Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Warning Letter

• 20-10-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi everybody just wondering if anyone has gotten a letter from eircom saying that they have found that you were downloading music on such a date?. they then reccommend that you run software to get rid of any potential illegal software/music. or has anyone got banned from eircom and gotten 3 strikes? i havent found any reports of anyone haveing their broadband disconnected, maybe im wrong?

pctech

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

pctech wrote: »
    hi everybody just wondering if anyone has gotten a letter from eircom saying that they have found that you were downloading music on such a date?. they then reccommend that you run software to get rid of any potential illegal software/music. or has anyone got banned from eircom and gotten 3 strikes? i havent found any reports of anyone haveing their broadband disconnected, maybe im wrong?

pctech

Stop using peer 2 peer (Torrents, Limewire etc.) software or even better switch to another provider ;) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

If anyone had received a letter i'm sure someone would have mentioned it on here by now.

If you're concerned about your privacy download PeerBlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Simi wrote: »
    If anyone had received a letter i'm sure someone would have mentioned it on here by now.

It has been mentioned on numerous occasions. Many people have received such letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

Really? I hadn't noticed. Weird.

Ok then OP try PeerBlock and if you get another letter switch ISP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Simi wrote: »

If you're concerned about your privacy download PeerBlock.

Plenty have received one, my cousin did, for downloading a Michael Jackson song off Limewire :P

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

As previous poster suggested. Change providers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Change ISP. UPC, for all their faults, did not capitulate to the vested interests in the same way that Eircom did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm new to Ireland; is it legal to download material that is copy written in another country?

I hope that's not a silly question; I just really don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nope, not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Does anyone here know if the whole eircom monitoring business and sending out letters, refers specifically to P2P music file sharing?

asking because, when im home here in my ma's , ISP is Eircom, I don't use torrents for downloading any music just in case. I was stuck for a few tracks and downloaded them from a youtube video converter thing, does this kind of thing fall under what eircom will send out letters for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Yep,
    I've received one letter from Eircom; technically they warn you for uploading of copyrighted material.

As I understand there's a 3 strikes system. I've changed settings because I was never uploading intentionally in the first place. Hopefully this means no more letters, but if i get another one i'll just be moving to UPC.
    I'm planning on moving anyway, but just being lazy about it. If Eircom go warning me again, they're just telling me to get BB with somebody else.

Advertisement