is there a way around this or anyone else in the same position?

Also thinking about doing courses to improve my further learning besides CPD, has anyone done this?

Any advice / opinions would be great.

Advertisement