Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get caught stealing chips - Win €8000 !!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There must have been widespread pilfering going on in Dunnes for them to sack 9 people.

The way they should have done it was to warn all staff that snacking isn't allowed and that anybody caught snacking would be dismissed. Then, be true to their word and dismiss the first person that they caught nibbling the products. That would bring the other eight people into line.

Dunnes deserve special mention for being stupid enough not to follow the correct procedures for dismissing staff or for not knowing the law regarding cameras. Every idiot and their brother knows that there are well laid out ways of doing this type of thing.

This, exactly. If they wanted the employees to stop snacking, that's how they should have gone about it. I do get the impression though that a lot of their stores treat their staff as disposable - I often see stories of former employees bringing various cases against them. Most other companies wouldn't sack 9 people at once because the cost of replacing them and training new staff wouldn't be worth it, plus it would be awful for morale, but they don't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Boy, those staff members must have been really scoffing the stuff to think that Dunne's were willing to risk a compensation case.

Rules were broken, but I cannot see the staff causing so much damage that they'd be fired for it. A week off maybe.

I'm uneasy about the settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

vitani wrote: »
    This, exactly. If they wanted the employees to stop snacking, that's how they should have gone about it.
    That might have put a stop to the stealing, it would still mean that all the people who think it's ok to steal from their employers get to stick around and steal another day though.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That might have put a stop to the stealing, it would still mean that all the people who think it's ok to steal from their employers get to stick around and steal another day though.

I tell ya, it's hard working in the food area and one has to dump perfectly good food each and every day.

Disposable Food, IMO, has to be considered different from taking a joint of meat home or a tin of beans, prepared Deli Stuff and cut fruits are not stored at closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What else is it ok to steal? Some socks? a few pairs of traksuit bottoms? cigarettes?

Can't compare these. A huge amount of Deli food is dumped at the end of each day.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I tell ya, it's hard working in the food area and one has to dump perfectly good food each and every day.

Disposable Food, IMO, has to be considered different from taking a joint of meat home or a tin of beans, prepared Deli Stuff and cut fruits are not stored at closing time.
    Supermarkets and the likes are extremely wasteful, they demand massive bulk at reduced prices and then end up throwing half of it away. I pretty much think supermarkets and especially the big ones like tescos are damaging society as a whole, eroding quality, causing massive waste, reducing the quality of life for farmers and their livestock, creating food imbalance where the countries that need food the most sell it to the countries that need food the least for next to nothing.

They are like a cancer and they can't possibly continue as they are for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Supermarkets and the likes are extremely wasteful, they demand massive bulk at reduced prices and then end up throwing half of it away. I pretty much think supermarkets and especially the big ones like tescos are damaging society as a whole, eroding quality, causing massive waste, reducing the quality of life for farmers and their livestock, creating food imbalance where the countries that need food the most sell it to the countries that need food the least for next to nothing.

They are like a cancer and they can't possibly continue as they are for much longer.
    How is this relevant?

Is it ok to steal stuff now if its going to eventually be thrown away?
    where do you draw the line here? Define "eventually" for me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The reason supermarkets dump food at the end of the day, (or sell it at a discount), rather than give it away is to discourage staff from putting more food on than is necessary in the run up to closing time.

GreeBo wrote: »
    How is this relevant?

Is it ok to steal stuff now if its going to eventually be thrown away?
    where do you draw the line here? Define "eventually" for me...
    I've been more or less on the side of the business, it's their stock, if they want to keep it for the bins it's up to them.

I don't see it as a big deal and I was just agreeing that supermarkets are horribly wasteful and while they can rightfully say "stealing is stealing" they won't get too much sympathy when their only going to dump it in the bin anyway.

I'm sure in any small run cafe it wouldn't be seen as a problem but in a large corporation they get anal about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Personally, I don't class eating a few chips as that big a deal. For me, it's on the same level as the pens from 'Oifig an tSoláthair' that my dad would stick in his shirt pocket during work and end up bringing home. It doesn't mean he was about to stick his hand in the petty cash box, and eating bits and pieces from the deli doesn't mean the staff in Dunnes would steal physical items from the store.

If 9 staff were caught snacking on food, then the first thing to do, IMO, would be to remind everyone of the rules around eating deli food. If the existing rule is being ignored to such an extent, then I'd consider that a failure by the management team first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure in any small run cafe it wouldn't be seen as a problem but in a large corporation they get anal about these things.

But a few quid a day across 200 odd shops adds ups to a lot of money per annum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'd hardly say that a low-paid woman eating a few chicken goujons while working for a massively profitable company is a "scumbag" either. It's not as if she was taking a machete to newborn kittens.

How do you think they make these "chicken goujons" then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I used to work in a DIY shop many years ago. The owners also owned a newsagents which closed down. They put all the stock from the newsagents in the storeroom and I used to sneak out a few times a day to rob a bag of out of date crisps and to look through the box of Playboys. It was the highlight of my time working there. I felt like a king sitting there eating stale crisps and looking at old Playboys.

I used to work in a DIY shop many years ago. The owners also owned a newsagents which closed down. They put all the stock from the newsagents in the storeroom and I used to sneak out a few times a day to rob a bag of out of date crisps and to look through the box of Playboys. It was the highlight of my time working there. I felt like a king sitting there eating stale crisps and looking at old Playboys.

Doing a spot of DIY in there too no doubt !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Red Nissan wrote: »

In regards to disposable food and stuff left over from the deli that didn't sell, how about asking a supervisor for permission to have it themselves.

Dipping hands in and pinching away at things degrades trust.

Gatling wrote: »
    But a few quid a day across 200 odd shops adds ups to a lot of money per annum
    It doesn't add up to anything really. They can say this chip is worth .02c to our company if, we sell it. Companies seem to love making up numbers based on what ifs. If they know they throw out a certain amount of food each day, why don't they factor in the loses from staff eating bits of food into those numbers where they would have no loses shown? It's because it doesn't suit them to admit it.

At the end of the day it's their property, if they think they're losing so much money to staff eating bits here and there that it warrants spending money on firing and hiring new staff, training them, dealing with the fallout, then it's their right to go down that route.

Bottom line is they had no loses, they went on the principle that staff shouldn't steal from their employers, which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

My understanding of delis is that fingers aren't allowed to be used to pick up food. So I'd think in this case it wasn't just dipping fingers in for a few chips here and there. Some sort of tongs would have been used to pick up food and more than likely poured into one of those take away cups or trays.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Is every single post here on the posters own time. It is a work day and there were 127 posts by 5pm. I am sure it is by the tone of some of the posts.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Is every single post here on the posters own time. It is a work day and there were 127 posts by 5pm. I am sure it is by the tone of some of the posts.

Ita also a study day for those with exams tomorrow.

Like me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JJayoo wrote: »
    Can't compare these. A huge amount of Deli food is dumped at the end of each day.

It belongs to Dunnes and is a product like any other. If Dunnes want to cook 1000 chickens and dump them that's their choice. They choose not to let the employees eat the food they own. It's theft like anything else.
    It doesn't add up to anything really. They can say this chip is worth .02c to our company if, we sell it..
    Do Dunnes get the chips and chicken goujons for free?

Were they following proper hygiene practices when they were eating the food? Because I don't fancy getting the next goujon that's been touched by someone's fingers that were in their mouth, or that they didn't think to clean because they were only snacking for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

You aren't allowed put in cameras in the workplace and not tell them. That is why they were awarded.

It belongs to Dunnes and is a product like any other. If Dunnes want to cook 1000 chickens and dump them that's their choice. They choose not to let the employees eat the food they own. It's theft like anything else.

Do Dunnes get the chips and chicken goujons for free?
    If they want to cook 1000 chickens and throw them in the bin they can but they can't argue loss of earnings then. My point is it's not costing them anything if the foods going to be thrown out anyway, but it is their property so they can do what they like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they want to cook 1000 chickens and throw them in the bin they can but they can't argue loss of earnings then. My point is it's not costing them anything if the foods going to be thrown out anyway, but it is their property so they can do what they like with it.
    I live across the road from a Dunnes. We don't tend to bother doing big shops so just go over most days for the bits we need . I often get a portion of cocktail sausages from the deli. Normally if you get there after 4 or so the deli is bare despite it being open for a few more hours. If the sausages are gone because of the staff snacking then they are losing out on a few portions being sole to me a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Lapin wrote: »
    Ita also a study day for those with exams tomorrow.

Like me. :(
    What you studying?

Economics myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's ridiculous is that if they had simply warned employees that they'd be filming them, she wouldn't have kept stealing the chips AND they wouldn't have been breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I hope all those on their high horses have never stolen a pen, been on the internet for personal use (stealing your employers time), used the company phone for personal calls, taken longer on breaks etc.

It's a few chips.

Secretly monitoring staff is such a big no no. If they were that interested to know what the staff were up to, they should have told them.

The self-righteousness of some people on AH is astounding. A woman likely working her hole off in a ****ty minimum wage job eating a few chips labelled a scumbag. Some people really need to take their head out of the clouds.

I live across the road from a Dunnes. We don't tend to bother doing big shops so just go over most days for the bits we need . I often get a portion of cocktail sausages from the deli. Normally if you get there after 4 or so the deli is bare despite it being open for a few more hours. If the sausages are gone because of the staff snacking then they are losing out on a few portions being sole to me a week.
    It would probably be a rare situation. It would seem more likely that if they're nibbling the last bits of food they'll get to the stage where they'll want to put on more, fresher food. So maybe they'd be doing you a favour eating all the shriveled up sausage rolls and there'll be a nice fresh batch just out of the oven by the time you get there.

I doubt it's a case they're eating the shelves bare, probably more a case of them taking one of the fresh ones on the way to the hotplate. I'm surprised to hear anyone from a deli counter eating the food in them, most have so many horror stories they're not able to eat deli food anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Id love to see the ins and outs of the disciplinary procedures in this case but sacking someone for nibbling a few chips or goujons during the day seems ridiculously harsh.

I am glad Dunnes got hit for a few quid. A lot of these companies treat their staff very poorly.

dirtyden wrote: »
    I am glad Dunnes got hit for a few quid. A lot of these companies treat their staff very poorly.

My family has had good experiences from Anne Dunne in the past, she gave my wife food, money and cloths for our twins, my wife's father worked in the Patrick Street Branch. She was also very good to him and attended his funeral.

• Advertisement

What you studying?

Economics myself :(

Soc & Pol.

Exam in 14 hours. :(

Advertisement