Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cities you'd never return to

• 19-04-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Having been in a good few places around the world, I would have to say Budapest is a beautiful one with regard to history and architecture, but it is definately to most unfriendly place I've been, the people I encountered were rude and unhelpful consistantly, hence I will not be returning. Other than that I'd say stuttgart in germany(yawn), or varanassi in India, an interesting place but a nightmare to get around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Atlanta. Nice city overall but there are an awful lot of homeless people there trying to get money off ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Atlanta. Nice city overall but there are an awful lot of homeless people there trying to get money off ya.

San Fran is like that too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

lufties wrote: »
    Having been in a good few places around the world, I would have to say Budapest is a beautiful one with regard to history and architecture, but it is definately to most unfriendly place I've been, the people I encountered were rude and unhelpful consistantly, hence I will not be going back

I'd go back there (hopefully in August). Had a great time there last year. I had company so didn't have to depend on strangers to make my trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I found Budapest great, but was told by the person running the hostel that anyone over 30 I should expect them to be rude to me. Not to take it personally. He said times are slowly changing and te younger people are more aware of international visitors. The younger people we met where more than helpful to us

Bratislava, although similar attitudes I wouldn't return to. Its a lovely city, just very dull. Not an awful lot happening.

Vienna I also found quite boring. Great if your in your late 30s/40s and looking for museums etc but not really for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

marseille. Kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Paris.

Dirty kip.

godtabh wrote: »
    I'd go back there (hopefully in August). Had a great time there last year. I had company so didn't have to depend on strangers to make my trip

Jesus what a smug post, yes I also had company and didn't depend on anyone, just making an observation thst the people are miserabld generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Freetown, Sierra Leone...still have nightmares, dangerous kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Probably Prague, I just didn't like it at all seemed so dark and dingy. The freezing weather and snow didn't help either; for me it's a place I've seen once and that's enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Sydney. Too big and busy.

• Advertisement

Probably Prague, I just didn't like it at all seemed so dark and dingy. The freezing weather and snow didn't help either; for me it's a place I've seen once and that's enough.

lucky I didn't book a trip there so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Prague, beautiful city but the people in it are wan**r's!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I went to thermopylae once. 300 hundred locals turned up at a narrow passageway coming into the town and all huddled together and wouldnt let us through.
    We had to camp there took us months to get in.

Sydney. Too big and busy.

have you been to london or new york?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'd say Malaga. People weren't the nicest. Found Stuttgart a lovely place op. Maybe because I was there for the beer fest. Also didn't think much of Sydney

San Fran is like that too.

Yeah its a shame because it was great otherwise. But its gets a bit tiresome when they're outside your hotel waiting for you to come out, constantly hounding you. Although TBH I wouldn't go back to America full stop. I got sick of been interrogated in customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Barcelona - I can't quite put my finger on why I disliked the place but I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Drunshambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

Amsterdam. It doesn't really have anything you wouldn't see in most other northern Euro capitals.

See also; Copenhagen

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'd say Malaga. People weren't the nicest. Found Stuttgart a lovely place op. Maybe because I was there for the beer fest. Also didn't think much of Sydney

I'm going there next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Paris. I wasn't at all impressed. Granted it was a rugby trip and we saw no sights and drank a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

LA & Boston
    Hated them
    Well I mean I have a couple of friends in LA so I'd go back to see them of course but otherwise no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The falls are amazing but other than that Niagra in Canada. The only way of the describing it is as the illegitimate love child of Las Vegas and Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Kilkenny

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah its a shame because it was great otherwise. But its gets a bit tiresome when they're outside your hotel waiting for you to come out, constantly hounding you. Although TBH I wouldn't go back to America full stop. I got sick of been interrogated in customs.

I have no interest in America either for some reason but I probably will return at some point.

wazky wrote: »
    Kilkenny

what an overrated city that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

what an overrated city that is.

City?

Borderfox wrote: »
    Prague, beautiful city but the people in it are wan**r's!!

I've been there twice. I found the people were either incredibly polite or incredibly rude. There's no middle ground. I enjoyed it more the second time though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Casablanca. Only time I've ever felt unsafe.

Advertisement