Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ellen Films Show In Ireland For St. Patrick's Day

• 16-03-2012 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

POPULAR US TALK show host Ellen deGeneres is to film part of her St Patrick’s Day show from Dublin, it was revealed today.
    Ellen’s crew will host segments of the talk show from the Guinness Storehouse. Filming for the pre-recorded episodes began today and will continue through Sunday.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ellen-starts-filming-for-st-patricks-day-show-in-dublin-386231-Mar2012/

Well, I don't think she's funny and I don't really like her show but it could be good for tourism; or a huge cringefest.

Hopefully Bono doesn't show up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ellen is ok. Her wife is quite something.. Maybe portia de rossi will be about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I hate her with a passion and would not watch it, I bet she does a stupid Irish jig dance. We do not need Ellen promoting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

hondasam wrote: »
    I hate her with a passion and would not watch it, I bet she does a stupid Irish jig dance. We do not need Ellen promoting us.

We should be happy that somebody is promoting us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Can Portia promote us instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I think she's fcuking awesome, her coming out back in the 90 s changed the face of American tv and opened a lot of doors for the gay community in Hollywood.

And let's face it, her show is one of the if not THE biggest chat shows in America, a bit of free PR work from her wouldn't do us an ounce of harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's ok, she'll be swiggin' Jameson with Crystal Swing on Grafton Street, she'll fit right in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Considering her show is one of the most popular in the USA, if she films how ~awesome~ paddys day is in Ireland - I can see that helping tourism in Ireland around this time next year.

Now...she has to find a way to make St Patricks Day here actually look good. New York blows us out of the water and it'd be cheaper and more convenient for Americans to travel there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hope they don't make us out to be a bunch of twinkly eyed leprechauns puffing on clay pipes and sprouting top o the morning to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I hope they don't make us out to be a bunch of twinkly eyed leprechauns puffing on clay pipes and sprouting top o the morning to ya.

if it attracts a few thousand extra tourists to these shores i'm not too bothered how we come across on american TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I don't see how it can be a bad thing. As said, she is hugely popular in the US so no harm in her promoting Ireland and I am sure she will do it in a positive light.

I really don't get the whole 'we don't need her promoting us' mantra - she is doing more than anyone else on here about promoting Ireland as a tourist destination.

Some people will seriously moan about anything. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I couldn't pick her out in a lineup but I've read that its a fairly popular show in yankland so thank fcuk they're pre-recording and not broadcasting live from the piss/vomit strewn cesspit that will be Dublin on the actual day. It'll just be a load of diddly dee with leprechauns and the likes as opposed to what actually happens i.e. Bart Simpson locked, walking at an angle that disproves gravity down Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It's ok, she'll be swiggin' Jameson with Crystal Swing on Grafton Street, she'll fit right in.....

AFAIK she won't actually be here herself. Just some pre-recorded footage from Dublin on her show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Kolido wrote: »
    AFAIK she won't actually be here herself. Just some pre-recorded footage from Dublin on her show.
    WHAT??
    But I've made a 'WELCOME ELLEN' banner! It was all nice colours and glitter and everything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I hope it can't be worse than this :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Nearly as bad as that other Gimp, Conan O'Brien. Jesus he once wrote for The Simpsons (good stuff). He is a clown. I see where Ryan Tubs gets his inspiration from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

If you took all the holloring and clapping out of the Ellen show it would be about 10 minutes long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

gazzer wrote: »
    If you took all the holloring and clapping out of the Ellen show it would be about 10 minutes long.

With ads....it's down to thirty seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ireland definitley does not need that "i think im funny because i like to munch rug" fcukwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

theteal wrote: »
    i.e. Bart Simpson locked, walking at an angle that disproves gravity down Dame St.
    This gave me a giggle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Once Ellen has done her crab dance in the middle of the city, it will never be the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

while were talking about patricks day. I was watching this last night.

Do ye agree with what they say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKa3GUrtBxU&feature=g-all-u&context=G27b6fd7FAAAAAAAABAA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think it's great that Americans will get to see some actual footage of Ireland and Irish people, which they don't really get to see too often.

I wouldn't be the biggest Ellen fan but I've no animosity towards her and I don't get the anger about her coming here before they've probably even shot any footage, and certainly before anyone's seen anything. Let's wait till then before we decided it's "all diddly-dee Leprechaun nonsense," which will be hard to find in Dublin.

I just hope Ellen isn't too disappointed when she realises that the mother in Crystal Swing was lying when she told her everyone in Ireland watches her chat show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Sindri wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ellen-starts-filming-for-st-patricks-day-show-in-dublin-386231-Mar2012/

Well, I don't think she's funny and I don't really like her show but it could be good for tourism; or a huge cringefest.

Hopefully Bono doesn't show up.

so should we expect an influx of lesbian americans coming into ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

It's ok, she'll be swiggin' Jameson with Crystal Swing in Grafton Street the george, she'll fit right in.....

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

beks101 wrote: »
    I think she's fcuking awesome, her coming out back in the 90 s changed the face of American tv and opened a lot of doors for the gay community in Hollywood.

And let's face it, her show is one of the if not THE biggest chat shows in America, a bit of free PR work from her wouldn't do us an ounce of harm.

I like her, but let's face it - if he didn't come out as a lesbian she wouldn't be where she is now.

People eat that sh!t up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bleedin' lessers coming over here increasing our publicity. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I like her, but let's face it - if he didn't come out as a lesbian she wouldn't be where she is now.

People eat that sh!t up!
    The truth is back in the 90's ellen had an brilliant sitcom based on observational humour and social akwardness.After she came out at the end of season 4, her show was seen as too gay by the conservatives and was soon cancelled ruining her career at the time.This was despite the fact that the coming out episode itself won multiple awards and became a cult phenomenon!

A few years ago she returned like a pheonix from the ashes with the ellen talkshow.Although i'm a massive fan of her sitcom and standup routines i'll admit the talkshows a bit crap and i don't watch it, since it's aimed at the "oprah audience" demographic,so she's really just responding to what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Ellen is ok. Her wife is quite something.. Maybe portia de rossi will be about
    Nah, Ellen will be up to her ears in red carpet.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

We should be happy that somebody is promoting us

LOADS of people are promoting us. They're green-lighting buildings around the world for tomorrow.

But I can't see how this would harm us. I'm sure it'll be twiddly-dee oirish-y but it'll probably encourage some tourism, and there'll be some money from her and her entourage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ireland is awesome.

I love my country me.

Advertisement