Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long have you played WoW? + more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Was introduced to it in October 2008 (TBC) by a college housemate.
    Played on US servers until September 2010.
    Got hacked. Lost a bit of interest.
    Upgraded laptop in January 2012, started back on the EU servers 'just to see what it was like with the new laptop'.
    Had to stop due to working hours in October 2012.
    Built my first (relatively) powerful computer in January 2014 and I think it was only normal to make a return after that ;)

Maybe it's because of what you learn about the game over time, or the add ons, or the heirlooms and guild benefits, but it seemed far more difficult when I first joined!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Started in late '07 when TBC was starting to get going.

Ive taken some breaks to play other things (SWTOR) but always missed it.

Im back now but cant play nearly as much as id like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I played once for about a month years ago, TBC. I got to about level 30 or so and gave up, found the questing boring as hell. Downloaded the trial yesterday and rolled a worgen hunter on the Argent Dawn server and am really enjoying it so far, the quests are far better!

Only thing is I dont know any of the back story to the game, any recomendations on what to read to get up to speed?

I'm gonna get a few classes to level 20 (highest with the trial account) and if I'm still having fun I'll sub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The wikia is really good, you should look up worsens it's a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Thanks, theres a good set of videos, "Lore for noobs" which I found on youtube, very informative

• Advertisement

I would recommend looking for a guy I subscribe to called nobbel87, I really like his videos he explains them well and I dunno his accent is just easy to listen too.

One of his videos detailing the story of one of the most famous characters in the lore,http://youtu.be/cQDjPv_Ykd8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ryanakabyitz

that guys accent is amazing. Also ddguides makes lore videos

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would recommend looking for a guy I subscribe to called nobbel87, I really like his videos he explains them well and I dunno his accent is just easy to listen too.

One of his videos detailing the story of one of the most famous characters in the lore,http://youtu.be/cQDjPv_Ykd8 .

Watching this. This stuff makes me want to play WOW again as I love WOW lore so much. I was a wc3 junky like madman. Its a shame I cant stand Pandaria. I still dont have level 90 character, thats how bad it became for me.

I started playing WoW in late 2005 or very early 2006, cant remember now. Played it non stop for 5-6 years. Then I was just poping in now and then. I havent played properly for a year at least. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Watching this. This stuff makes me want to play WOW again as I love WOW lore so much. I was a wc3 junky like madman. Its a shame I cant stand Pandaria. I still dont have level 90 character, thats how bad it became for me.

I started playing WoW in late 2005 or very early 2006, cant remember now. Played it non stop for 5-6 years. Then I was just poping in now and then. I havent played properly for a year at least. :(

I think Pandaria has been pretty cool. Nice zones, some great questlines and decent raids. The farming worked really well too, I thought. Only weak point for me really was the dungeons, they are absolutely awful. Never thought I would miss the Cataclysm dungeons but I actually do, they are that bad!

If you like lore, the early expansion was crappy but the lore started to become later on. The mechanic to explain how things happened was quite good the scenarios which replaced the traditional dungeon system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MyNanoh

I've played for 3 years before my account was definitely banished (don't threat people with hacking their account because they just annoyed you).
    Then a 1 year break, and it's been almost a year so far.

And 2 months abroad without playing is not that complicated than i thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I don't think ill be returning for the next expansion, soo much has changed in the game from when I first knew it and its all too much at once to go back to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

killanena wrote: »
    I don't think ill be returning for the next expansion, soo much has changed in the game from when I first knew it and its all too much at once to go back to :p

If it makes you feel better they give you a crash course when you log back in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I've been playing since about 5/6 months pre-TBC. I leveled a Night Elf Hunter to 31 in that time. What a game it was back then. Stranglethorn Vale was the ****! I played on Bloodhoof EU back then. I had just started secondary school so I wasn't in to the whole raiding scene at that stage.

God I miss those days. No MMO to date has given me that same feeling when playing in a new world that Vanilla and TBC gave me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seeing Deadmines for the 1st time still ranks as one of my favourite gaming moments. Blowing that door, and walking into that cavern with the pirate ship...bloody brilliant.

The SM instants stand out the most to me :p, Back in the day I used to boost people's alts in return for gold and all the items they didn't need. Made decent gold for back in vanilla that way.

I used to boost everyone. Was a real sucker for it. RFC, Wailing Caverns, Deadmines, you name it. I'm not a big fan of the dungeon finder but at least it got rid of the need for random boosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Started pre TBC. Didn't play much as wasn't good at it and could choose a character I liked. Once TBC came out I changed to Blood Elf Paladin and loved it. Have stuck with the Pala ever since.

Did Hardcore raiding in TBC and WOTLK. Was the first Blood Elf to level 80 and also the first Paladin to level 80.

Went quiet after Cata and didn't play at all after I did some of the raids. Only got MoP 2 days ago and i'm just leveling my Pala to 90.

So I basically went from Hardcore raider, to casual, to feck all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Have played on and off- maybe 1 year off in total, since 2008. Don't have a huge amount of character as preferred to focus on one or two. Got really into raiding in TBC but took a break after and didn't have the time to get back into it.

Enjoyed MoP but haven't played in about 1 month as finished most of the content and got really bored with the rep grinds. Will start again with new expansion.

One thing thats struck me about WoW in the last couple of years, is how seldom you come across a new player. I cant remember the last time I came across anyone new. I guess its daunting for new players, considering the amount of content there is now.

• Advertisement

I think its the fact that WoW is being around so long that nearly everyone who would have an interest in it has already tried it at some point. A lot of people play on private servers too.

I think its the fact that WoW is being around so long that nearly everyone who would have an interest in it has already tried it at some point. A lot of people play on private servers too.

Yeah, not sure if we're allowed to mention those on here but those private servers are pretty cool and a real trip down memory lane!

I believe it's in the charter that we cannot, threads have been closed before because of it so I wouldn't to be safe.

Not being aloud to talk about something is against some sort of human right or law Im sure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Not being aloud to talk about something is against some sort of human right or law Im sure :p

So is the stuff they are talking about talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Started in 2007 as my first ever MMO. I was absolutely useless at it (human warrior) and had a friend who was very enthusiastic for me to play pretty much work my character for me. After a few months of faffing about, I re-rolled a spellcaster (can't actually remember which one as I deleted the character) and thus the addiction sank in. I won't go into details, but when I say addiction, I actually mean addiction. I ended up having to take a year out of the game, and came back for WotLK. I made a nelf druid and had a much more enjoyable, reasonably-paced experience with no need to dehydrate myself to avoid the risk of bathroom breaks :p
    I maxed level, specced dps and started raiding with my guild. I was one of the highest dps in the realm for my class at the time, and when I got bored of that, I dabbled in healing, which was my dream come true.
    When Cata came out I picked it up at a midnight release with my then boyfriend, and I made my first mistake - I rolled a worgen instead of working to 85 on my main. I've never caught up since, was always two steps behind the guild, a smidgen too low in ilvl to raid with them and I slowly got lost and disinterested. Tried character after character after character and just couldn't fall in love with it again. I now have my level 90, and am holding out for the new expansion, where I might actually get to end-game content once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I've been playing since about 5/6 months pre-TBC. I leveled a Night Elf Hunter to 31 in that time. What a game it was back then. Stranglethorn Vale was the ****! I played on Bloodhoof EU back then. I had just started secondary school so I wasn't in to the whole raiding scene at that stage.

God I miss those days. No MMO to date has given me that same feeling when playing in a new world that Vanilla and TBC gave me.

Spot on. Played from launch until early WotLK, pretty hardcore - completed Ahn'Qiraj (weirdest place ever) and some of Naxx. TBC took things to a new level. I think the guild had had enough after TBC really. We all were a bit too old for it and it was pretty much just more of the same - new rep to grind, new items to farm etc.. We just moved on. Plenty of other games to play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have not played in a while. Been around since the start but got board after Lich King. Thinking back the other day about playing WOW for the first time. No other game has ever created that experience and im not sure any will. There was just something about the game that sucked you in. Maybe it was the world creation but it just had something special.. Someone mentioned earlier about seeing the pirate ship in deadmines for the first time, that was epic... Every now and then Ill resub for a month to see if I can get back into it. But its just not the same..:(

Glebee wrote: »
    Have not played in a while. Been around since the start but got board after Lich King. Thinking back the other day about playing WOW for the first time. No other game has ever created that experience and im not sure any will. There was just something about the game that sucked you in. Maybe it was the world creation but it just had something special.. Someone mentioned earlier about seeing the pirate ship in deadmines for the first time, that was epic... Every now and then Ill resub for a month to see if I can get back into it. But its just not the same..:(

yeah Deadmines was my first instance, I'll never forget it - didnt have a clue what i was doing so just mashed buttons and hoped for the best! Good times. Shame the game has become so diluted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    yeah Deadmines was my first instance, I'll never forget it - didnt have a clue what i was doing so just mashed buttons and hoped for the best! Good times. Shame the game has become so diluted.

if you want a challenge, go try the Challenge Mode dungeons. Tried my first one the other night and we wiped about 7/8 times. It's great fun!

Advertisement