Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus is worst airline

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lightbulbs

For short haul to Europe I generally choose Ryanair. Meals or in-flight entertainment aren't provided on such short flights so Aer Lingus essentially offer the same product as Ryanair. However, the latter wins on price. They usually have quicker turnaround times too since they don't bother with reserved seating nonsense.

As for flights to America, the most important thing is to avoid US Airways. No back seat screens so you strain your neck trying to watch the 20 year old Friends re-run on the overhead CRT monitor. The food is nothing to write home about either. They are the cheapest when flying trans-Atlantic but you get what you pay for. Terrible airline. Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic are fine but they can be pricey. I'd rather fly with Virgin or KLM.

Many people like myself will never forgive Aer Lingus for their extortionate prices to London when they had a monopoly back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

Anyway, I'd take Aer Lingus any day over Air France.

Could not agree with you more, Scare France are a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've flown Aer Lingus many times, never a bother.
    Usually long haul though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

WTF? I take it you have never sat upon one of Ryanairs finest plastic knee crushers?

I traveled to South America and back on Iberia Airlines about ten years ago. I'm not the tallest of blokes (5'8"ish) but, Jesus Christ, the Spanish must really short or really tolerant. I've only just managed to decouple my knees from my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

To be fair to the OP British Airways are nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

humbert wrote: »

Flew with them on an A340 to Larnaca, probably one of the best flights I ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What's your issue with T2?

Linda Hamilton didn't get her tits out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Definitely not the worst. Ryanair are worse. Also the american airlines are atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I think aer lingus are on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I have been flying around Europe every couple of weeks for some months now. I hate terminal 2 in Dublin Airport so will always opt to fly with an Airline going from T1.
    I had the misfortune this week to fly Aer Lingus to Barcelona. It was truely awful. Long queues at check in as there was only 3 desks open and 1 luggage drop off desk for the likes of me who always uses mobile app check in. Staff were "Polite" but unfriendly. Couldn't bring hand luggage as well as a laptop bag so had to check in my cabin bag.
    Seats are dire on planes, leg room is puny compared to every other airline I have flown.
    What really amazes me is their prices are at best equal to the non low cost airlines and in many cases only 20 Euro cheaper.
    Check in desk in Barcelona opened just 2hrs before the flight, have never seen that with another airline before.
    When I fly to London I only will go on the British Airways flights as you at least get a cup of coffee, a snack and can take a cabin bag as well as the laptop bag and the staff are very friendly.
    Am all for buying Irish but not when you get cr@p service.

I dunno about this, sounds like rant than anything reasonable.

Terminal 2 is hardly Aer Lingus' fault. Besides the lifts from checkin to security, it is a great little terminal for me.

I have never had to check in baggage for Aer Lingus or Ryanair so no comment there.

Staff have been great for me on Aer Lingus flights.

How big is your laptop case that you could not bring it? I regularly bring my 17" laptop in a small case with no bother when my overhead luggage is full or overweight with the laptop.

Aer Lingus has the same or better seating attributes for pitch and width with extra legroom on the Aer Lingus flights (I am 6 foot 3 so it matters to me - Flybe turboprops are by far one of the best for legroom actually)

I have flown short haul from Dublin about 20 times in the last year and it has been 50/50 on price between Aer Lingus and Ryanair. My situations mean I can not book too far in advance and they sure are similar.

Check in at Barca could have a hell of a lot to do with the airport.

Cuppa and a snack would be nice but I would probably never want it anyway. Just a take it if I get it handed to me kinda person :p

For my personal opinion on Aer Lingus, I have always really enjoyed flying with them. I prefer the Airbus over Boeing in their respective configs. That said, I would advise against getting seats near the front of the Aer Lingus/Aer Arann turbo props. They are stupidly loud. Knowing you will be seated in a nice orderly fashion gives me more time to chillax instead of queing 30 mins before the plane lands with Ryanair which has happened before. Not that I join the queue, I wait till the end is where I sit but it is awful awkward looking at a wall of people 2 foot ahead of you. =P

But anyway, I would rate Aer Lingus over Ryanair 1.0 any day. I have yet to fly on Ryanair 2.0 just yet so I will reserve judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've flown Aer Lingus, Ryanair, SAS and Delta, and I'd take Aer Lingus any day of the week. Plus, no matter where I am in the world seeing a tail with the green shamrock makes me feel like I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I have been flying around Europe every couple of weeks for some months now. I hate terminal 2 in Dublin Airport so will always opt to fly with an Airline going from T1.

You limit your choice of airlines, destinations and flight times because you don't like T2!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

T2 is fantastic. Open, spacious, no big crowds, hassle free. There's no way I could agree with your criticism of T2.
    If I did we'd both be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't mind Aer Lingus, haven't flown them Long Haul in about 2 years. Used them from CDG to Cork last summer and was surprised by the modern aircraft, space was huge in between the seats too.

What i detest is the crappy old Aer Arann planes that are used on short UK-Ireland routes. Rusty buckets is all the are.
    I've flown EDI-London City with BA and their Cityflyer planes and they are ridicoulous, there's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I flew with Aer Lingus to Portugal on a holiday in 2012 and on the flight home, one of the friendly stewardesses asked me if I had a nice holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Qantas.

Qantas never crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

AerLingus are OK.
    If you get free sandwiches, drinks etc on the flight it generally means it's included in the price. Maybe you don't want anything.

On-flight entertainment ain't such a big thing, just bring an iPad with a film or two on it.

Qantas.

Qantas never crashed.

He says on Friday the 13th.

Flippin hell imagine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

He says on Friday the 13th.

Flippin hell imagine :(

They did though, afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

humbert wrote: »

No way. Aer Lingus way nicer, unless you travel business class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

I had a great transatlantic flight with Aer Lingus not too long ago.

Was a trip to DC in the States.

I had no problems with checkin - then again I arrived quite early at the airport and it was a morning flight.

I am not a small man, but the plane was reasonably comfortable to sit in for 5-7 hours. A bit tight on the way over, but a little better on the way back. Baggage made it all the way to and from Dulles without a hitch and the service onboard was great. And the Skydine meal was worth the extra few quid just for the sheer novelty and theatre of having actual cutlery and delph to eat off of. And it was quite nice.

Then again, I don't really fly that often so I don't have much to benchmark it against.

But it wasn't an utter horrorshow.

The connecting flights with Jetblue and UA were prompt and comfortable - and both airlines were very helpful.

All in all, it was a surprisingly enjoyable experience and not a living hell. Would do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Aer Lingus are pretty meh to be honest. It is nice to fly on an Irish airline sometimes but the lack of integration with other airlines is really annoying. I have to take 3 flights tomorrow. Two with finnair and one with Aer lingus. It was all done on one booking through finnair but because EI are on a different system I will probably have to go out through security in Manchester to get my boarding card. I think my bag will be checked through but I might have to do that as well.

And no air miles! It would really suit me if they were in One World.

Plus I wish they would differentiate their product from Ryanair a bit more.

fits wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are pretty meh to be honest. It is nice to fly on an Irish airline sometimes but the lack of integration with other airlines is really annoying. I have to take 3 flights tomorrow. Two with finnair and one with Aer lingus. Because they are on a different system I will probably have to go out through security in Manchester to get my boarding card. I think my bag will be checked through but I might have to do that as well.

Hmmm, I thought the reason you have to leave and enter again is because of your final destination rather than the airline. I had to do the same in Manchester this year. I could have gotten that wrong though.

^ Maybe it is partly. But if they were on same system at least I wouldn't have to queue for boarding card. Will see what happens tomorrow and report back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had the misfortune this week to fly Aer Lingus to Barcelona. It was truely awful. Long queues at check in as there was only 3 desks open and 1 luggage drop off desk for the likes of me who always uses mobile app check in. Staff were "Polite" but unfriendly. Couldn't bring hand luggage as well as a laptop bag so had to check in my cabin bag.
    Seats are dire on planes, leg room is puny compared to every other airline I have flown.
    What really amazes me is their prices are at best equal to the non low cost airlines and in many cases only 20 Euro cheaper.
    Check in desk in Barcelona opened just 2hrs before the flight, have never seen that with another airline before.
    When I fly to London I only will go on the British Airways flights as you at least get a cup of coffee, a snack and can take a cabin bag as well as the laptop bag and the staff are very friendly.
    Am all for buying Irish but not when you get cr@p service.

You haven't tried Aeroflot yet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Hmmm, I thought the reason you have to leave and enter again is because of your final destination rather than the airline. I had to do the same in Manchester this year. I could have gotten that wrong though.

If you have to switch terminals, sometimes.

It's annoying.

But both Dulles and JFK have trains or this weird shuttle-container bus thing to carry people between terminals and boarding gates.

fits wrote: »
    ^ Maybe it is partly. But if they were on same system at least I wouldn't have to queue for boarding card. Will see what happens tomorrow and report back. :)

I definitely didn't have to get a new boarding card. I got two at check in.

^ This happened me before. Coming through Dusseldorf. The Aer Lingus and Finnair systems don't talk to each other. Finnair is a nice airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

branie wrote: »
    I flew with Aer Lingus to Portugal on a holiday in 2012 and on the flight home, one of the friendly stewardesses asked me if I had a nice holiday.

Who's to say she meant it? She's paid to say it after all. She's so sick of tourists coming in and out of those planes she can't wait to see the back of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Very poor aer lingus flight there a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how much of it was their fault but there were big pain in the ass changes of gates at both departure and arrival so delays getting on and off the damn thing. And my blue leather seat nearly broke my back. The staff were great though, really really great. Polite, friendly and competant. It's that which makes them stand out for me, particularly over their less than half as professional nearest rivals.

Advertisement