Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bayonetta 2 Cancelled Rumour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye, I posted this in the Gaming News thread. Major bummer if true although between Anarchy Reigns and MG: Revengence at least we should get some decent brawlers from Platinum in the next year or so.
    according to eurogamer cause of sega restructure they shelved bayonetta 2 , i for one dont believe it till sega say it themselves
    i highly doubt sega would drop a new ip that went on and broke 1.3million sales, despite what people think about sega they wouldnt do it.
    so im taken this with a grain of salt.
    It completely depends on the development costs though. Bayonetta was in development for a rather prolonged period of time, from early 2007 if memory serves me correctly, which would mean around two and a half years. Not only that but Platinum only developed the 360 version in-house so Sega handed the PS3 port job to Nex further adding to the costs. All things considered, I'd imagine they expected to sell over a million at that rate. :o
    Hideki Kamiya came out and said keep and eye on magazines
    a game that has not being announced cannot be cancelled
    That's just blatantly untrue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

gizmo wrote: »
    Aye, I posted this in the Gaming News thread. Major bummer if true although between Anarchy Reigns and MG: Revengence at least we should get some decent brawlers from Platinum in the next year or so.

It completely depends on the development costs though. Bayonetta was in development for a rather prolonged period of time, from early 2007 if memory serves me correctly, which would mean around two and a half years. Not only that but Platinum only developed the 360 version in-house so Sega handed the PS3 port job to Nex further adding to the costs. All things considered, I'd imagine they expected to sell over a million at that rate. :o

That's just blatantly untrue. :)

you might be correct but just cant see bayonetta 2 is cancelled by sega hands , i know they had only a certain amount of time publishing platinum games , maybe bayonetta 2 see published by someone else or not , we will see what happens next week

you might be correct but just cant see bayonetta 2 is cancelled by sega hands , i know they had only a certain amount of time publishing platinum games , maybe bayonetta 2 see published by someone else or not , we will see what happens next week
    Sega owns the IP to every game they worked with Platinum so that won't be happening unfortunately. :(

Sega owns the IP to every game they worked with Platinum so that won't be happening unfortunately. :(

well then, bayonetta 2 coming , mark my words gizmo , our great grand children will look upon this day as bayonetta 2 sparked the resurrection and freshness of the hack n slash genre :D

well then, bayonetta 2 coming , mark my words gizmo , our great grand children will look upon this day as bayonetta 2 sparked the resurrection and freshness of the hack n slash genre :D
    I would love nothing than to see it come. It's just that the more I look at sales figures for Bayonetta, Vanquish, Shadow Of the Damned and Binary Domain, the lack of interest for Lollipop Chainsaw and Anarchy Reigns and the level of scepticism over Revengence, it makes me slightly less hopefully :(

• Advertisement

I would love nothing than to see it come. It's just that the more I look at sales figures for Bayonetta, Vanquish, Shadow Of the Damned and Binary Domain, the lack of interest for Lollipop Chainsaw and Anarchy Reigns and the level of scepticism over Revengence, it makes me slightly less hopefully :(

there is a lack of love for japan , that much is true , was only few months ago i posted a lollipop chainsaw thread here and got merely 5-6 comments :(, its why i have a concern for the western audience for market when it just over flowing with Fps clones of each other just with a different skin, hell even rayman origins sold very very poorly. every game you mentioned above i bought and loved even have a deep love for yakuza , some of the best games this gen has to offer yet they are not getting the recognition it deserves, people would rather eat up black ops 2 :(, ya cant tell how people should spend their money but if more people bought these fresh new ips than these fps games i be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't mind, I don't think every successful game should have a sequel. In this case I'd prefer the developers to come up with something else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

there is a lack of love for japan , that much is true , was only few months ago i posted a lollipop chainsaw thread here and got merely 5-6 comments :(, its why i have a concern for the western audience for market when it just over flowing with Fps clones of each other just with a different skin, hell even rayman origins sold very very poorly. every game you mentioned above i bought and loved even have a deep love for yakuza , some of the best games this gen has to offer yet they are not getting the recognition it deserves, people would rather eat up black ops 2 :(, ya cant tell how people should spend their money but if more people bought these fresh new ips than these fps games i be happy

Utterly loved bayonetta but its really not going to appeal to a broad audience over here. Its completely unapologetic about its gameplay, learn to play or die. You cannot mash through it and the easy automatic mode removes all fun from the game entirely.

A breath of fresh air for me, but I don't think many felt that way.
    I think its one of the best games this generation, as do you, but most don't, sad but true. If it gets a sequel, I'll be all over it, as I assumed that it'd never happen.

ive seen people on eurogamer, ign, gamespot , here and few other places who whine and complain and petition then bad mouth companies when they cater to their own first cause they know its gonna sell there more or it doesnt come out over here at all.
    for instance operation rainfall , group of gamers coming together cause they want xenoblade, last story and pandoras tower,great but after a week of a announcement xenoblade hype died , last stroy barely got any mention soon after and pandora tower failed to even break into uk top 40 charts.
    i guess us who love japans style still and i wont say are fed up of blockbuster/mainstream titles but go tired of them at least for me , miss the freshness on how gaming was when it was fun and didnt take itself to seriously.
    look at bayonetta and lollipop chainsaw , it was over the top crazy combo style stuff that like a breath of fresh air, theres needs to be more of that again. i expect japan to move to handhelds market soon . small of us will be upset but we know how are to blame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I didn't even realise there were talks of a sequel to Bayonetta. The game certainly deserves one. It was one of the best action games I've played this gen. I'd love to see more of the same.

Also on the subject of games that deserve a sequel- Gimme some more Vanquish and BulletStorm!

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    I didn't even realise there were talks of a sequel to Bayonetta. The game certainly deserves one. It was one of the best action games I've played this gen. I'd love to see more of the same.

Also on the subject of games that deserve a sequel- Gimme some more Vanquish and BulletStorm!
    No Bulletstorm either, it too sold like total ass. :(

No Bulletstorm either, it too sold like total ass. :(

Which is all types of a pity, because it was phenomenal fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't Bayonetta wrap up the story fairly well? Wonder how they would approach a sequel

Edit: No sequel to Bulletstorm? Well, that's a pile of balls. That was a fun game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

i guess us who love japans style still and i wont say are fed up of blockbuster/mainstream titles but go tired of them at least for me , miss the freshness on how gaming was when it was fun and didnt take itself to seriously.
    look at bayonetta and lollipop chainsaw , it was over the top crazy combo style stuff that like a breath of fresh air, theres needs to be more of that again. i expect japan to move to handhelds market soon . small of us will be upset but we know how are to blame :(

Some of my fondest memories of childhood gaming were seeing the previews of the big new games coming for the NES, SNES and Megadrive, with screenshots where the in-game text was in hiragana. I miss the days when the big console games were Japanese, and the big Western games were on the PC.:(

J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't Bayonetta wrap up the story fairly well? Wonder how they would approach a sequel

Edit: No sequel to Bulletstorm? Well, that's a pile of balls. That was a fun game.

Story wasn't exactly Bayonetta's strong poing though... Because it was fairly pants in that aspect. They could easily throw something together there. The action was simply outstanding though.

Kinski wrote: »
    Some of my fondest memories of childhood gaming were seeing the previews of the big new games coming for the NES, SNES and Megadrive, with screenshots where the in-game text was in hiragana. I miss the days when the big console games were Japanese, and the big Western games were on the PC.:(

I see a problem where consoles are treated like pc now adays , console games are a dying breed and only this gen are getting overlooked , too many times ya see japan trying to cater to the west audience instead of being japanesse . Pc and console went on their seperate ways but pc and console there is no distinction anymore , new breed of gamers have come in and ruined everyone fun, we vote as consumers with our wallets too bad theres more out their that are dismissing the gems and buying the cashins.
    Even skyward sword , flagship title for nintendo sold 3.25 million copies , although to us its high its lowest a console zelda title i have seen from a console with 95million household, the way we play games in the past will soon be gone if things dont change, japan is and always being the backbone of the industry but the west are treating japan like the appendix . Journalist are the worst for it writing doom articles all the time , drop points on a game but give another game higher score even though it suffers from the same problem.
    Im blaming cod again cause when that came out gaming became mainstream , worst thing is these days you are told you are uncool if ya play mario or sonic and labelled kiddy , all brutes wanna play rambo these days cause military soliders are awesome ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I see a problem where consoles are treated like pc now adays , console games are a dying breed and only this gen are getting overlooked , too many times ya see japan trying to cater to the west audience instead of being japanesse . Pc and console went on their seperate ways but pc and console there is no distinction anymore , new breed of gamers have come in and ruined everyone fun, we vote as consumers with our wallets too bad theres more out their that are dismissing the gems and buying the cashins.
    Even skyward sword , flagship title for nintendo sold 3.25 million copies , although to us its high its lowest a console zelda title i have seen from a console with 95million household, the way we play games in the past will soon be gone if things dont change, japan is and always being the backbone of the industry but the west are treating japan like the appendix . Journalist are the worst for it writing doom articles all the time , drop points on a game but give another game higher score even though it suffers from the same problem.
    Im blaming cod again cause when that came out gaming became mainstream , worst thing is these days you are told you are uncool if ya play mario or sonic and labelled kiddy , all brutes wanna play rambo these days cause military soliders are awesome ..

The success of the Xbox probably has more to do with it than anything else. If you look at the last gen, you had the PS2 (which many consider to have had the best games catalogue of any console ever) with many top Japanese titles, plus some console-orientated Western stuff like GTA, and you also still had a brilliant FPS like Half-Life 2 on PC. That will probably go down as the end of the golden age of gaming.

People moan about the popularity of FPSs these days, but I love FPS games - or at least I did, until they all turned into console games. I had hours of fun with Doom, Quake 1&2, Duke Nukem, Half-Life...even the less-than-stellar FPS games back then were often pretty decent. But I don't want to play those games with a joypad, or with truncated single-player modes (to allow focus on multiplayer), or with generic war-zone or space marine settings. And the level-design has been dumbed-down across the board, while the improvement of enemy AI is seemingly no longer a priority. In short, a once great PC genre is now a mediocre but lucrative console one.

I've had much more fun with Sin & Punishment: SOTS on the Wii than with any FPS this gen - when a niche-interest, arcadey Japanese rail-shooter is more fun than a big budget Western FPS, you're looking a genre that's creatively bankrupt.

Rather relevant opinion piece just got posted on EDGE: Why we need Bayonetta 2.

Kinski wrote: »
    The success of the Xbox probably has more to do with it than anything else. If you look at the last gen, you had the PS2 (which many consider to have had the best games catalogue of any console ever) with many top Japanese titles, plus some console-orientated Western stuff like GTA, and you also still had a brilliant FPS like Half-Life 2 on PC. That will probably go down as the end of the golden age of gaming.

People moan about the popularity of FPSs these days, but I love FPS games - or at least I did, until they all turned into console games. I had hours of fun with Doom, Quake 1&2, Duke Nukem, Half-Life...even the less-than-stellar FPS games back then were often pretty decent. But I don't want to play those games with a joypad, or with truncated single-player modes (to allow focus on multiplayer), or with generic war-zone or space marine settings. And the level-design has been dumbed-down across the board, while the improvement of enemy AI is seemingly no longer a priority. In short, a once great PC genre is now a mediocre but lucrative console one.

I've had much more fun with Sin & Punishment: SOTS on the Wii than with any FPS this gen - when a niche-interest, arcadey Japanese rail-shooter is more fun than a big budget Western FPS, you're looking a genre that's creatively bankrupt.

If it were to be in movie way of thinking it be michael bays transformer films , great special effects and impressive explosions , too bad when you look past that its all dull with no substince

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

I hope they make another Bayonetta over some half assed Sonic episodic garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Bayonetta almost as much as every other game of this console generation combined, but I dont feel it needs a sequel. Its dangerously close to perfect, a transcendent experience. While Id play a sequel, and likey love it, nor do I need it. Because Bayonetta is a game that got it right first time around. Many argue that gaming is creatively bankrupt, and a sequel culture unheard of in other artistic industries is a key suspect.

Original games are rare, sometimes best kept that way.

Disclaimer: This post in no way negates my right to play and adore any Bayonetta sequels that may or may not exist.

Rather relevant opinion piece just got posted on EDGE: Why we need Bayonetta 2.

Edge although their reviews are biased at times nailed it in this article, this is it , maybe we are old school and not moving with the time or maybe the industry is going another route i just cant understand and cope, i choose other.
    If sega cancelled bayonetta 2 (im doubting) then its cause the genre is not worth it anymore :( , cause its a fact bayonetta is the best thing that happened to the genre in a long time , god of war is a empty shell compared to it .
    Its sad , even rpg games these days arent even rpg , merely action games with rpg elements ( im looking at you mass effect 3 )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bayonetta 2 might be cancelled but I doubt it will stop Hideki Kamiya making a spiritual successor, even if it is under a different publisher. Bayonetta was afterall the spiritual successor to DMC 3.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bayonetta 2 might be cancelled but I doubt it will stop Hideki Kamiya making a spiritual successor, even if it is under a different publisher. Bayonetta was afterall the spiritual successor to DMC 3.
    I think this is what I was worried about more, as the EDGE says, it's not so much the death of the Bayonetta IP that worries me, but the move away from that type of game. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think this is what I was worried about more, as the EDGE says, it's not so much the death of the Bayonetta IP that worries me, but the move away from that type of game. :(

You can console yourself with the fact that CoD BLOPS 2 is coming out.

I am ok with bayonetta being left on its own , but i share gizmo concern , its more of a freshness i want in the genre than worrying bout a sequel .

I think with japan focusing on handhelds that the variety they bring to gaming is really missed in the home consoles. There doesn't really seem to be a market for their games in the West either outside of smaller niche games that are marketed that way. When they pander to the west they can't match the western appeal and when they are at their best making japanese games then the ignorant masses just don't have an interest in their games. The Western console developers have also finally caught up with the japanese developers for quality so there isn't that gulf in quality between most western games and their japanese counterparts anymore.

Gamings gone mainstream I'm afraid. Thank god the handhelds are still great for japanese gaming and quirkiness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I, unforunately, have to wonder how many of Bayonetta's sales occured during the inevitable price-drops that followed where they mean much less than they do at launch (especially for a game of this profile and critical acclaim). It's a harsh world out there, and relatively big-budget games that have verve, originality and niche appeal are increasingly commercially disastrous. There are happy exceptions, but the resources required to reach a relatively niche audience are unrealistic in many cases. You have to remember the production values for Bayonetta are rather staggering: one of the few Japanese productions to pull such a feat off.

That God of War sells millions more copy than Bayonetta is a cause for despair, but no different to Transformers 4 selling more DVDs than Evangelion 2.0. The quality gap is painfully obvious, but this matter little in terms of marketing or audience.

All we can do, as gamers and fans, are to buy these games and support their release. If there's enough of it, somehow we might make some sort of impact. It would also be interesting to see Platinum side with more 'niche' publishers like Atlus, or perhaps even attempt some sort of crowd funding initiative. I know it's something I'd be more than willing to support them. Platinum are the one game developer I will not hesitate to pay full price for: because I know that these are the kind of games I want and need to encourage.

And, even in the worst case scenario, there's always Metal Gear Solid Rising.

Best we can do is keep pumping threads when eye catching japanesse games come out, and hopefully word of mouth will help sale few copies

• Advertisement

Hideki Kamiya was delighted with the sales of Bayonetta. Unfortunately I think he has much lower expectations on sales than Sega do.

Advertisement