Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Short Man Syndrome.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

This thread makes for depressing reading (especially if you're shorter than average, like myself - although some responses would suggest I'm just about average). What's really strange is that I don't get it. I'm a very, very laid back kind of guy and have a couple of friends who are around the same height as me and they are all very relaxed people (some excessively so). The same goes for smaller people that I've worked with in the past. Any of the very tall guys that I hang around with tend to be the ones who would get in fights or be aggressive after a couple of pints. But I wouldn't think that this applies to all tall guys. You meet one small guy at a meeting in work, maybe you have an inferiority complex, and suddenly all small guys are dicks. I'm not even sure the OP sees the irony.

And that's forgetting the fact that Napoleon - apparently the genesis of the short-man-syndrome - was actually average height. It was just the soldiers in that painting (who were probably pretty aggressive) were so tall.

If we took everything to heart on the web it would drive us mad. Seriously, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

This thread makes for depressing reading (especially if you're shorter than average, like myself - although some responses would suggest I'm just about average). What's really strange is that I don't get it. I'm a very, very laid back kind of guy and have a couple of friends who are around the same height as me and they are all very relaxed people (some excessively so). The same goes for smaller people that I've worked with in the past. Any of the very tall guys that I hang around with tend to be the ones who would get in fights or be aggressive after a couple of pints. But I wouldn't think that this applies to all tall guys. You meet one small guy at a meeting in work, maybe you have an inferiority complex, and suddenly all small guys are dicks. I'm not even sure the OP sees the irony.

And that's forgetting the fact that Napoleon - apparently the genesis of the short-man-syndrome - was actually average height. It was just the soldiers in that painting (who were probably pretty aggressive) were so tall.

Don't worry, the thread was just started by someone with a bin-laden complex who read somewhere that taller people should be paid more by virtue of their being taller, and was butthurt to be subject to a counter-example.

Although I must say I lol'd when I saw Robert De Niro being described as a "short-arse".

Forgot to unfollow this thread. Just about to solve that one and leave all the small dicked people and the bitter women who married a small dicked man, behind:D

Venomous spite aside, this post is a masterclass in the nescient use of passive-aggressive smilies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

If we took everything to heart on the web it would drive us mad. Seriously, don't worry.

There must be a lot of mad people on boards then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Dude, there is not one scintilla of evidence that there is a correlation between height and being an asshole.

I know. That was the point of my post.

Yeah, I agree. I don't really 'take it to heart' as in it doesn't make me angry or whatever. It's just a little bit depressing that people can reach their 20s and still think along these lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Oh, people reach their 40s and still think in a stupid way - pay no heed!

It's certainly not the people of smaller stature who are coming across the worst in this thread. :)

(I'm just under 5ft 5" btw and I can't understand people going on about 5ft 7/8 as being tiny for a man - seems average height to me). I think "Small man syndrome" is one of those buzz phrases that people are at pains to believe, due to knowing one or two men who are small in stature and are arses (as if the same people don't know one or two tall men who are arses). I had a boss once all right who was small and a dick. People would go on about it being because of his small stature, which I found kinda strange. To me, he was just an asshole; height irrelevant. I have a manager now who is a very short man and a lovely person, as well as knowing numerous other small guys who are top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Magaggie wrote: »

It's certainly not the people of smaller stature who are coming across the worst in this thread. :)

(I'm just under 5ft 5" btw and I can't understand people going on about 5ft 7/8 as being tiny for a man - seems average height to me). I think "Small man syndrome" is one of those buzz phrases that people are at pains to believe, due to knowing one or two men who are small in stature and are arses (as if the same people don't know one or two tall men who are arses). I had a boss once all right who was small and a dick. People would go on about it being because of his small stature, which I found kinda strange. To me, he was just an asshole; height irrelevant. I have a manager now who is a very short man and a lovely person, as well as knowing numerous other small guys who are top notch.

People are weird, aren't they? It's not enough that someone is an asshole, they have to throw an appearance-based description at them too - short, fat, bald etc. When, as we all know, the only adjective that can hit any insult home is "thunderin'".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Average height Irish male 5 ft 10 in

Average height Irish female 5 ft 4½ in

I'm very surprised by that. I would have guessed 5ft 8 in for women.

I come from a tallish family though, 2 x 6ft 1in (incl me), 1 x 6ft 4in, 1 x 5ft 11 and 1 x 5ft 09 (female).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Average height Irish male 5 ft 10 in

Avergae height Irish female 5 ft 4½ in

I'm very surprised by that. I would have guessed 5ft 8 in for women.

I come from a tallish family though, 2 x 6ft 1in (incl me), 1 x 6ft 4in, 1 x 5ft 11 and 1 x 5ft 10 (female).
    I'm shorter than the average, I wonder do I have short woman syndrome? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I'm shorter than the average, I wonder do I have short woman syndrome? :eek:

I've put you on a pedestal. A 6" one. So how do you feel now?
    And remember ........ men who put women on pedestals rarely knock them off!

• Advertisement

Magaggie wrote: »

It's ironic as the people who bang on about short man syndrome are the ones who tend to have chips on their shoulders. They're the ones who believe they are better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sciprio wrote: »
    I'm 5'7 or 5'8. Does that make me a lost cause? :(

I bet you're 5'6. A mate of mine always says he's 5'4" or 5'5". You don't vary an inch from day to day. So yes you're a lost cause. We all have our problems, I'm 60% - 70% bald for example - BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE ME AN ASSHOLE, RIGHT????? ASSHOLES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Definitely is true that that guy attacking the bouncers at a nightclub or trying to start a fight with random strangers is nearly always a short arse. Goes for dogs too - small dogs especially Jack Russells are mostly real asshole dogs. Sweeping generalisation over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Everybody knows short guys with short man syndrome, mad that theres 15 pages of discussion on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Fudge You wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being taller than a man?

I wouldn't be keen on being taller than a fella I was seeing, personally. Don't know why, but there you go. Call it preference. I'm only 5' 4" so it's never been an issue though.

On the other end of the scale, ~6' 3" would be my upper limit. I have no problem with shorter than average men, and being tall doesn't automatically mean a guy will have a bigger dick.

Hey, I'm just being honest.

The defence of mouth-breathers everywhere.

[Insert hateful comment here] swiftly followed by squawking "I'm just being honest". Hello, Jeremy Kyle Show.

Candie wrote: »
    Obviously the post lacked the requisite number of smilies for you to realise it was tongue in cheek, so here's some to make up. :):D:);)

I usually pick up on tongue-in-cheek, but yours didn't read that way. Sorry. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a fat, black arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly invisible if he was standing in front of a pile of coal. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of black men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than white men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Malcom X Complex over the years. Does being darker than the ace of spades do something to the personality of black men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because white people tend to get paid more?

Shocking No? If someone wrote the above OP they'd, at a minimum get a tirade of abuse, and most likely the thread would be locked and they'd be perma-banned.

However this is the OP of this thread with the words transposed so that it's discussing a difference of skin colour rather than height. Why is the above so socially unacceptable whereas discussing a persons height in such disparaging terms is seen as fair game and a bit of a laugh? After all the short boss has no more chance of becoming tall then a black man has of becoming white?

OP you're just using lazy generalisations to slur somebody who you have an issue with. I've no doubt that he isn't a pleasant character but for you to immediately jump to the conclusion that this is due to his height says more about your own state of mind and prejustices than it does for his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Everybody knows short guys with short man syndrome, mad that theres 15 pages of discussion on this topic.
    People are discussing whether it exists prevalently though. Is a short guy who's an ass... an ass because he's short, or would he be an ass no matter what height? I'm inclined to believe that's usually the case. Like I said, I had a boss who was short and was a complete ass. He didn't seem insecure or defensive though; very confident actually. No hassle getting women etc. I'm very confident he'd be the same if taller.
    Maybe there are short guys who have a chip on their shoulder and are extra defensive due to their diminutive stature, but it's pretty unfair and unpleasant for people like on this thread to say it's widespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

• Advertisement

ikarie wrote: »
    They maybe shorter than us but they'll definitely have the last laugh!

Maybe they do, but no one can hear them because sound doesn't travel that far vertically.:)

I'm 4ft. 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

McDermotX wrote: »
    Similarly to the reason small dogs are the narky ones -

'it's because they have to drag their balls along the wet grass'

That sounds like a plus to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Shocking No? If someone wrote the above OP they'd, at a minimum get a tirade of abuse, and most likely the thread would be locked and they'd be perma-banned.

However this is the OP of this thread with the words transposed so that it's discussing a difference of skin colour rather than height. Why is the above so socially unacceptable whereas discussing a persons height in such disparaging terms is seen as fair game and a bit of a laugh? After all the short boss has no more chance of becoming tall then a black man has of becoming white?

OP you're just using lazy generalisations to slur somebody who you have an issue with. I've no doubt that he isn't a pleasant character but for you to immediately jump to the conclusion that this is due to his height says more about your own state of mind and prejustices than it does for his.

Chill out little fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

There is no such think as short man syndrome. It is a myth. Why is this thread allowed to remain open?

37 posts I have reported from it and yet nothing. I am fcuking furious.

There is no such think as short man syndrome. It is a myth. Why is this thread allowed to remain open?

You're short, aren't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Back off Shorty !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Candie wrote: »
    You're short, aren't you?
    Back off Shorty !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm tall (6'4") and fairly easy going, never looking for trouble. The only hassle I've ever gotten has always been from short little wee men.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As long as the middle leg is normal size I wouldn't worry too much about the length of the 2 either side of it.

Advertisement