Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The After Hours end of year awards for the Best & Worst of 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Best thread is The creepy/Unnerving stories thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88112866#post88112866

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

May I just say that this is a great song let down by an incredibly horrendous video? Cause I think it is.

:confused:

Kim Kardashian gets her substantial rack out in the video. Whats not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Poster Of The Year: Me obviously.

Thread Of The Year: None. Although, if I had started one, It'd definitely be the thread of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Kim Kardashian gets her substantial rack out in the video. Whats not to like?

That's great but the overall video is shockingly bad :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Good Person Of The Year: Michael D. Higgins for giving it to the EU C*nts
    Bold Person Of The Year: Snowden

Boards.ie Awards

Poster Of The Year: Mint Aero

Thread Of The Year: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87399097

Edit : Ah sh*t, it's your thread OP

• Advertisement

Apparently Love/Hate was big too this year. I wouldn't know, I've been under a rock.

You didn't miss much this year

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That's great but the overall video is shockingly bad :L

Agreed. If an advanced Alien civilisation produced that video as evidence that life had to be restarted on this planet for the overall benefit of the universe it would be indefensible.

'I know I got a bad reputation
    Walking 'round, always mad reputation
    Leave a pretty girl sad reputation'

smcgiff wrote: »
    Agreed. If an advanced Alien civilisation produced that video as evidence that life had to be restarted on this planet for the overall benefit of the universe it would be indefensible.

'I know I got a bad reputation
    Walking 'round, always mad reputation
    Leave a pretty girl sad reputation'

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Gobsh!t of the year - That HealyRae fella
    Ad of the year - Van Damme on the Volvo trucks
    Dickhead of the year - That West fella going with yer wan
    Man of the year - Walter White
    Film of the year - Django
    Song of the year - intro by the xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

May I just say that this is a great song let down by an incredibly horrendous video? Cause I think it is.
    For me, Yeezus gave RAM a close run for its money in the "Massively hyped albums that really, really let me down" award.* I didn't "get it" to the extent that I think there might be a bit of an Emperor's New Clothes thing going on given the universally ecstatic reviews it received.

But it isn't a terrible album, and Bound 2 is not a terrible song. So when I started seeing the internet going wild over the song as well as the video, I was perplexed to the degree that I thought that a synaesthesia pandemic might have filled in for the usual bout of winter flu. But really, I think it was a a case of internet Chinese whispers run wild. The video came out, it was a ****pile, and alternative music sites recognised it as the steaming, polished turd it was. As the news of this abomination trickled down from niche indie blogs to sites like Facebook and Boards, in which people who aren't into music feel more at home, the message got a bit muddled and changed from "The video is ****pile" to "The video and the accompanying track are a collective ****pile." This was pounced upon by people who don't like music made by black people who don't play stringed instruments, and gave them that warm, fuzzy, look-at-me-I'm-a-music-critic feeling I'd get as a 14-year-old going mad about Westlife's undeserved success. It's very telling that no one was declaring it to be the worst song of the year when it emerged on Yeezus, sans video. This is because the people who hold this opinion do not listen to albums, perhaps with the exception of a Christmas compilation by Michael Bublé, or the odd greatest hits disc by a 70's Dadrock band. "Bound 2 is the worst song ever" is a meme, not a reasonable self-formed opinion.

And don't get me started to the preposterous furore surrounding What does the Fox Say?, which I see is still alive and well. The track first came to my attention on a thread on this site, and the righteous fury it had stirred up in its detractors was tangible even through the impassive screen of my laptop. It wwas declared as "The end of music " - a pretty frightening claim. What had happened; had Burial collborated with Rebecca Black to produce some heavy Brostep that was "All about the drop?" Or maybe Kendrick had put down the pen and pad and replaced it with a guitar to make "quirky" acoustic covers of 90's dance anthems for Youtube videos?

Oh wait, it's a cute joke song with an innocuous Eurodance beat made by two nobodies from Finland or somewhere.

"The end of music," Jesus ****ing wept. What's next, an in-depth Guardian piece annihilating Pat Shortt's Jumbo Breakfast Roll, or a 5000-word polemic about how the rise of Richie Kavanagh and the sad decline of rave culture in Ireland is no mere coincidence?

*Not an actual award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Best Film: Gravity really got my attention. Didn't expect it to blow me away like it did.

Worst Film:
    Can't say I watched a great deal of movies this year but didn't they have a Scary Movie film this year? We'll assume that was garbage.

Best Song: Hmm... Bibio - You was one of my favourites. James Blake up there, along with Jon Hopkins, Bosnian Rainbows, Dirg Gerner...nah, can't pick a favourite, 2013 had some really great releases.

Worst Song:

Get Lucky maybe a close second. Random Access Memories altogether was a hideously overhyped and decidedly average album.

Good Person Of The Year: Wendy Davis, Edward Snowden too.

Bold Person Of The Year: Ian Watkins

Biggest Troll: They know who they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

MJ23 wrote: »
    Song of the year - intro by the xx
    Song of 2009, maybe.

I'm guessing you're a Love/Hate fan? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Song of 2009, maybe.

I'm guessing you're a Love/Hate fan? ;)

I heard it around the start of the year. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

General

Best Film: Cloud Atlas.

Worst Film:
    After Earth.

Best Tv Moment:
    Game of Thrones Red Wedding.

Best SongArtist: Avicii.

Worst Song: That Royals shíte.

Good Person Of The Year: Chris Hadfield.

Bold Person Of The Year: That piece of shít Watkins.

Boards.ie Awards

Poster Of The Year: K9, always has something to say worth hearing, willing to listen to others opinions and never comes across as a dick (unlike the rest of us). Boards could do with a few more K9's.

Thread Of The Year: This gripping tale of a man overcoming pain and adversity to achieve what few of us could ever hope to.

Boards moment of the Year: Responses to Eden Hazard in the lookalikes thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

Should have a "kick in the face" award.And an "atari jaguar" award for gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I heard it around the start of the year. Love it.

I heard it a year before you on Irelands next top model. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Best Film: Gravity really got my attention. Didn't expect it to blow me away like it did.

Worst Film:
    Can't say I watched a great deal of movies this year but didn't they have a Scary Movie film this year? We'll assume that was garbage.

Best Song: Hmm... Bibio - You was one of my favourites. James Blake up there, along with Jon Hopkins, Bosnian Rainbows, Dirg Gerner...nah, can't pick a favourite, 2013 had some really great releases.

Worst Song:

Get Lucky maybe a close second. Random Access Memories altogether was a hideously overhyped and decidedly average album.

Good Person Of The Year: Wendy Davis, Edward Snowden too.

Bold Person Of The Year: Ian Watkins

Biggest Troll: They know who they are...

thank you so much for this, this video is one of the funniest ive ever seen on the internet. ohhhhh my god, when she starts skipping with the panda i nearly died

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

RAM wouldn't of been that bad if they focused on more than just one song off the damn thing! Touch,Contact and Giorgio Moroder were the only decent tracks.

Album Of The Year: ...Like Clockwork by QOTSA got many replays.

Movie of the year: Nothing really comes to mind that was amazing though I enjoyed Pacific Rim and The World's End for what they were.

Good guy of the year: Chris Hadfield

Best TV moment: Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Good Person Of The Year: Michael D. Higgins for giving it to the EU C*nts
    Bold Person Of The Year: Snowden

Boards.ie Awards

Poster Of The Year: Mint Aero

Thread Of The Year: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87399097

Edit : Ah sh*t, it's your thread OP

I read your comment and agreed that yeah mint aero is actually a funny poster, then I saw that you posted that comment, which only confirmed that you are actually the poster of the year as voted for by me. And you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've only seen the bound 2 video twice and had not heard any talk about it, but was it not meant to be stupid, it looked like a piss-take; are people saying it wasn't a good a piss-take? What I thought when I saw it was that Kanye was "in a really good place, mentally"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Best Film:

Easily..

Best Comedy: We're The Millers.

Worst Film: The Counselor (Windscreen scene was hilarious though).

Best Song:

Worst Song: Kanye West Bound 2

Good Person Of The Year:

AA guy who found me at 4am, out of juice, even though I didn't know where the fcuk i was. Turns out I was somewhere between Killkenny and Carlow. You don't know darkness until you're stranded in the sticks. Was sure I was either gonna be eaten by some flesh hungry wolf type creature, or get hit by someone who was half asleep at the wheel. I could have kissed Mr. AA Guy, so he's my man of the year.

Bold Person Of The Year:

Me. For not believing my petrol gauge.

Boards.ie Awards
    Poster Of The Year:
    Me. Only person on Boards I always agree with and who's jokes always make me laugh.

Thread Of The Year:
    For me it's a sad thread and so not going for it because it entertained me or anything but just that it's the one thread I've read that will stay with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Worst Song:
    :eek:

Won't sleep tonight after watching that...

EDIT:
    Can't stop laughing with the lookalikes posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Ad of the year - Van Damme on the Volvo trucks

Nah Chuck Norris did it better.

I've only seen the bound 2 video twice and had not heard any talk about it, but was it not meant to be stupid, it looked like a piss-take; are people saying it wasn't a good a piss-take? What I thought when I saw it was that Kanye was "in a really good place, mentally"...

Kanye is a sociopath, he's far from being in a good place mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kanye is a sociopath, he's far from being in a good place mentally

Ah go easy on him. He is a recovering gay fish after all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Best Ride:
    Yore Aunt's sister

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Bring back the official boards awards. I've a ton of these to my name.

Ah go easy on him. He is a recovering gay fish after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Well he denies it of course.

Advertisement