Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil Line Damaged

Options
  • 27-03-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I knew this was an accident waiting to happen:D and it did over the weekend.

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

Someone stood on the oil line and curving it a bit. There is a weeping leak at both joints.

I've supported the pipe temporarily with bits of 2x1 and tightened the nuts, but may still be weeping. Wont know till tomorrow.

1. Is the joint in the centre of line made properly in the first place? I doubt it. Is it just push fit or heat shrunk.

2. How can I make the joints good again, and how much straightening up/give.... can the pipe take. (not used to this small bore pipe at all)

3. Any suggestions how I can protect the line. 2 concrete blocks each side and lid over it, for example.

tnks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

It is a standard compression fitting , you should turn off the oil supply at the tank and fit a new fitting in place of this one as the rings could be damaged on the pipe now , also have a look at the leak at the filter too .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Get a longer bit of pipe as you're at it and avoid a repeat of the problem, change the fitting on the filter to an elbow if you want to make it tidier.
    You can resuse the the existing fittings just cut back the pipe a little and use new cones (10mm.) use a little bit of thread tape as a sealent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

sullzz wrote: »
    It is a standard compression fitting , you should turn off the oil supply at the tank and fit a new fitting in place of this one as the rings could be damaged on the pipe now , also have a look at the leak at the filter too .

So just get new rings and remake the joint.

The leak at the filter is from the joint too, so new ring for this.

aujopimur: Get a longer bit of pipe as you're at it and avoid a repeat of the problem, change the fitting on the filter to an elbow if you want to make it tidier.
    You can resuse the the existing fittings just cut back the pipe a little and use new cones (10mm.) use a little bit of thread tape as a sealent.

Using an elbow and dropping the pipe is an excellent idea and longer bit of pipe.

1. Will I have to bleed the burner after doing this.
    2. If pipe is flat on the ground, will walking on it do any harm in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The fitting should be a flared fitting because it is soft copper for a start (OFTEC Regs)
    As suggested try extending the pipe onto the wall.

Oh and there's a dead rabbit behind the tank :D

JohnnieK wrote: »
    The fitting should be a flared fitting because it is soft copper for a start (OFTEC Regs)
    As suggested try extending the pipe onto the wall.

Oh and there's a dead rabbit behind the tank :D

Flared fitting:eek: no way hosey, be lucky to do a standard comp fitting at this stage:D

Will I have to bleed the burner!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Flared fitting:eek: no way hosey, be lucky to do a standard comp fitting at this stage:D

Will I have to bleed the burner!!!

Yep. you will have to bleed it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Use copper inserts with the compression fittings, always find amateur flaring can leak as bad as anything (takes a bit of practice to get em right)

Thread tape on it's own with oil doesn't work very well so would require a non-set sealant too!

DGOBS wrote: »
    Use copper inserts with the compression fittings, always find amateur flaring can leak as bad as anything (takes a bit of practice to get em right)

Thread tape on it's own with oil doesn't work very well so would require a non-set sealant too!

Copper inserts sounds like a good idea, what brand of not set sealant would you recommend or should I look out for.

Is the pipe joiner just a push fit joint like a wavin fitting:confused:

Use red lead or something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

DGOBS
    sullzz
    Use red lead or something similar

Good advice and also either structure around the pipe or put a small wall before it. Oil should never be allowed go into the ground, it is a serious pollutant.

• Advertisement

thanks guys that's great advice.

Just 2 questions:

Is that pipe joiner just a push tight fit where the ends enter the white pipe.

To what extent can I bend a new piece of oil line by hand without kinking it.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thanks guys that's great advice.

Just 2 questions:

Is that pipe joiner just a push tight fit where the ends enter the white pipe.

To what extent can I bend a new piece of oil line by hand without kinking it.

To bend copper by hand you would have a very long sweeped bend , even though it is soft copper it goes out of shape very easy .
    The brass fitting is a standard nut and ring fitting , the copper comes pre insulated in the white plastic coating , its called wicku ( probably spelt that wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You should think about also lower the slab from below the filter to provide full access for when cleaning the filter

You should think about also lower the slab from below the filter to provide full access for when cleaning the filter

Didn't know they were cleanable or even replaceable.:D

Thinking of running the new pipe line through a piece of 1.1/4" wavin for protection or maybe 1" wavin. Is there anything more flat and tough that I could use instead.

My garden is prone to kids retrieving balls and ocassional intruder unfortunately.:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Lol, this thread is starting to look like Oft101...lmao

DGOBS wrote: »
    Lol, this thread is starting to look like Oft101...lmao

Gawd your easily entertained...... maybe 'Trade Only' should be added to the title of this Forum.:p

Advertisement