Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Speed Testing Hardware

Options
  • 24-09-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would recommend people sign up to this:
    https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/requirements

They send you a free box, which is used to test your internet speeds. After 2 years you get to keep the box. They do not monitor what you download, instead they test your connection when you are not using it.

To check your own statistics you log on to a website where your info is uploaded. As they do not monitor how much or what you download I assume they cannot show you statistics on how much you have downloaded. The tests they do, check your internet speed, jitter and other statistics that see how good your connection really is vs what the provider claims.

The box uses open source code and after 2 years you can probably reflash it with openwrt and use it as a free access point.

My box is arriving in a few weeks. I will try update the thread with results and feedback. I suggest you sign up now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Nice idea. Shame it only applies to fixed line (DSL, fibre). It it included cable and fixed wireless it would be worth it

cunnijo wrote: »
    Nice idea. Shame it only applies to fixed line (DSL, fibre). It it included cable and fixed wireless it would be worth it

It applies to Cable. Not 100% sure if it covers fixed wireless, but I wouldn't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

roast wrote: »
    It applies to Cable. Not 100% sure if it covers fixed wireless, but I wouldn't see why not.

It deffo applies to cable. The requirements are:
    You have a fixed line broadband Internet connection to your home.

From that I would gather fixed wireless is not allowed, nor mobile or satellite broadband.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It deffo applies to cable. The requirements are:

From that I would gather fixed wireless is not allowed, nor mobile or satellite broadband.

Aye, you'd figure that.
    I'd understand the whole anti-mobile/satellite connections, but Fixed Wireless? I'd consider that an important sector to measure. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

My unit arrived today by an post registered post. Attached are the installation instructions as a pdf

Mine is the more expensive TP-WDR3600 as I have 100Mb internet and Gigabit local network.It appears to be brand new as it still has the plastic on it. It is a relatively long device with 2 USB ports in addition to WAN and LAN ports.

This unit has 5Ghz wireless in addition to 2.4Ghz wireless. It should therefore detect activity on 5Ghz band which is an option on most UPC routers, although the way I have my network configured all traffic will go through this device and into a seperate dedicated wireless access point.

It will take a while before I have any statistics to share.

Just to give an update a few months on.

I have been getting regular (monthly) reports on my broadband performance. The first EU report on broadband speeds in general across Europe was published:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/news/quality-broadband-services-eu-samknows-study-internet-speeds

There is a PDF at the bottom of the page with loads more details. In particular page 41 shows the number of testers in each country with Ireland having around 120 people providing statistics. There may still be room for others to sign up at this late stage, but probably they are more interested in users in Estonia!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'd love to sign up for this, I'll give it a go anyway and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I have been in this program for 2 years today so the router is mine to keep now:-)

This is the one I have http://www.engadget.com/products/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd/

Its been great to see my speeds broken down and interegated over the past few years really helpful info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

zg3409 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would recommend people sign up to this:
    https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/requirements

They send you a free box, which is used to test your internet speeds. After 2 years you get to keep the box. They do not monitor what you download, instead they test your connection when you are not using it.
    Some interesting findings from that report...
    http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/cf/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=4996

Page 86 of 111
    Figure EU.2.1: Actual Download Speed of xDSL technology as a Percentage of Advertised Speed during peak
    Ireland 49.98%

Figure EU.2.3: Actual Download Speed of cable technology as a Percentage of Advertised Speed during peak
    Ireland 85.10%
    As mentioned above, nations where cable services are more common tend to achieve figures closer to the advertised rate. While xDSL is quite common throughout Europe, it is much more likely to deliver a lower level of performance compared to cable and FTTx. This is due to access speed degrading with increasing copper loop lengths. Countries such as the UK and France, which deliver some of the poorest performances for xDSL, perform better for other technologies, with the UK also exceeding the average for cable.

Some interesting findings from that report...
    Page 86 of 111
    Figure EU.2.1: Actual Download Speed of xDSL technology as a Percentage of Advertised Speed during peak
    Ireland 49.98%

Figure EU.2.3: Actual Download Speed of cable technology as a Percentage of Advertised Speed during peak
    Ireland 85.10%

I think this is fairly normal. On a phone line "up to" rarely means you will ever get 24Mb. This fact has been made worse, as in the old days they only had up to 8Mb which was often achievable, to get 24Mb you would probably need to be within 20 metres of the exchange, which is not realistic for 99.9% of users.

Cable modems however for download all need to operate at the same speed meaning everyone on the system generally will be capable of the same download speed. In many areas UPC are running old equipment with maximum speeds of 20Mb, 50Mb etc. There can also be the problem where people are using old modems which cannot "bond" all the downstream channels meaning they may not get max speeds.

On cable, upload sychronises based on line quality so actual upload depends on the quality of the signal, and also system capability, meaning speed will vary house to house.

The big issue with cable is that all users are sharing the one network so speed reductions at peak times are inevitable. I heard that the newest UPCs network can handle 5Gb shared between a few hundred houses meaning they have capacity to increase speeds further. However if they do offer 1Gbps speeds, without upgrading anything speed reductions at peak times will become worse. They also have the ability to remove TV channels to increase internet capacity, their network is quite future proof.

I often urge dsl users to check the distance from their home to the exchange, as a rough guide to potential dsl speeds. In many cases other methods will give better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Just signed up for it, says i will have it in 2 weeks :)

They are still looking for more people to sign up here:
    https://www.samknows.eu/sign-up/

Advertisement