Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reserve Defence Forces - Still recruiting?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

hav da forms done about a month dey were hopeful of january but hard to know!! hoping really to join the pdf as an army recruit nut theres no enlistment comps at the mo so it wud be a start at least!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

When recruitment re-starts, i get the feeling that due to possibly newer entry requirements and the new structure / fresh start etc, that they will take in completely new applicants and anyone on the so called panel will just have to re-apply. Saying that i would imagine it will be a LOT quicker than it has been over last couple years to get sworn in and training.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Morpheus wrote: »
    When recruitment re-starts, i get the feeling that due to possibly newer entry requirements and the new structure / fresh start etc, that they will take in completely new applicants and anyone on the so called panel will just have to re-apply. Saying that i would imagine it will be a LOT quicker than it has been over last couple years to get sworn in and training.

Yeah over the last few years battalions didn't know where they stood when it came to recruitment and had to have any recruitment sanctioned by brigade HQ, which meant some people were waiting 2+ years to complete recruit training which was ridiculous.

At least now the government have set out exactly what the strength of the RDF must be which should mean recruitment being carried out at more regular intervals, and whenever recruitment does restart there'll be none of the carry-on over the last couple of years where new recruits were enlisted and then told they weren't being taken on, then called back etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Morpheus wrote: »

Bear in mind that if you applied in the last couple of years then the unit you applied to will cease to exist and in many cases the cadre (army admin) staff will be redeployed. There may not be a policy of requiring completely new applications but its the kind of situation where the existing files can get overlooked or relocated somewhere where no-one can find them.

Despite the oversupply of higher ranks within the re-organised RDF, there is still a shortage on paper of private soldiers. There will need to be recruitment and likely man-days (money) will be allocated for recruit training. So if you are interested in joining it is worthwhile making regular enquiries to your local barracks and making sure you have any paperwork you need ready to go.

Advertisement