Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

CAGE CONTENDER XIII : BELFAST : 28 APRIL 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Pccb wrote: »
    Why is owen fightig a pet doctor from ufc john? Lol
    Roddy never disappoints and is rightly top of the food chain

To be fair Roddy is top of the domestic food chain in his division!! In fact reading the list of CC champions I believe they all are!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Why is owen fightig a pet doctor from ufc john? Lol
    Roddy never disappoints and is rightly top of the food chain

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

UFC vet? I'll take a wild guess at Dave Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Rodney Moore (Next Gen NI) -v- Dean "The Boogeyman" Lister

BANTAMWEIGHT GRAND PRIX
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney -v- Paddy "The Holigan" Holohan (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Greg "The Hitman" Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Tom "The Quiet Man" Maguire (SBGi/Spirit MMA)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Michael Shiel (SBGi) -v- Conor "DaCrook" Cooke (Red Dragon)

Some really great fights right there, all potential fight of the night. Fingers crossed everyone stays injury free unlike the jinxed Dublin card.

I think Dean Lister is taking Moore's ankle clean off.

Rooney and Holohan is a really close enough fight. It could go either way.

Loughran is a cut above and i think this could be a decisive submission win.

JMS is a big guy and looks to be getting better and better. Hard to look past him here, probably by strikes.

197431.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rodney looks deadly, he must have put some great work in for this fight

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

HEAVYWEIGHT

Nial Houston (FAI) -v- Piotr Nowaki (CSC)

197699.jpg

CAGE CONTENDER HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

Neil "Old Skool" Wain -v- Colin "Big C" Robinson (Next Gen NI)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

BANTAMWEIGHT GRAND PRIX

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Greg "The Hitman" Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Tom "The Quiet Man" Maguire (SBGi/Spirit MMA)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Dec "The Bandit" Larkin (S.I) -v-TBC

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Bogusz Pochylski (Husaria) -v- Caolin Shivers (S.I)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Karl Moore (FAI) -v- TBC

PRELIM CARD

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Stephen Kilfin (FAI) -v- Alan Kavanagh (Husaria)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Colum McCann (Elite) -v- TBC

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Joe McColgan (FAI) -v- Levi Kehoe (SBGi)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Gavin "Heamie" Kelly (Evolve) -v- Dee Dee Murray (FAI)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Mark Hall (PHK) -v- Adie Cathcart (Red Dragon)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Nial Smyth (Red Dragon) -v- Martin Kelly (PHK)

HEAVYWEIGHT

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Cooke versus Sheil for fight of the night.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Cooke versus Sheil for fight of the night.

A few people have mentioned this one to me. Both guys are known for great stand up and heavy hands! JMS is getting some great publicity due to the way he dispatched Ross Pointon last time out, will be an interesting one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Have to agree, this could be thye fight of the night alright.
    A few people have mentioned this one to me. Both guys are known for great stand up and heavy hands! JMS is getting some great publicity due to the way he dispatched Ross Pointon last time out, will be an interesting one imo.

I was very close to picking this fight myself, i personally think Paddy and Damo are a higher standard fight and thats why i piocked that 1, but the Cooke v Shiels fight is 2 good fighters and could be a war

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Have to agree, this could be thye fight of the night alright.

I was very close to picking this fight myself, i personally think Paddy and Damo are a higher standard fight and thats why i piocked that 1, but the Cooke v Shiels fight is 2 good fighters and could be a war

I still gotta agree with you Paul. Paddy and Damo is still my pick at this stage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pccb

I must say im lookin forward to seeing this guy TBC fighting. Hes fighting 3 times in one night, he must b a tough sob

I must say im lookin forward to seeing this guy TBC fighting. Hes fighting 3 times in one night, he must b a tough sob

:D He seems like one of the more busy fighters on the circuit at the minute to be fair!! Maybe we are missing a trick, we should have a TBC tourney where no one knows who's fighting until the curtain is pulled back? Sort of WWE style! Maybe even introduce some tag team action!!

Unfortunately Tom "The Quiet Man" Maguire has withdrawn from his planned fight with Greg "The Hitman" Loughran due to work commitments. While we are dissapointed we fully understand Tom's decision and look forward to seeing him on one of our cards soon.

The hope is that we will find another match up for Greg this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

The hope is that we will find another match up for Greg this week.
    Thats unfortunate, will greg be fighting TBC aswell so! :pac:

Any more updates to the card?

The second Cage Contender event in a row features on Sherdog's 10 tussles.

Dean Lister vs. Rodney Moore
    Cage Contender 13 | April 28 -- Belfast, Northern Ireland

Heading into last year’s Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships finals, few experts gave old wolf Lister a chance against the new breed of Brazilian light heavyweights like Rodolfo Vieira, Joao Assis or Antonio Braga Neto. They appeared too big, too strong and too technical. Yet Lister, the competition’s 2003 absolute division gold medalist, submitted everybody en route to his second title. Now, the 36-year-old wants to give MMA fighting another go. He is slated to face Irish MMA legend Moore in the main event of Cage Contender 13.

LINK TO FULL FEATURE

***** CAGE CONTENDER XIII in association with FIGHTSHOP.com *****

200304.jpg

Neil "Old Skool" Wain -v- Colin "Big C" Robinson (Next Gen NI)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

BANTAMWEIGHT GRAND PRIX

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Greg "The Hitman" Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Jorge Santos (MMA Lucan)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Karl Moore (FAI) -v- TBC

PRELIM CARD

FEATHERWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Gavin "Heamie" Kelly (Evolve) -v- Dee Dee Murray (FAI)

WELTERWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT

HEAVYWEIGHT

• Advertisement

Baz’s Cage Contender XIII preview and predictions

200353.jpg

Neil “Old Skool” Wain -v- Colin “Big C” Robinson (Next Gen NI)
    Man mountain versus man dolmen. This will make me very unpopular with Northern fight fans but I am going to pick Wain to win in a carbon copy of the first fight. I don’t think there’s a sprawl in existence that can stop a giant like Wain taking you down in the first 6-8 minutes of a fight. I’d like to see Colin prove me wrong, but my head says that Wain will have too much in the early rounds for him and will win by decision.
    My pick: Wain by decision

Rodney Moore (Next Gen NI) -v- Dean “The Boogeyman” Lister

This is a saucy little number. Let me lay some biased cards on the table and say that when I was starting out in the world of MMA Dean Lister was one of those guys I used to really enjoy watching, and that I’m delighted to have him in Ireland as he’s coming to train in my gym the week after. There, full disclosure. Now for the meat and bones. This is Lister’s to lose and everyone including Rodney Moore knows this. However Rodney has over a decade of footage of Lister’s fights to plan for, and he’s in amazing shape. If he can keep this one on the feet, he stands a chance, but if Lister can bring it to the mat this could be over quick as a flash. Rod is an excellent grappler but he won’t be able to live with Lister once the fight goes near sea level, which it inevitably will at some stage.
    My pick: Lister by submission round 2.

Damien “The Rage” Rooney -v- Paddy “The Holigan” Holohan (SBGi)

I am a fan of both of these guys and when they signed for Cage Contender this was a match I knew had to happen soon. It took a bit longer than I wanted but here it is at last and that leaves me with an awkward decision to make. Hoolahan is a livewire on the mat and I’m on record as saying that his cage control single legs are as good as you’ll see at any level in MMA. Once it’s on the deck I think he’ll have the advantage, but on the feet I think Rooney has a far greater arsenal. However, I think Rooney’s game planning needs work and he could benefit from some greater experience in his corner. If he’d changed tactics earlier in the Seery match he would have had his hand raised. This is going to be a cracker but I’m going to edge it to Hoolahan.
    My pick: Hoolahan by decision

Greg “The Hitman” Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Jorge Santos (MMA Lucan)

I think Greg has consistently been one of Ireland’s best since the dawn of MMA time, and I’m delighted to get to see him so regularly now. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Santos is taking this at very late notice but has been preparing and training hard for a bout in May. But still I don’t see this going any other way than Greg Loughran’s who I think will have far too many tools in the box for Santos. Greg to keep it on the feet, control the clinch and finish this with strikes in the second.
    My pick: Loughran by stoppage rd.2

John Michael Shiel (SBGi) -v- Conor “DaCrook” Cooke (Red Dragon)

Well well well. If it isn’t me oul mate JMS. There can’t be a fighter in Europe who would look forward to fighting this guy. He’s going to stand in front of you and throw lots and lots of things that hurt at you, and not care very much when you do likewise. Something you probably didn’t know about Shiel is that there’s actually a tremendous amount of skill in what he does and in the manner in which he finds his range. However I think Conor Cooke is one of the best boxers I’ve seen on the Irish circuit so this will be an interesting battle. Sooner or later, Shiel might have to pay for wanting to stand and bang so much, but I don’t think it will be this time. I can see him taking this to the clinch as he did with Fadipe and working his less vaunted but equally fierce round and pound skills.
    My pick: Shiel by stoppage rd.1

I have never seen this guy Shivers live but I know a good bit about him and coming out of the SI camp you know he’ll be tough. He’s fighting an extremely unorthodox fighter in Pochylski. This guy, I can’t figure out. Sometimes I look at him and think he’s looking good, and then other times he does something that leaves me scratching my head. His spinning kicks get the crowd oohing and ahhing but often they lead to him being put on his back. I think this is where the fight will end up and I’m going to pick Shivers for a 3rd round GnP win.
    My pick: Shivers by stoppage rd3

Karl Moore (FAI) -v- TBC

PRELIM CARD

Two guys I’ve seen before and I’d expect Kilfin to take this one. All I see on Facebook are the guys from FAI photoshopping him in a variety of suggestive poses so I guess he must be either tough, or really sexy to his team mates. Kavanagh looked a little sluggish the last time I saw him so I’ll have to go against him.
    My pick: Kilfin by TKO rd.2

I’m told that Kehoe just won’t be stopped in training, like the T1000, so I suppose that makes McColgan either John Connor or Arnie. I guess we’ll see which on the 28th. I’ve just tossed a coin and it said “Kehoe”. No it didn’t it said “heads” but I had previously stated that “heads=Kehoe” I just didn’t feel the need to share it with you until now. Anyway, the Gods of chance have spoken on this one.
    My pick: Kehoe by decision

Gavin “Heamie” Kelly (Evolve) -v- Dee Dee Murphy (FAI)

This one is the pick of the undercard for me, so watch out. Murphy I’ve seen twice and both times he was impressive. I like the look of this guy and I’m told he’s only a nipper too. Kelly is another I’ve been watching from afar, like a stalker, and I’ve been impressed with his performances. I’ve high hopes for this one but I’m going to go with Murphy on the basis that I saw him take a 3 round win over the very tough Paul Alymer last year which I think will stand him in good stead.
    My pick: Murphy by decision

With these guys starts the guesswork. My trusty coin says Cathcart. I’ll pick him to win by TKO in 2.
    My pick: Cathcart by TKO rd.2

You can’t make this up. I tossed the coin. It slipped out of my hand, it landed on it’s edge leaning against my printer. I’m not a superstitious man, but I am struggling to make a decision here so…
    My pick: Draw

Niall Houston (FAI) -v- Piotr Nowaki (CSC)

Heavyweights are awesome, but I do feel they’re always eyeing me up as an entreé. For that reason I’m going to pick Nowaki as he’s Polish and they seem to have higher quality meat there, so he may not want to eat me as much.
    My pick: Nowaki by TKO rd2

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Greg “The Hitman” Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Jorge Santos (MMA Lucan)

No offence to Jorge but this is a shocking mis-match.
    To put a guy who has just started training mma in his first fight, with no stand up experience, up against a vet of 39 pro fights is ridiculous.

Fair play to Jorge for accepting it but I think this is reckless by cage contender. Sure, a guy pulled out at short notice but the promotion must have a match maker with enough common sense to see that this fight doesn't make sense.

monkey8 wrote: »
    No offence to Jorge but this is a shocking mis-match.
    To put a guy who has just started training mma in his first fight, with no stand up experience, up against a vet of 39 pro fights is ridiculous.

Fair play to Jorge for accepting it but I think this is reckless by cage contender. Sure, a guy pulled out at short notice but the promotion must have a match maker with enough common sense to see that this fight doesn't make sense.

Your obviously very knowledgeable so why not share your knowledge of Jorge's full combat background & experience with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Your obviously very knowledgeable so why not share your knowledge of Jorge's full combat background & experience with the rest of us.

since its an mma fight, their mma experience is more relevant. a good bjj background is not much good with no wrestling, stand-up experience.
    I'm sure Joprge will become a good mma athlete in time put I can't help feel he's being thrown to the wolves here.

Jorges mma experience about 8 months of mma training
    0 fights

Gregs mma experience 10 years as a pro
    fought for Bellator
    39 pro fights

mis-match? i think so.

monkey8 wrote: »
    since its an mma fight, their mma experience is more relevant. a good bjj background is not much good with no wrestling, stand-up experience.
    I'm sure Joprge will become a good mma athlete in time put I can't help feel he's being thrown to the wolves here.

Jorges mma experience about 8 months of mma training
    0 fights

Gregs mma experience 10 years as a pro
    fought for Bellator
    39 pro fights

mis-match? i think so.

So let me get this right...... We have a situation where 2 seasoned and highly accomplished martial artists both with over 10 years experience are going into a fight to see who will win using different styles. I think it could be a good test to see which style works best, infact I think they could make a sport out of it..... Oh, wait hold on!

You are of course entitled to your opinion and we do welcome your view. At least 2 other people have PM'd me with similar arguments. But I stand by my decision on this one. I don't believe it to be reckless or more importantly dangerous.

Over the last few years I think I have probably made more matches than anyone in Ireland and while sometimes the odd eyebrow has been raised I can think of only 2 or 3 out of close to 150 that were mis matched. We will see how this one goes and if I am wrong I will as always hold my hands up and say so.

@ John Ferguson.

What's Jorge Santos's MMA record?

@ John Ferguson.

What's Jorge Santos's MMA record?

This sport is Mixed Martial Arts. The secret is in the name.

On some occasions the number of fights on record are not the biggest factor. I believe this to be one of these occasions.

If I had matched Greg with a novice with no combat experience I would agree with all the arguments, but he is not novice.

This sport is Mixed Martial Arts. The secret is in the name.

On some occasions the number of fights on record are not the biggest factor. I believe this to be one of these occasions.

I understand you have a job to do (and i respect you for that). For me this is similar to James Toney taking on Randy Couture in the UFC, ie an extremely experienced MMA fighter against an athlete from another combat sport. You seem to be getting very defensive or maybe you are being purposely obtuse. I'm only looking for Jorges MMA record?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Monkey8 correctly pointed out a few posts ago that this will be Jorges first MMA fight.

I think your wrong about the freak show aspect, but time will tell :)

Advertisement